This Is What It Means To Feel

**** This chapter is based off of  Season 3 Episode 16 Offspring, Episode 17 Sins of the Father, 20 Tin Man (small mention), 22 The Most Toys****

Dezirae was visiting Deanna in her quarters when she sensed something that could only be described as odd "Lal!?!"  Dezirae whispers with a confused concerned tone Deanna looks at her oddly "she's.... frightened of something.... I do not understand....!"  Dezirae tells her just then the door chimes "well she certainly knows who to go to for such things"  Dezirae says softly Deanna chuckles then says "come in"  the door opens to reveal a unsettled looking Lal "hello, Lal how are you?"  Deanna asks "Troi.... Admiral.... Admiral.... an admiral from Starfleet has come to take me away, Troi I am scared"  Lal replies then she feels Dezirae envelop her arms around her and after a few seconds she copies the motion then says "I feel it how is this possible?"  Dezirae whispers softly into her hair "we'll figure this out Lal"  Dezirae looks at Deanna and says "Data needs to know"  Deanna nods as Lal says with a scared tone "this is what it means to feel this is what it means to.... "feel".."  Dezirae looks at her and says as she slides her hand along Lal's cheek lovingly "I know your scared but we will figure this out!.... why don't we head to the lab and run a diagnostic?"  Lal nods then the two women lead the child out of the room and head towards the lab.... "I'm sorry to bother you Data but your daughter needs you in the lab as soon as you can make it"  Data, Picard and a confused looking "visiting" Admiral hear Dezirae say with a worried tone through the com Data looks at Picard who nods and Data walks out of the conference room "acknowledged, he's on his way is there a problem!?"  Picard asks "she is scared and needs her father's comfort not some teddy bear"  Dezirae replies and now it was Picard's turn to look confused.... as soon as Data enters the lab with the Admiral and Picard not too far behind Deanna goes into a full explanation of what she experienced "it lasted barely a moment she experienced fear and confusion and then after Dezirae suggested it we walked here here and through she didn't say another word each step became more and more difficult"  Deanna says "Lal is programmed to return to the lab in the event of a malfunction.... I thank you for suggesting it"  Data replies looking at Dezirae who nods then she says "emotions are not a malfunction no matter where they come from Data!"  Data looks at her and sees the pain in her eyes from his words "I did not mean it like that"  Data replies "I agree with Data"  the Admiral says "of course you would!"  Dezirae mutters "father"  Lal says as though just realizing he was here "yes, Lal I am here"  Data replies "well then.... DATA.... what is wrong with your child!?! besides the fact the Admiral made her feel like she needed counseling!"  Dezirae asks with a harsh sarcastic bite Data tilts his head at her "no offense Deanna"  Dezirae says with a much softer tone the woman beside her who was trying not to laugh replies with a smile "none taken.... mother"  Dezirae rolls her eyes and Deanna once again tries not to laugh "it appears to be a symptom of cascade failure it would require initialization the base matrix without wiping out the higher functions"  Data says "I agree may I assist?"  the Admiral asks Data looks at him and replies "thank you, Admiral"  the Admiral looks at everyone else and says "if you'll excuse us, Commander Data and I have much to do"  the other three walk out of the room Dezirae place a comforting hand on Lal's shoulder and says with a comforting tone "you'll be fine we'll be right outside if you need us"  Lal replies "ok mother"  Data sees Dezirae shake her head in disappointment at him as she walks by and hears her say into his ear in a soft harsh tone only he could hear once she reaches his side "maybe you should check yourself once you're through with her!"  he opens his mouth to speak but she was gone before he had the chance to say anything and that made him sad.... "well that's a relief!"  Deanna hears Dezirae say "what is!?!  Deanna asks "it's one thing for her to feel fear.... if she were truly malfunctioning in the way they seem to claim she is she would have felt him open her up but she didn't"  Dezirae replies Deanna nods somewhat understanding what she meant "how is it you sense the emotions of those who have none!?!"  Wesley.... who arrived a minute or so after Deanna and Dezirae walked out of the lab with Picard....who had returned to his duties.... asks curiously "I'm not sure.... though I have a feeling I do more than just "sense" their emotions.... though I'm not so sure you truly need an emotion chip to feel them.... after all in his own way Data shows bits of emotions he claims he doesn't feel without my help"  Dezirae replies "this is true"  Geordi.... who came with Wesley.... says Deanna smiles and for no particular reason Geordi, Wesley and Deanna laugh Dezirae just smiles once the laughter dies down the Admiral walks out of the room rubbing his hands like a surgeon after he just finishes surgery and says "she won't survive much longer there was nothing anyone could have done we'd repolarize one pathway and another would collapse and then another his hands.... were moving faster than I could see, trying to stay ahead of each breakdown he refused to give up he was remarkable it just.... wasn't meant to be"  Dezirae rushes past him into the room hearing the doors open Data looks over and sees Dezirae staring at him and Lal as though she was unsure she should walk over and give him a hug so he does it for her.... anything to feel her comfortingly loving arms around him.... she reaches over and wraps her arm around Lal who hugs her back "Lal? I am unable to correct the system failure"  Data says looking at his daughter as he lets Dezirae go "I know"  Lal replies as she copies her fathers motion and lets Dezirae go while looking into her fathers eyes  "we must say goodbye now"  Data says "I feel...."  Lal replies looking from her "mother" to her father "what do you feel, Lal?"  Data asks "I love you, father.... mother"  Lal replies once again looking from one to the other Dezirae smiles at her as Data says "I wish I could feel it with you"  Lal replies "I will feel it for both of us thank you for my life, flirting, laughter, painting, family, female, human...."  then Lal shuts down and Data once again hugs Dezirae wishing he had the capability to cry "would you like it if I helped you place her within you!?"  Dezirae asks Data looks up at her and replies "I would like that very much"  she kisses his forehead then gets to work he tilts his head then smiles and goes to help her "oh dear!.... I just thought of something"  Dezirae says "what is that!?"  Data asks "you'll know know what kind of kisser Will is!"  she replies he looks at her oddly and she laughs for him which makes him smile for he realized she was joking.... though he would indeed somewhat know how "good" a kisser Riker is thanks to his child "forcing" Will into giving her her first and only kiss....