A Change In Data/If I Only Had A Heart

****This chapter is based off of  Season 2 season 6 The Schizoid Man****

A month later Dezirae was called over to Data's quarters along with Geordi and Deanna.... her quarters are right across from Data's so she didn't have very far to go and she waited till she saw the other two before heading over.... she shrugged at Geordi when he asked her if she knew what was going on and the three of them walk in to Data's quarters after they hear Data says in a somewhat sing song voice "come in"  Geordi and Dezirae say in harmony "Data?"  they hear Data answer somewhat excitedly "Geordi? Dez?.... is Counselor Troi with you?"  Deanna answers "yes I'm here Data Geordi said you wanted to see us"  Data replies "indeed or stated more correctly I wanted you to see me"  with a smile Dezirae walks into Data's bedroom where he is standing in front of a mirror he doesn't turn but his eyes lock with hers in the mirror as the other two walk in "did you damage your face Data?"  Geordi jokes seeing the brightness in Dezirae's smile he realizes that Geordi was joking but he still answers rubbing the beard softly as though it were a pet "it is a beard Geordi a fine, full dignified beard one which commands respect and projects thoughtfulness and dignity well? opinions?"  Deanna answers trying not to laugh and to come up with a polite way to do so "it's um.... very different"  Data says "when I stroke the beard thusly do I not appear more.... intellectual?"  Geordi stifles a laugh as Deanna says "I'm sorry I have to go now goodbye"  she laughs on her way out Data turns and asks "why was she laughing?"  Geordi couldn't come up with an answer Dezirae says softly "they're not use to the beard.... if you do plan on keeping it it will take them awhile to get use to...."  she softly touches Data's arm and looks into his eyes and says "beard or no beard.... I like you as you are Data.... and so do they.... but it is up to you if you choose to keep it"....

Data went down with Worf, Deanna and a Vulcan doctor to the planet when he came back Dezirae noticed a difference in his behavior the others on the other hand did not not completely especially how much attention to the assistant of the Doctor who ...

Data went down with Worf, Deanna and a Vulcan doctor to the planet when he came back Dezirae noticed a difference in his behavior the others on the other hand did not not completely especially how much attention to the assistant of the Doctor who died Kareen received from him she watched him but stayed at a distance from him and says nothing everyone notices how different she is how far she keeps away from him how the spark in her was gone but her love for him stays and she worries about him...."beautiful isn't it!?"  Dezirae asks the curly blonde haired woman who came back with the away team as she stared out the window the woman jumps at the sound of her voice the turns to face her with a smile "oh.... yes.... it is.... quite"   Dezirae looks at her and replies "I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you.... I'm Dezirae"  the two women shake hands as the other replies "KareenDezirae asks her gently "may I sit with you!?"   Kareen answers "of course Dezirae sits at the table and picks up one of the glass balls laying in the bowl in the middle of the table Kareen goes back to looking at the stars in silence.... the two women end up conversing till Data walks in.... Dezirae immediately noticed the change in him.... his eyes widen when he sees her and he stares at her like she is his next meal and he has been starved for over a decade the softness in them is all gone he doesn't even seem to recall who she is.... she stands up and bows as she says "Mr. Data"   he smiles at her and there is a darkness in his smile that she has never seen before which worries her and she says looking at the blonde "it was nice to meet you Kareen.... but I have to go"  Kareen replies "oh.... you too"  Dezirae places the ball back in the bowl and walks away quickly.... Dezirae skipped the funeral.... when they were on the bridge at the same time she stayed nearer to Worf she ignored Data completely seeing the worried look on her Klingon friends face she whispers sadly "he is.... not himself.... it's like he's been possessed.... taken over by some unknown force who.... he didn't even recognize me when he returned from the planet.... he's.... so cold!"  she stops talking as Picard brings Kareen onto the bridge..... Data watched as Kareen laughed and joked with Dezirae once again in the Ten Forward he was getting angry "that's enough!!"  he demanded Kareen and Dezirae quickly look up "no "doctor" I don't think it is..... YOU'RE suppose to be dead!.... and yet you take over my friend.... and treat my other friends as though they are insignificantly beneath you.... you think that just because YOU felt something for her EVERYONE does.... I've known Jean-Luc longer than you and he IS NOT "in love" with Kareen he is being kind and doing his job.... she is pretty.... yes.... but beauty isn't everything!"  she grabs his arm and squeezes roughly and growls "I will NOT let you have him!"  just then Worf walks in "you can't stop me!"  Data says Dezirae smiles darkly at him "oh... but I can.... just ask LORE!"  she replies darkly as she walks backwards quickly taking him with her his eyes widen in shock of her strength "don't worry Guinan I will be taking this "outside".... Worf.... holodeck 2"  Dezirae says as she passes by her friends Guinan smiles at her and Worf nods as she continues over to the holodeck "computer Worf's training.... highest level"  Dezirae says the computer beeps "acknowledged enter when ready...."  Dezirae walks into the holodeck with Data in tow still walking backwards "you can't do this!.... you'll hurt him!"   Data says "no.... I won't.... you would have to turn him off to put yourself inside.... and you don't know how to turn him back on.... or pretend to be him.... you are too COLD.... there is no WARMTH in you like there is him.... even if I do.... he would understand"  Data's eyes widen and Worf enters the holodeck "you.... LOVE.... him!..... you're in love with a machine!!"  Dezirae answers angrily "no.... I'm in love with a MAN!.... YOU ARE THE MACHINE!"  she lets go of Data's wrist and kicks him backwards into a holographic enemy "highest level Worf"  she hollers over to her Klingon friend as she fights the body of the Android she loves who's eyes widen then Worf nods ready for anything "he IS inside Data.... I had to think of something that would at least present a challenge for him"  Dezirae says  "true!"  Worf replies "besides.... I don't believe he knows Data's true potential.... everything he is capable of.... or that I never call him "Mr. Data".."  she says Worf smiles as he fights the holographic men....

"I forgot to tell the Captain where I had gone"  Dezirae says Worf laughs then replies "don't worry I told him"  Dezirae asks "did you warn him of this!?"  Worf answers "no"  Dezirae laughs and Data stops fighting when he hears her laugh she looks over at him "Worf.... go get the Captain"  Worf looks at her and she looks back at him "I'll be fine.... I think.... I might just have to talk to him.... he was angry before.... if he were still human he would be too tired to be angry.... seeing that he has no battle experience himself.... he might have died a second time in the past half an hour or so"  Worf nods and leaves Dezirae changes the scenery of the holodeck to Data's home planet before the entity destroyed it and says softly "I just want my friend back Graves.... you are not intentionally an "evil" man.... but what you have done.... you think of him as only a machine.... to everyone aboard this ship he is SO much more!.... a friend, a family member..... a loved one.... yes.... I do understand.... everyone is afraid to die.... you're sad because you never got the chance to love the woman you fell in love with.... and if you stay in there.... I will never get that chance either.... did you notice how strong you have become while inside Data!?.... what if the ones you hurt weren't holoprojections!?.... what if they were real!?.... what if it was Kareen!?.... you would never want to hurt her.... let me show you something"  she touches Data's forehead and all the memories she senses on the ship that have Data within them including her own play within his head.... "now do you see!?.... do you see what they see!?.... what I see.... perhaps not in the way I see it though"  Data chuckles and she smiles then says "I miss him.... we ALL miss him!.... and she will miss you.... but.... she IS human... and she needs time to grieve and then move on.... but trust me when I tell you.... she will NEVER forget you.... nor will she try to.... I'm betting that there are good memories with her.... if you stay.... they won't continue to be good.... you will do something you will regret.... then what!?.... are you willing to lose her forever because you decided to be selfish!?.... yes Data has wondered about being human.... and even wanted to be human for the longest time.... but this is not the way for him to be able to do that!.... if you still want to live"   Data says softly placing a hand on her shoulder "no.... my time has come and gone.... I will.... I will...."  Data walks past her his body revealing the sorrow the man inside him feels and she let's him go then she sits on the cave rock that forms into Soong's lab