There Is Only One Data

****This Chapter is based off of Season 2 episode 9 Measure of a Man, Season 2 episode 11 Contagion (last paragraph)********

Dezirae walks over to Maddox and says calmly "there are kinder ways of doing this.... if you have only asked Data he may have.... but instead you used your title and the power it gives you to make your demands.... and just so you know.... no matter how many copies you made.... there will only be one Data.... I despise your cruelty.... would you have even cared!?!.... when you took him apart that you could have killed him!?!"  she pauses as though waiting for an answer then says "no.... I didn't think so"  Data walks over to Maddox and places his hand on Dezirae's shoulder Data tells Maddox "I formally refuse to undergo your procedure"  Maddox replies looking from one to the other "I will cancel that transfer order"  Data says "thank you and, Commander, continue your work when you are ready, I will still be here I find some of what you propose intriguing"  Data walks away with Dezirae at his side.... once outside the courtroom Dezirae lets out a sigh Data looks at her curiously "are you ok!?"  he asks softly "I'm.... I am glad you're staying"  she replies "as am I"  Data says still curious as she walks away and he watches her leave after a few seconds he follows..... Data finds Dezirae leaning up against the wall in Ten Forward looking at the stars in silence and slowly walks over to her and stands opposite of her but says nothing as he watches her in silence.... a few seconds later she looks over at him as though as she just realized that he was there "oh!.... hello again"  she says softly then asks with a slightly nervous tone "were you....!?!.... I can....!"  Data interrupts her by asking "are you avoiding me!?!.... why!?!"  she replies "no!.... I'm.... not..... avoiding you..... I....!"  she looks deeply into his golden eyes and says softly "you..... confuse me Data!.... make me feel emotions I haven't felt.... in quite some time..... but I'm.... afraid to act upon them for I know you will tell me that you are incapable of feeling the same way.... and to force myself on you....! to.... make you pretend to....! I know you would.... just to make me happy.... but it wouldn't make me happy Data!.... I'm not like them!.... I can't....! I'm just grateful to be your friend.... and if that is where I must stay.... then so be it!.... I won't allow you to.... act on emotions you can't even feel for yourself.... besides.... who knows if what I feel is really my own and not just a strange mix of everyone else's played out through me.... people hide behind so many masks"  Dezirae hadn't noticed how close Data had become till she felt his lips lightly press up against hers she backs away in surprise and says with a soft surprised tone "Data!?!"  his lips meet hers again this time for a little longer than the last "what did I just....!?!"  she asks she could almost hear him chuckle though she knows that he didn't he takes her hand and walks her out of Ten Forward and into her quarters where he continues to kiss her....

"Data!?!"  Dezirae asks softly out of breath "this is my choice.... I want this!.... I want to love you in all the ways I know how"  Data answers sliding his hand up he cheek as he looks into her eyes she couldn't help but smile "if you allow it of course.... will you allow me too....!?!"  he asks with a hint of confusion in his tone she stands up on her tippy toes sliding her hand up his cheek and around the back of his neck as she kisses him "is that a yes!?"  Data asks Dezirae chuckles softly and he smiles... after the Enterprise downloaded it's sister ship Yamato's logs Dezirae kept busy helping the medical crew take care of all the injuries the people had faced she walks into sickbay and hears one of the Medical officers say "Dr Pulaski?"  and Dr Pulaski reply "yes?"   the man says "I've got a problem here the knitter isn't working"  Pulaski replies "try a splint"  the man says with a confused tone "doctor?"  Pulaski replies "splint it's an ancient concept you take two flat pieces of wood, or plastic, a bandage the broken limb is kept immobile"  the man says "that's not practicing medicine"  Pulaski replies "yes, it is it's a time-honored way with your head, your heart, and your hands so jump to it"  Dezirae walks over and says "I've got it you go see if you can help someone else.... just remember just because it's not a way you're used to doesn't mean it isn't "practicing medicine".... there are planets out there with people who aren't as advanced as well as there are planets that are even more advanced.... if you ever get a chance you should have the computer teach you a few things about the "old ways" of "practicing medicine" you might actually start wondering how you humans lived so long!"  the man looks at her rolls his eyes and walks away and Dezirae gets to work making a splint for the patients leg "you alright Dez!?"  the patient asks concerned "yes.... just slightly tired.... I'll rest when the rest of you are better"  she replies "was I rude!?.... I didn't mean to be"  she adds "nah.... he's just a child"  the patient replies with a smile she chuckles softly then asks "that's not too tight is it.... Katherine!?"  Dr Pulaski walks over and checks her work "well done"  Pulaski says patting Dezirae on the shoulder "Adam!?"  Dezirae ask the patient "it feels fine Dez"  the patient replies "well unless you need me I'm off to check the other decks"  Dezirae says "no.... I think we're good for now"  Pulaski replies Dezirae smiles and pats the patient on the arm then walks away with a wave.... "well that must have been a shocking experience!"  Geordi hears a familiar teasing voice say as he lays on the Engineering floor with Data kneeling above him "funny!"  Geordi replies as though not amused then he says "Data?"  Data replies "yes?"  Geordi asks "what happened?"  Data replies "any answer would be speculation this is yet another example of how our actions have random results"  Geordi says "thanks, Data I noticed"  Dezirae chuckles softly then says "you asked!"  Geordi smiles and replies "that I did"  Dezirae kneels down on Geordi's other side and checks him over.... as Data went with Picard and Worf to the planet Dezirae kept herself busy by continuing to help those that needed it no matter what it was when all of the sudden she felt a shock go to her head, shoulder, arm and heart and then her heart being squeezed like a stress ball being held by someone who is overly stressed or and orange "Data!!"  she whispers softly then heads towards the bridge.... yes she knew that he was part of the away team but something told her to head that way and so she did.... "no.... wait.... Engineering"  she whispers to herself then she changes course and heads towards the Engineering Room.... a few minutes later Dezirae sits next to Data who was laying on a cot in the Engineering Room as Geordi checked his systems she wasn't listening to the words being spoken but to what was going on inside Data himself and how everything seemed to be jumbled she held his hand and tried her best to calm whatever was inside it seemed that Data felt her search inside him and he tried to focus on that.... on her.... "he's gone"  Dezirae hears Geordi say "no he's not.... I can still feel him"  she tells him softly "it's possible that he may have had to shut down.... there was a lot going on in his.... well.... everywhere.... kind of like sleeping.... giving his body and mind a rest from the chaotic things happening within him"  she adds "I hope you're right"  Geordi says softly....

A few seconds later Data's eyes open he sits up and looks around his eyes lock with Dezirae's as he says "I am accessing"  Geordi says in a somewhat excited voice as though he finally understood what was going on "the self-correcting mechanism"  Data says "Captain? Captian!"  Dezirae tells him "he's not back yet.... don't worry I'm sure he's gotten himself out of stickier situations than this"  Riker chuckles and replies "indeed he has"  Desiree teases "they have to do with a woman don't they!?!.... or is that just you!?!"  Riker laughs as Geordi continues his explanation as though the two of them didn't say anything at all "it's constantly kicking in to make minute adjustments in the positronic brain"  as they were talking Data continued to look around and he says "I'm on the Enterprise how did I get here?"  his eyes meet Dezirae's once more and he says almost as though he was surprised even his tone became a little softer as he spoke "you are here!?!"  she smiles and says "yes Data.... but you're not complete yet so whatever you're thinking will have to wait"  he nods making her chuckle softly which makes him tilt his head in confusion which only makes her smile grow more beautiful than he's ever seen it "he cleared the Iconian program from his system -- how?"  Riker asks "Iconia.... I was on Iconia, now I am on the Enterprise"  Data says once again looking around "Geordi this is critical -- how?"  Riker says "calm down R.... give them both time to think"  Dezirae says softly Riker smiles "there was an incompatible program running through Data's systems so the mechanism looked for a way to keep him alive the solution.... the solution was a shutdown and a total wipe of affected memory"  Geordi says in a somewhat excitable tone as though he figured everything out "see!"  Dezirae teases nodding her head towards Geordi who walked over to Riker as he spoke "query what have I forgotten?"  Data asks "that your eyes are blue!"  Desiree teases "can you do it with the Enterprise?"  Riker asks Geordi "I don't see why not but it will have to be a complete shutdown -- we turn her off and effect a wipe of the Yamato log, including every event since we downloaded it I'll then be able to reload all the ship's programs from the protected archives in the main core"  Geordi replies "Geordi, if we shut down, that means we're going to be bringing down the shields and we're hanging nose to nose with Romulan Battle Cruiser"  Riker says "hey Commander whether it's Romulan phasers or our own warp engines, we're just as dead"  Geordi replies "make it so"  Riker says then he walks out of Engineering and Geordi walks away from the cot and gets to work Data watches the two of them rush around then he locks eyes with Dezirae he kisses her lips and says "they are not they are gold"  she chuckles with a smile and says as she helps him off the cot "come on.... let's go see if Geordi needs help"  she could have sworn she saw a smile cross his face but maybe she just saw it in his eyes as she always has.... Data took Dezirae to the Bridge with him once everything was all set Riker allowed her to sit in his chair at Data's side as Data took the Captain's chair and Riker went to the Transporter Room to receive Picard