10: The Old Woman.

Start from the beginning

Now, all I have to do is call her to inform her of my whereabouts with hopes that she will remember my voice.

"Good day, ma'am. This is Mrs. Roberts, the lawyer you some with two days ago. I'm currently at Bradenburg. Could you please describe your residence so I can find you with ease?"

I started to think that I might sound creepy for knowing her house address when we had never met, so I started to formulate the words to explain myself, but the reply she gave was very relieving.

"Are you from Barrister Peret?"

"Yes, ma'am!" I affirm eagerly.

"Alright. He told me about you. I'll come and get you. Vere eskactly are you? Did you come vit a car? If you did, vat's se color?"

"Metallic blue, ma'am."

"O-okay."

She disconnected the call. I pleaded for Myron to let the old woman find me first before she drove away, and she agreed, giving witty comments on reimbursement for the price of fuel. All of the jokes vanished when we saw the old woman a couple of minutes later.

Oh, God.

I should not have let the old woman walk all the way to find me. I regretted causing this frail woman to go through such stress.

Why are you still lamenting? You should be covering the distance left between you two right now!

"Oh no. You don't have to run, my dear. I may look very fragile, but I still have enough energy to take a valk. Don't vorry about me," the old woman looked at me and smiled warmly as she watched me pant like a raging dog.

I clasped her shoulders gently as I took more deep breaths. All of her hair was gray and lengthy, stopping at her mid-back. Her back was a bit hunched, but I could still see her wrinkled, beautiful face. She had big brown eyes like Barrister Peret. Or was she?...

Oh my God!

"I had to, ma'am. I'm sorry for making you stress your muscles."

"It's fine. I had to come and get you. Vere I stay is farther down se street. I didn't vant you to get lost or become a victim of se mishaps of an unsafe neighborhood."

"Oh...I'm still sorry, though, " I said.

Myron didn't mind utilizing some more fuel that afternoon as she drove us to the old woman's place before she left.

***

The distance Myron had covered by driving would have been difficult for me to cover if I'd walked with my feet. The old woman was right.

The old lady's house was an impressively furnished place adorned with artworks, sculptures, and elegant architecture gracing the walls, the doors, and even the sofa we sat on. We were by the embers, blue walls by our sides, beautified with collages carved from pebbles.

"It's a lovely house you live in, ma'am."

"Sank you, dear," she smiled at me. "But sadly, I live here all alone."

"How so?"

Tears started to form around her eyes quickly. Initially, I was tempted to wonder if I had said something wrong, but I'd only asked a question any human being would have asked. Hence, I stayed mute, understanding the agonizing feeling of recalling bad memories.

A consolation wasn't needed.

The old woman cleared her throat.

"I've lived my vole life in sis country. I got married to a British man at a young age. Ve loved each other so much, but ve had an issue vith vere to settle down after our vedding. Money vasn't se problem. I didn't vant to leave Germany, but he vanted me to come live vith him in Britain.