Chapter 15: Remain Calm

Wednesday, November 21, 1979

Nicole was woken by Michael's hands pressed against her back, shaking her gently.

Michael: Hey... We need to get up.

Nicole rolled over, stretching and rubbing her eyes to see Michael standing over her casually tucking a new shirt into yesterday's jeans before adjusting his belt. She sat up quickly, thinking she must've overslept.

Nicole: What's wrong-- What time is it?

Michael: We have company...

Nodding towards the window, Michael signaled for her to see for herself. Outside a crowd was forming. At least 100 young fans holding copies of their "Off the Wall" records were outside hoping for an autograph from the superstar hiding inside.

Nicole: How do they find you?

Michael: Could've been someone at the front desk when we checked in. Or another guest saw us at the elevator? It's hard to say.

Nicole: Wow...

It was still surreal to know this man was the cause of such commotion, but Nicole was past the point of doubting it now. Michael explained that security was on its way to disperse the masses, then someone would come up to escort them out to the car. They'd need to be prepared to leave at any minute. 

Suddenly very awake, Nicole ran off to get changed. Michael stood at the window surveying the group below. They were on the 5th floor off to the side of the building and certainly safe from view. But still, Michael found himself wishing Bill was here and wondered for a moment if he made a mistake in not having him come. Michael wasn't a good protector in situations like this. Not that he was ever fearful of his fans... But the public had never seen Michael Jackson leave a hotel with a female before. He knew his fans wouldn't hurt him, but who knows what they might do to Nicole. 

He picked up a pen, fidgeting and chewing the cap to calm his nerves, then sat on the bed again. Softly, Michael hummed the song still lingering in his head from last night. He missed the ballads of his younger years. Now people only wanted disco tracks that would play well on the radio. But songs like "Ben" or "I'll be There" or "Got to be There" were the true masterpieces. They were timeless. He'd been singing it for hours now, unable to sleep last night as continued fantasies teased his subconscious. Tempted by his sleeping girlfriend less than inches away, Michael was fearful of what his body may do without his mind alert to control himself. 

The bed shifted suddenly as Nicole sat next to him, shoulder to shoulder just like the night before. She looked refreshed, her face glowing with a little makeup, her hair pulled back. She wore a pink t-shirt, the pale color perfectly suited to her skin. She bumped her shoulder against his playfully and smiled kindly, reminding him instantly of the sweet girl he fell in love with.

Nicole: Thank you... For last night, I mean.

Michael: It was my pleasure. Did you sleep alright?