Chapter 42: Lazy Boyfriend

Sunday, February 3, 1980

Nicole: Hey, you busy?

Laura: Nah, what's going on?

Nicole: I just got off the line with Michael--

Laura interrupted with a loud groan. Her faith in Michael Jackson, the "boyfriend", was dwindling more and more each day. And unfortunately for Nicole, she was losing her ability to mask those frustrations. Nicole rolled her eyes and raised the irritation in her tone.

Nicole: Can you not?

Laura: Fine, sorry. I'm listening.

Nicole: Michael and I were talking about my birthday, you know, and Valentine's Day coming up... And he suggested that I visit him--

Laura: Again!? Why won't this man take the hint that you don't want to be his housemaid!?--

Nicole: Stop-- It's not like that! He said he wants to take me out shopping and site-seeing. We can explore the city! ... And, he wants you to come.

Grinning, Nicole clutched the phone tighter, imagining her friend's eyes growing wide on the other end.

Laura: ... Me? Come where!?

Nicole: To New York City of course! We'll fly first class and go ice skating in Central Park! Michael said his condo is right in the middle of Manhattan--

Laura: We can see a play on Broadway?

Nicole: Sure! And the Empire State Building--

Laura: And the Statue of Liberty!--

Nicole: And think of all the art museums and the fashion! It'll be wonderful!

Laura found herself immediately getting swept up in the excitement. A little country girl in a big city like that!? Going to a place like New York City, even for just a weekend, always seemed like such a dream. And dreams never came true for people like Laura.

Laura: I can't go...

Nicole: What do you mean!?

Laura: I-- I have to work. I can't take time off.

Nicole: It's just one weekend--

Laura: What am I even supposed to do out there? I can't go shopping in Manhattan, I can barely afford a hotdog from the street cart!

Nicole: This was Michael's idea. He wants to treat us--

Laura: No, he wants to treat YOU--

Nicole: That's not true--

Laura: For Valentine's Day!?

There was a hesitation as Nicole reconsidered. The invitation was incredibly generous, but it was also very much Michael's idea alone. She had hardly mentioned the holiday, knowing Michael wouldn't care to celebrate someone as silly and americanized as Saint Valentine. Secretly, Nicole hoped he would plan a way for them to see each other soon, but she never wanted to be that girlfriend. The insecure, needy girlfriend. Michael had enough stress, and they agreed long ago that school and work would remain the priorities. Though disappointing, Nicole understood Michael's reasoning for inviting Laura.