Chapter Twelve: Thanksgiving

It's finally November. I'm officially a month pregnant now and hiding it has been proving very difficult. My boobs are twice their size, certain foods and smells make me sick, and I'm always feeling fatigued. I still haven't decided when to tell Joseph or if I even want to. Right now we're on set for Joseph music video, First. I watch as he splashes around in the water like a little kid waiting for his leading lady. When she comes out everybody is getting into place and I watch as it starts. I feel a twinge of jealousy as Joseph's hands start roaming around her body. Not to mention that they're practically naked too. I shake my head and look off to the side. I notice Cody talking to some shady looking guy in the corner of the set. I move close enough to hear what they're saying.

   "I'm telling you, he and his assistant are definitely having an affair. I have the proof," Cody whispers.
  "Once I get the proof I'll write about it. What's taking you so long to cough it up?" the man asks.
  "I think I've found something even better than a simple affair. She might be pregnant with his kid," Cody replies. "I'm just waiting for her to announce it." I had my suspicions about him being the blackmailer, but this just confirms it.
"I need to speak to Joseph. It's important," I tell the director.
"Let's take a five-minute break everybody," he calls out. Joseph puts a robe and walks over to me confused.
"Why did you—"
"Cody is the blackmailer," I whisper to him. "I heard him talking to that guy over there. He has proof."
"I knew that motherfucker was up to no good," he grumbles. "What should we do?"
"I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead," I answer. "Maybe we can find out what his motive is."
  "I bet it has something to do with him wanting Julia," Joseph says.
  "What do you mean?"
  "When I found out about their affair he made her choose between me and him," he explains. "Maybe this is his revenge plan."
  "You might be onto something. If you find out more let me know." Joseph nods then looks over at Cody with an angry expression on his face. I place my hand on his arm and squeeze.

   "Cool it. We have to act normal so he doesn't get suspicious," I warn.
  "I know, it's difficult acting normal with what you told me. I can't believe he would stoop so low.."
  "We just have to keep a close eye on him."
  "Right. I've been wanting to tell you that you look very thick lately," he smirks. "In a good way of course."
  "I've just been eating well," I joke. "What are your plans for Thanksgiving?"
  "Hang with my family. What about you?"
  "I'm going to visit my mom. She lives in Fort Worth," I respond.
  "That's not too far. I hope you have fun."
  "Thank you."
—————————
Thanksgiving day

   "Mom I don't know why you always cook so much," I comment on the excessive amount of food she makes every year.
  "Well Jasmine you're eating for two now," she grins.
  "I need to limit how much I eat. Joseph noticed my weight gain," I sigh.
  "You still haven't told him?" she asks.
  "Not yet. I'm figuring out when to tell him," I explain. "That pound cake smells really good."
  "You must be carrying a girl if you're craving sweets," my mother says with a raised eyebrow.
  "That's just an old wives tale," I retort. "I could be carrying a boy, who knows." As we're both joking around, the doorbell rings followed by a knock.
  "I'll get it," I say while walking to the front door. When I open it I'm surprised to see none other than Joseph.

   "Oh my god, what are you doing here?" I whisper while closing the door behind me.
  "Thought I'd surprise you," he smiles, his chocolate eyes beaming with happiness.
  "No, you can't do that. You're supposed to be with your family," I say slightly angry.
  "Aren't you glad to see me?" he pouts.
  "I am, but.. I don't know, I just wanted it to be me and my mother."
  "Can I meet her?" he asks.
  "No! She'll fight you for being a cheater. I already got an earful for being a mistress."
  "Please?"
  "You know what? It's your funeral," I tell him while opening the door. "Mom there someone who wants to meet you." I take Joseph in the kitchen where my mom is putting the food away. She looks up from the table, a russet brown lock falls from her head and goes in front of her eye.

   "Who is this handsome young man?" she questions.
  "This is Joseph, my boss," I answer. "Joseph this is my mother, Sasha."
  "It's a pleasure to meet you," he says while shaking her hand.
  "Oh. You're Joseph. I'll admit you have nice taste, Jasmine."
  "Moooom, please. We've moved past that," I mumble.
  "Are you hungry?"
  "Yes. That hour drive really starved me," Joseph says. He sits down at the table while my mom sets a plate down in front of him. I slide in the chair next to him and watch as he and my mother go back and forth talking and laughing. This feels nice. It's like I have my own little family.
——————————
I hope you're all enjoying the revamped chapters 😊