Chapter Twenty Seven: Fresh Start

"Joseph you know I hate staying home alone," I pout.
"I know sweetness, but I have to make a good first impression with my new manager," he says. "I'll be home before you know it. Besides JJ is sick and wants you to stay home."
"I know. I love that little boy as if he were my own," I gush.
  "And he loves you too. You haven't heard anything from Julia have you?"
  "Nope, it's been six months already, maybe she finally understood that you don't want her," I say. "Now go, I don't want your new manager nagging you." I kiss Joseph goodbye then head to JJ's room to check on him.
  "Hey love bug, how are you feeling?" I ask.
  "Hot," he answers sadly.
  "I'll go get you a popsicle okay? What flavor?"
  "Banana!" As I head out of his room, I poke my head in Cherish's room to check on her. She flutters her bright blue eyes opens and smiles at me.
"Hi mama," she yawns.
"Hi princess. You can go back to sleep if you're still tired," I whisper to her. She nods and turns around, falling back asleep. I head downstairs to the kitchen and open the freezer. It's not as cold as it usually is and the light is off. I grab a popsicle not thinking much of it and head back upstairs to JJ. I cut it open and hand it JJ. As I get up, I hear glass shatter from downstairs. Is someone breaking in?
"JJ, go in your sister's room and hide in the closet okay?" I tell him
"Bad people?"
"Maybe." I tiptoe downstairs and see the living room window shattered. As I turn around to run to my bedroom I see a gun pointed right in my face followed by Julia's sinister smile.
"I told you to watch your back, Jasmine. Let's go upstairs to chat," she giggles. "And don't try anything stupid."

   I carefully went up the stairs, trying to think of something I could do to get that gun out of her hand and to call the police.
  "Where's my son?" Julia asks.
  "With his sister," I answer.
  "Bring him to me," she demands.
  "I am not letting that boy anywhere near you," I say angrily. I elbow her ribs as hard as I can and grab the gun when she drops it. I try to run to Cherish's room, but Julia grabs a fistful of my hair and yanks it back.
"I told you not to do anything stupid," she sighs. She pulls out a pocket knife and flicks it open, gently gliding it over my face.
"I'm going to have so much fun carving up that pretty face of yours," Julia cheers.
"Jasmine!" I hear Chad yell. He and Cody run up the steps, Chad pushes Julia off and drags me to Cherish's room.
"Call the police," he says quietly. The sound of a gunshot rings in my ears and I see Cody fall to the floor. I cling onto Chad, shaking terribly.
"I don't want to lose you," I choke.
"Just in case anything happens, I love you so much," Chad says before kissing me deeply. He closes the door and I lock it, then pull my cellphone out and call the police.
  "I need the police and an ambulance, please. My husband's ex-girlfriend is insane and armed." As I'm finishing the call I hear Chad groan, I peek out and see him bleeding. I scurry out to the hallway and drag him in the room. I grab an old blanket and place pressure on his wound.
  "Help is on the way. Stay with me Chad," I say holding back tears. There's so much blood...

   "I have no idea how they knew you were in trouble or why they even bothered to help," Julia huffs. "Give me my son and house back now."
  "Fuck off! You're never getting JJ back!" I scream. I charge at her full force and knock her down the flight of stairs. A loud snap comes from the bottom and I peep to see Julia's leg bent out of shape. The police and ambulance finally arrives. I go down there to explain everything and tell the paramedics where Chad and Cody are.
  "She also faked her death to play some sort of sick psychological game on my husband," I explain to an officer.
  "If you remember anything else please let us know," the officer says. It's over. It finally over.
—————————

   I sit in a chair next to Chad's bed and listen to his heart monitor beep rhythmically. The doctors told me that he lost a lot of blood and it may take him a while to recover fully. Cody had a bullet stuck in his shoulder, but he's alright.
  "I should've given you chance," I whisper to Chad. "I should've told you how I felt in high school." I grab his hand and squeeze it softly, placing a kiss on it.
  "This is all my fault. You could have died trying to save me. My life isn't worth that much," I whisper. I felt his hand squeeze mine back, I look at his face and see a weak smile.
"Best day ever," he mumbles.
"Thank goodness you're okay. Oh my god, please don't ever risk your life," I sob.
"Shut up, I did it because I love you stupid," Chad says. "I'd do it again if I have to. Maybe in another lifetime, we'd be together."
"Ahem." I turn around and see Joseph in the doorway with his arms crossed.

"I'll let you get some rest," I whisper. I kiss Chad's forehead and walk out of his hospital room closing the door behind me. Joseph's usual warm soft eyes are now lifeless and glossy. He'd been crying. He pulls me in his arms and holds me tight in his embrace.
"I should've been there for you. I'm so fucking sorry Jasmine. I-I thought I lost you and Cherish," he cries. "I'm such a failure."
"Baby, it's okay. You couldn't have possibly known this would've happened. If it weren't for Cody and Chad, I'd probably be dead," I say in a calming tone. "I'm alright and Cherish is alright."
"Cody told me everything when I saw him. I owe them big time."
"Any word on Julia?" I ask.
"She's in a different hospital. I think she's going to be admitted into a psych ward," he answers. Thank god. She'll be locked up and getting help.
—————————

It's been seven months since the incident. I still have nightmares and always have to be with someone if Joseph isn't around. Everything's been draining me and I'm so exhausted. From being a stay at home mom to going to therapy, I just need a break. I'm going to see Chad later for lunch. He told me he needed to ask me something important. Then for dinner, Joseph said he also needed to ask me something.
"Hi Chad," I greet. I hug him and kiss his cheek. I'm so glad he's had such a speedy recovery. He thinks the scar across his stomach is so badass, he shows me every time I see him.
"So what did you want to ask me?"
"Well, do you want me to tell you first or do you want to eat first?"
"Tell me I've been dying to know," I reply.
"Jasmine as you I'm so in love you and I know you still have feelings for me," Chad starts.
"Chad I don't—"
"If you didn't you would've never confessed how you felt about me in the past," he interrupts. "Anyways, I want to start a life with you. We can move to Florida or someplace like that. Just me, you, and Cherish getting a fresh start in life. You don't have to answer me now, come to me when you feel ready."
"Chad I—"
"Don't make any decisions now. You'll regret it later," he says. "Trust me."
—————————

"Hey Joseph," I call out as I walk through the door.
"Hey, you. You made it," he says.
"What do you have to ask me?"
"Wow, just straight to the point huh?"
"Yeah. I've already dealt with enough surprises for one night," I sigh.
"I was thinking about selling the house and moving to California. After everything, I want to have a fresh clean start with you and the kids since we've all been through hell and back these past almost two years. You don't have to give me an answer right away. Just think about it," he explains.
"I will. I just want to turn over a new leaf," I say. "With the ones I love."
"Me too baby. I want to be able to protect you and the children. God knows how deeply I love you and I'd do anything for you," Joseph admits. "You're my whole world."
"Joseph I love you too. I would've never thought I'd be here with you in a million years," I say happily.
"It all just clicked huh? The moment I saw you, I knew I had to be with you," he says. "I know there was a better way to get with you, but I couldn't help myself."
"I'm glad everything happened the way it did. All the good and the bad. Who knows what would've happened if it were any other way."
"I'm glad too. Look where sleeping with my assistant got me now," Joseph jokes. I think back to everything that's happened to me from the moment I walked into that interview to now. I love Joseph and Chad. I can't believe I just confessed to loving Chad. The real question is who do I start my new life with?