Chapter Twenty Three: Will You?

I've been calling out of work for the past for few days now. I don't have the guts to see Chad or tell Joseph what happened. I don't want him to lose Chad, but he deserves to know the truth. Eventually. I pull out my phone to let Chad know that I won't be at work today.

Me: Not coming in today either
Chady boy: Still not feeling good?
Me: Yeah. How's Joseph doing?
Chady boy: He's fine, just misses you
Me: I miss working with him too. How have you been?
Chady boy: Fine too. Hope you feel better
Me: Thanks
Me: You know I'm going to have to tell him eventually
Chady boy: I'm well aware. If you're too scared I can tell him
Me: No. It should come from me
Chady boy: Better tell him soon or I'll do it

Me: Hey baby need to tell you something important when you get home
Joseph: You're not pregnant are you?
Me: No of course not. Just don't stay in the studio so late

   I place my phone on the bed and bury my face in a pillow. How is he going to react? I hope he doesn't fight Chad over this. As a million thoughts swarm around in my head, the doorbell rings a few times. I sit up, groaning because I'm not in the mood to interact with anyone. Persistent, the person keeps ringing the doorbell to get my attention. Annoyed, I march downstairs and swing the front door open.
  "I have two children who are taking a nap right now," I huff angrily. "Cody? What in the world are you doing here?"
  "Is Joseph here?" he asks quietly.
  "No he's not. You should know that," I retort.
  "Can I come in? I'd like to talk to you. I owe you a huge apology," he says. I cautiously let the devil himself into my home and watch him awkwardly walk in.
"I'm really sorry for all the shit I put you and Joseph through," he sighs. "I was really in love with Julia."
"What do you want?"
"I wanted to know if you could talk to Joseph for me. I know he won't forgive me, but I'll make it up to him if I have to," he replies.
"You seem sincere. You better not be fucking with me," I warn.
"I'm not. I swear I'm not. I realized I was wrong for blackmailing you guys after Julia went downhill. Whatever you guys need I'll do it."
"Thanks I guess. Um, maybe you can give me some advice."
"What is it?"
"Chad kissed me a while back and how should I tell Joseph?" I ask.
"Just tell him straight up what happened. If he gets mad he has every right to be," Cody answers. I suppose Joseph will be mad at me regardless of how I tell him.
——————————

"Joseph why are you taking me out?" I ask.
"Because there's something I need to do," he answers. "It's important."
"But I need to tell you something important," I say.
"Chad kissed you, I know. He told me," Joseph says.
"How did you react?"
"I was angry. Cody took Julia and I didn't want Chad taking you, but we talked and I got over it," he responds.
"Just like that?"
"Yeah. I fired him as my manager though. It was too much for him to work with you so I did him the honor."
"Are you guys still friends?"
"Somewhat. I told him not to contact me for a while. I don't care if he talks to you because I know you won't do anything," Joseph smiles while taking my hand. "Dr. Hernandez said he's proud of me. I don't get the blackouts or hallucinations anymore. I'm handling Julia's death in a healthy way."
"That's amazing babe! You've come a long way. So how are you handling it?"
"By writing positive music," he answers.
"You're still going to see Dr. Hernandez right?"
"Of course." Joseph pulls into my favorite Brazilian restaurant, which is surprisingly empty.
"Are they closed?" I ask.
"No. I just reserved the whole place for this moment," he beams. "After you my lady." We both get out of his car and head inside, he guides me to the outdoor seating area with all the beautiful flowers and fairy lights. At our usual table I can see our my favorite dish and a bottle champagne. They had live musicians tonight playing soft romantic music to set the mood. I sit in my seat and start eating slowly. I try to read Joseph's face, but his poker face is on point. He's up to something I just don't know what it is.

After we finish eating Joseph smiles warmly at me, taking my hand in his.
"You know I love you very much," he begins.
"I know and I love you too," I say.
"And I love my children."
"I know. What's this all about?" I ask eagerly. Joseph gets up from the table and gets on one knee. He pulls out a small burgundy velvet box and opens it, revealing a beautiful teardrop ring. Tears start to flood my eyes and I try my best to blink them away. He's really doing this.
"Jasmine Denise William, will you make me the happiest man in the universe and be my wife?" Joseph asks.
"Y-yes!" I stutter.