nightmares. | ashe

Fire surrounded the battlefield, the smoke obstructing your view. You fended off a few more enemies and called out, trying to find your allies. Nobody answered.

You swung your blade blindly through the flames, coughing. "Dimitri! Professor! Ashe, anyone!"

The smoke was clouding your lungs and your head was beginning to swim. Footsteps were heard around you, but you couldn't figure out if they belonged to the enemy or a friend. In a panic, you thrust your blade forward, only stopping when a familiar voice let out a pained cry. You stopped suddenly, completely letting go of your blade.

Ashe

The smoke cleared a little and the gray-haired man stood in front of you, hunched over. The sword was plunged in his stomach and one of his hands held onto the top of the wound, the other resting on the hilt of the knife that was strapped to his thigh. You ran to him, but he'd already collapsed on his knees.

You kneeled down and wrapped your arms around him. "It'll be okay. It's okay." You turned and screamed for help.

Ashe looked up at you angrily. "Why are you trying to help me, traitor?"

"Traitor- what?"

"I never thought you'd side with Edelgard, Y/N. I thought you were better than that," He scoffed. You were confused- you had sided with Dimitri, hadn't you? "I thought we had something."

"Ashe, I sided with Dimitri-" Pain blossomed in your stomach. You looked down and saw Ashe's dagger, plunged into your stomach. You looked into his eyes, tears collecting in your own.

"I'll wave to you if I ever see you in Hell, but I won't be going there."

You gasped and jerked your body. It was dark. There was nothing to see- no flames, no smoke, no sword in your hand. Looking around, you felt the plush pillow beneath your hand and your thin blanket covering your legs. At your side laid Ashe, alive and breathing. You had sided with Dimitri. You weren't a traitor. Ashe didn't hate you.

You sighed, trying to stay quiet and still, but you were shaking. Ashe mumbled and rolled to face you, bright green eyes nearly shining in the dark as he looked up at you.

"What's wrong?"

You'd never felt more relieved to hear a voice before. "Nothing. Just- just woke up suddenly, I guess." You laid back down.

Ashe gathered you into his arms, placing your head in his neck. You gripped his nightshirt. "I don't believe that one bit, but you don't have to talk about it. Can you fall back asleep?"

You thought for a moment. "Maybe. I don't know."

"Would you like for me to tell you a bedtime story?"

"I'm not a baby." You joked.

"You're my baby, so sit tight." Ashe kissed the crown of your head before taking a breath and telling a beautiful story about a princess and her knight in shining armor.

Such a fairy tale romance reminded you of Ferdinand and your heart ached for a minute, longing for the time before the war. Before you had killed so many of your classmates. A tear slipped down your face as Ashe got to the kissing scene. Feeling your tears wet his shirt, he pulled you even closer.

"Do you want me to stop?"

"N-no. Please. I'm just thinking."

"Thinking won't help you fall asleep," Ashe quietly laughed. You couldn't help but join and agree.

Instead of thinking, you said a prayer to the Goddess. You prayed for the souls of your lost friends to be at a peaceful rest, no matter how they sided, and held onto your lover. At least he was still alive. Sniffling once more, you relaxed a little as Ashe told the rest of his story.

"Do you think we'll live happily ever after, Ashe?"

"Any ending is a happily ever after with you, darling."