rough times. | dimitri

50 Wordless Ways to Say I Love You (#36): Helping brush their hair after a shower
----
Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd always considered himself to be clean and well-kept. He prided himself on his grooming and would sometimes scold those who weren't quite up on their game, yourself included. Dimitri's morning routine was a lengthy one and he always made sure to look his best, so surprised was an understatement when you saw him five years later.

You approached the man, whose hair had grown long and matted, whose face was muddied with dirt and scars and debris from the ever-slowly collapsing Monastery around him. He wouldn't look at you in the eyes when you spoke to him, instead brushing you off with words more dirty and vile than his being.

And yet, you couldn't blame him. The world had changed- he had changed- so much.

You recalled your Academy days. Days when getting out of bed and getting dressed and looking decent became nearly too much to handle. You remembered how Dimitri would help you, giving you as much time as you needed to slowly start your day. How he would wait for you after sitting outside of the baths, letting you sit in front of him as he tried to style your hair. He never did it quite right, but you hadn't the heart to correct him.

Dimitri was always so put together and he would go out of his way to make sure others shined just as brightly. To see him now- dulled, angry, out of place- your heart broke. You yearned to help him.

Every day, you would try to get close to him again. Every day, you would talk to the man only to be shot down and shooed away from the area of rubble that he claimed and sat at every day. Every day, your heart broke over and over again as you tried to get your Dimitri back.

Soon, you accepted that that Dimitri was never coming back. He was a shell of himself and you started to wonder if that was all he would ever be. Would you ever be able to feel his fingers run through your hair, telling you some silly story about Sylvain as a child? To hear him whisper that everything would be alright as you cried your heart out? Dimitri made you finally feel like you were good enough, but why wouldn't he let you return the favor?

"Because I don't need your comforts." He told you. "I don't need your pity. I'm fine, now go."

You were persistent. "How long has it been since you've bathed? Since you've taken care of yourself? You'll feel a little better if you just-"

"I don't need to! I will feel better when I kill Edelgard."

His gaze was growing angry, so you could only sigh and take your leave. Dimitri knew your limits in the past, so the least you could do would be to respect his.

If you thought you'd seen Dimitri's worst, you were wrong.

Rodrigue, Felix's father, took a hit for the blonde man and unfortunately passed away. You didn't know who was taking it the worst- Felix or Dimitri. Felix had spent the past three days after his father's death in the training area. You knew he was beating himself up and simply wouldn't talk about it. He may have been harsh on his father, but he still cared for him. Sylvain often tried to relieve your worries by checking on him daily, bringing him food and trying to talk to him. Most of the encounters ended with Sylvain being chased out of the area, but you appreciated his efforts nonetheless.

Dimitri, on the other hand, concerned you greatly. One may think that the complete turnaround of his attitude was a good thing, but it only concerned you even more. He'd apologized to everyone that he was rude to in the past- except you. You waited for the day that he would come to you and say sorry for pushing you away, but he never did.

"Dimitri, open the fuck up." Your knuckles slammed harshly against his door. You had marched yourself to his room after he completely ignored you at a meeting and left without another glance once it was over. Fed up was an understatement.

The man opened the door, his eye widening at the sight of you. "Y/N-"

"Let me in. You've got some explaining to do."

Dimitri opened the door wide enough for you to slip in and you marched to his bed, sitting with your arms crossed. He wouldn't meet your gaze, instead leaning against the desk and pushing his damp hair out of his face. Thank Goddess he finally is showering. "I think I've explained myself to everyone that I am okay now."

"Everyone except for me. Every single day I tried to talk to you and to support you, but you brushed me off. Even now, after you claim that you're okay, you refuse to talk to me or even look at me. What did- did I do something wrong?" Tears filled your eyes as anxiety began to course through you. Maybe you were the bad guy-

"Absolutely not. I feared that... after I treated you so poorly, that you wouldn't forgive me. So I avoided you like a coward instead of facing my fears."

You sighed and held your hand out. "Hand me your comb."

"What?"

"Your comb. You would always do my hair when I needed comfort. I think it's about time that I return the favor." You smiled softly as Dimitri did just that, sitting on the floor in between your legs so that you could reach.

He titled his head back, leaning into your touch and relishing the feeling of your fingers massaging his scalp. "I'm so sorry, Y/N."

"Silly, I've already forgiven you. Just- if you ever feel bad, y'know, and get anxious or angry or upset or anything, please come to me. You were there for me for so long-"

"I wasn't there for five years. Don't give me such credit."

"I'll give you as much credit as I please- and keep still! Your hair is going to end up with more knots than it started." You playfully yanked on a strand, your heart flipping when you saw him finally crack a small smile. "You were there for me in my rough times. Please, let me be there for yours."

"...Okay."