nightmares. | felix

50 Wordless Ways to Say I Love You (15): Calming them down after a bad dream.

---
In times of danger, the human body tends to heighten its senses. This is a necessary survival technique. One that you were currently experiencing.

The scent of smoke flooded your lungs- an enemy had set the battlefield on fire. You couldn't see far in front of you from the gray ashes and your throat burned, making you cough with every step.

Everything was loud. Too loud. The screams- of enemies, your friends, the innocent- were too much to bear. Throughout the chaos, everything tuned out as your own scratchy voice rang through the air, chanting a mantra that had been on repeat for hours as you scoured the battlefield.

"Felix!"

There was an answer, but not from the man you had called out to.

Instead, the sound of hooves surrounded you. They came from every direction, coming closer and closer. You couldn't catch your breath. You gulped, but it hurt. The hooves were getting louder. Was there one? Two? Three?

You circled around yourself, weapon brandished tightly. You turned and suddenly the smoke cleared and a long lance came into view, swinging right towards your neck-

"No!"

You shot up in your bed, gasping for breath. Your chest was tight as you looked around. Your room was empty- no enemies to be seen. You still felt uneasy.

Kicking the blankets off of your body, you got up and grabbed a small lantern from your nightstand. Tip-toeing out, you snuck past guards on their night watch and headed to the room of one particular person.

"Wh- it's past midnight, why are you awake?" Felix hissed, opening his door completely and letting you inside.

You wrapped your arms around yourself, shivering from the chilly night air as you sat on the edge of his bed. "I had a bad dream."

Felix furrowed his eyebrows and ran a hand through his hair. It was out of its ponytail and fell in his face even after he moved it. "You're an adult. You should be able to handle a nightmare."

"I usually can, but this time I can't."

"Why not? It's still just a nightmare."

"I just can't, Felix."

Felix rolled his eyes and walked towards the bed. "Fine. If you're going to be childish and not tell me then I can't do anything to help you. Move, I'm going back to bed."

He scooted you over and laid back down, pulling his blankets over his shoulder and turning away from you. You sighed and flopped down beside him on top of the cloths.

"We were in a battle. I'd been calling your name and you never responded. I thought you were dead."

The raven-haired man stayed silent for a moment before rolling onto his back to join you in staring at his ceiling. "Well, I'm not dead. That's a silly fear to have. It would take a lot to kill me."

"But that 'lot' could still happen one day."

"Get under the covers and shut up."

You obliged quickly, sliding under the soft sheets. Felix laid his arm out for you to rest your head on as your hand gripped his nightshirt, as if to make sure he wouldn't leave. His other hand came up to grasp your one on his chest.

"It was just a stupid little nightmare. I won't leave you that easily."