swimming with the fishes. | ashe

warnings: cussing, near-death, drowning

sunday's are wonderful days for relaxation. in garreg mach, one could do anything. they could go horse or pegasus riding, train, sleep, or even go fishing.

though, when a certain person was fishing, many didn't like to be near.

"ashe! look i caught one!"

"w-wonderful, but please stop jumping! you're going to tip the boat!" the boy cried.

you ceased bouncing and held the small fish in your hands. "...so cute." you whispered, "can we keep him?"

"what? y/n, no, we can't. he can stay in here but there's no promises that he'll be here for long."

you pouted slightly. the fish in your room needed another friend, their aquarium was certainly big enough. so why couldn't you keep him? if you leave him, rafael would most certainly eat him.

"but ashe," you put on your best puppy dog eyes and looked at him, "he's miserable here! imagine, living a life that's meaningless, only to become someone's dinner? how would you feel if it was you?"

"i wouldn't know what was happening, because i would be a fish. c'mon, let's put him back."

you frowned more, but nodded. you bent down to gently put your new friend back in the water, but you made the mistake of putting too much pressure on the edge of the boat. it rocked a bit, splashing water into the boat as ashe shouted. the boat rocked more as the water's intrusion startled you and soon, the boat was completely tipped over.

you tried to pull yourself up, but your efforts were in vain. you could only see the worry in ashe's eyes as you sank deeper.

as you were unconscious, ashe was able to grab your robe and pull you ashore, trying to keep your head above the water. on the land, students had gathered around to see the situation.

"she cant breathe!" hilda exclaimed, "someone's gonna need to do cpr or mouth to mouth or something!"

everyone looked at ashe, but he only trembled. "i-i can't! she didn't really say it's okay for me to put my mouth on hers, wouldn't that be assault?"

"she's still drowning, for crying out loud." sylvain pushed through and knelt down to you, "ill do it then."

jealousy lit up in ashe's chest and he shoved the red headed boy to the side. he began compressing your chest and took a deep breath, ignoring the drums of his heart. his lips pressed to yours and despite this being a dire situation, he couldn't help but enjoy it.

sure, he'd enjoy it more if you were awake, not dying, and were actually kissing back.

a few more compressions and blows made water rise from your throat as you coughed and sat up. you hunched over and coughed more and ashe pattes your back comfortingly.

you looked at him and tried to smile, still keeping on your cheerful facade. "thank you for helping me, im sorry i was a bother! i just wanted to help the fish-"

ashe launched towards you and wrapped his arms around your waist in a hug, pushing you back to the ground. you were startled at first, but then returned the hug and planted a firm kiss on the crown of his head. he began speaking, but only you could hear.

his voice was muffled in the fabric of your wet clothes, but you still heard it well.

"i'm so glad you're okay, i love you too much to let you go."