dig your grave. | chrom

"hey," a deep voice startled you. you looked over your shoulder to see your leader.

"yeah?"

"why aren't you asleep? the sun will be rising soon."

"just... can't sleep." you replied, avoiding his eyes.

chrom walked closer to you. "y/n, what's wrong?"

you only sighed and turned away, hoping that he'd get the hint. he didn't.

"y/n. what's wrong." chrom asked a little more sternly, "you're a valued member of this army, we can't have you at anything other than your best and frankly, i'm concerned. we all are."

"its nothing, chrom, i promise. i just wanna get this done."

chrom strode over to you and looked over your shoulder. "y/n, this is already done. i'm gonna ask one more time. what's wrong?"

you rolled your eyes, annoyed at his persistence. normally, you'd find his concern endearing, but right now you were just angry. he had no right to barge in and talk to you in that manner. he had no right to demand to know about your personal life. and yet you were still going to tell him.

"i've been having nightmares, alright? about everyone dying. im the tactician of this army and if people die its my fault. these plans have to be perfect and i cant stop until my friends stop dying."

chrom was silent for a moment before his hand rested on your upper back. "staying up all night isn't going to save anybody. if anything, your plans are getting more sloppy because you're tired." he pointed to a spot on your map, "see? that area's completely open. vulnerable to ambushes. you need to sleep, y/n."

"i cant." you sighed, picking up your quill.

"i'll help."

"what-"

suddenly you were lifted from your chair as chrom picked you up and pushed the chair in. chrom quickly blew the lantern out and laid you down on the cot, pulling the blankets over you. he sat down on the edge of the cot and placed a hand in your hair, lightly running his fingers through it.

"i'll always protect you, y/n. and everyone else."

"you can't die either, chrom." you mused, enjoying his fingers in your hair.

"the day i die is the day you kill me, dear."

"and how could i possibly kill you?" your eye peeked up to see him looking fondly at you.

"hopefully, if you'll accept the confession of love that i'm making right now, i'll die of happiness."

"well," you grabbed his arm and pulled him to lay next to you, "i guess you'd better start digging your grave."