smitten kitten [1] | hybrid!felix

Start from the beginning

You hoisted yourself up and climbed into the trash can. How humiliating if anyone saw.

The cat stared at you as you picked out another treat, this time keeping it in your hand. Once again, he stalked towards you, sniffing your hand instead of the treat. He took it and sat down, staring at you. He was still very cautious.

The poor kitty looked like he was starving. You couldn't just leave him here, but you doubted he would let you take him home. Home was only a few feet away, though...

Fuck it.

You carefully picked him up and opened your coat, holding him inside to keep him warm. He hissed from the inside, but didn't claw you. Just tried to bite your shirt a little.

"It's okay," You reassured him through chattering teeth, "You're gonna have a home soon."

———

"I don't know what to do, Ashe!" You groaned and leaned against the kitchen table. "Mittens is just hiding under my couch. He's hissing and everything when I get close. I don't even have pet food."

"Mittens? You decided on Mittens? What a stupid name. Anyhow, how do you know he'll even eat pet food?" Ashe questioned over the phone. "Maybe he's a hybrid."

You shook your head. "If he was, then why would he still be a cat? He could've easily turned human and found a living."

"Y/N, you know how people are with hybrids. If they knew, he'd probably be declined help. Hybrids have to have owners. You work at a pet store, shouldn't you know this?"

"I work at a pet store for regular animals," You replied, "Mittens isn't acting like a regular cat. His eyes are just... too strange. They're red. Cats don't usually have red eyes."

"He's gotta be a hybrid. He may not be able to shift back and forth since he's under a lot of stress. Sylvain wasn't able to when I first got him. Try to get him to relax. Sylvie and I will be over tomorrow."

With that, Ashe hung up. You rolled your eyes. Mittens? A hybrid? He's gotta be a cat. But... the way he looks at you and seems to understand everything you're saying is a little weird.

You walked to your refrigerator and opened it up, pulling out some lunch meat. You walked next to the couch and set it down, waiting for the cat to smell it.

Slowly, Mittens's nose peeked out from under the couch and his white paw smacked the meat, bringing it under the couch. You heard him chewing and sighed in relief. At least he was eating.

You sat down on the couch and grabbed your TV

remote, turning on Netflix to a movie. As it started, you pulled a blanket over you and curled up.

You were completely immersed in the movie, so you didn't notice when Mittens slowly crawled out from under the couch and looked up at you, as if he was analyzing you. He jumped up on the couch and curled up on the edge of your blanket.

He laid and seemed to watch the movie with you. You turned to him and reached out a hand. He sniffed it, but hissed again when you tried to pet him. Baby steps, you supposed.

Mittens continued to lay on the other end of the sofa as the movie finished, laying his head down and falling asleep. You looked over at him and sighed.

"Goodnight." You whispered, standing up and heading to bed yourself.

——

You awoke to a knock on your door. Shivering, you stepped onto the cold floor and wrapped a blanket around you, heading to the front door. You knew Ashe and Sylvain were at the door and you had told them multiple times to just come in, but Ashe refused, saying it was 'impolite'.

As you rounded the corner into the living room, you saw a large mass on your couch. You cocked your head and tiptoed closer. Your heart jumped as the mass moved, shifting on the couch and revealing itself to be a man laying where Mittens had fallen asleep.

When he shifted, you got a full view of him sleeping peacefully on your blanket. Not knowing what else to do, you did what any sane person would. You screamed.

"WHAT THE FUCK?"

The naked man on your couch stirred, rubbing his eyes. "Stop fucking yelling!"

"Who are you?" You pressed against the wall, trying to stay away from the stranger. He opened his eyes fully to look at you and you gasped, recognizing the crimson hue. "Mittens?"

"Do not call me that. Mittens is degrading and the worst name I've ever heard." He sneered. "My name is Felix Fraldarius and I expect you to call me as such."

"You- you're a hybrid." You couldn't believe Ashe was right.

Speaking of Ashe, he had used his spare key and quickly opened your door after hearing your scream. He looked in between you and Felix, smirking. "So, what was that about him being a 'normal cat'?"

You glared at him as he and Sylvain walked further inside and closed the door. Felix stood up and made his way to your fridge, pulling out the pack of turkey inside and eating a piece.

"Do you have any shame?" You scoffed at the man.

He quirked an eyebrow. "What are you talking about? Thanks for helping me, I guess, but I don't see why I need to be ashamed."

Sylvain snorted, his tail wagging a bit. "Your clothes, man. Where are they? Not that I'm complaining or anything-"

Felix's ears flattened and he began to snarl a bit at the dog hybrid. "Don't flirt with me." He turned to you, "Why do I need clothes? I never had to wear them before..."

"Listen," You finally made eye contact with him, your face still red, "I don't know what your previous owners or whatever made you do, but you're more person than cat in this household. You need clothes. We'll go shopping after work, but for now, Ashe, can you get him some of Sylvain's things? They may fit."

As Ashe nodded and walked to his apartment with Sylvain, you set to work on making breakfast for the four of you. You pulled out eggs and bacon, beginning to cook them before turning to Felix, who had seated himself at the table and was fiddling with the white tip of his tail.

You leaned against the counter. "So... how did you end up in a garbage can?"

He tensed a bit. "That's none of your business. Just, don't send me to a shelter. They don't like me there."

"Why not?" You pressed.

"Everyone returns me because I'm 'too hostile'. They try to train me or whatever to make me nicer and I don't feel like dealing with that shit again."

Nodding, you turned back to the breakfast. "You won't have to worry about that. You're not a pet here. You're a person. I'll still have to go in and adopt you, but it'll be okay. You won't have to go through any of that ever again."

Felix continued to stare at the table, trying to fight the small upturn of his lips. "Yeah..."