𝐎𝐍𝐄

If you already reading India book don't read this until you finish. If not it don't latter

Tahiry sat by herself while the teacher called out the project partners knowing she'd probably end up with some weirdo. Or if god was in her favor she'd end up with the most popular boy in school that's a king pin with an eight bedroom house, that looked like Dave East and would cheat on her sometimes, but she was saving that for the second book.

God was never in her favor though. South Sudanese in Atlanta where niggas wanted girls that dressed like iamvassiah and had pretty frontals, and Balenciagas. All while not having a job. Must be nice.

"Tahiry."

She wasn't extremely poor. She was just surviving. Thrifted most of her clothes because she preferred dressing like an early 2000's black Barbie over a 2020 jayda wayda. The most expensive clothing item she owned was a juicy couture sweatsuit and she had no regrets.

"Tahiry."

"Huh?" She realized the teacher was calling her name in the middle of her planning her imaginary future with a boy that didn't exist. Bisexual but considered being attracted to men one of her biggest flaws. Vermin. Despite her previously imaging her future with an imaginary man.

The only healthy relationship she ever imagined was with a girl. A tall pretty girl. They'd paint each other's nails and talk shit.

"Yeah?"

"You working with Yoni."

"Huh? You said you was gon let me work with Yoni." Her friend sat up and scrunched her face up at Tahiry.

"Deja I don't wanna work with you, you never get shit done anyways." Yoni shrugged and picked her stuff up so she could move next to Tahiry.

"Yes I do why you lying? And just because you working with her don't mean you gotta sit with her lame ass."

"You being rude that's not cute." Yoni looked at her sideways.

"So?"

"So when my brother embarrassed you in front of everybody the way you tryna embarrass her you was crying."

"Siah didn't embarrass me my feelings was just hurt. Why you defending her anyways? She ain't even speak to you."

"No I'm talking about when you slept over and Elijah was back from college, and you asked for his number. When he said fuck no and went back in his room and all our friends laughed? Then you tried Siah and he said chill? Yeah like I said don't be rude." Yoni shrugged and put her phone back in her balenciaga purse.

Deja just rolled her eyes and let her friend move to the other seat. She couldn't stand that Yoni was so.. she couldn't even describe it. But she hung around her anyways because being around someone like her made her feel looked at or important too.

Yoni wore designer and got a Mercedes for her 16th birthday, whenever she spent the night she looked forward to going over to her house because her mom always cooked and being in a house that big was fun. Deja was just annoyed at how lame Yoni acted despite being able to get whatever she wanted.

She slept on a California king and had a remote control for the lights in her room. Her bathroom sink had her name engraved. She had a big ass tv on her wall. She had a big ass speaker. A MacBook, an iPad, a Mac desktop, apples watches, the newest iPhone, the latest clothes, the latest hairstyles, everything Deja wanted but only had half of. She just thought her friend was stupid for not using her status to get ahead and make more friends. And she was slightly jealous.

"You a senior?" Yoni sat next to Tahiry and put her phone on the table with an empty contact screen for her to put her number in.

"Yeah.."