Chapter 17

"Grazie, Mama Luisa. The bread really completes the delicious stew. And this homemade gelato," I said as I dunked my spoon into the delicious vanilla gelato. "Is so good. I wish I could cook as well as you," I complimented sincerely, to which she chuckled heartily.

"Tell you what," she said as she placed her hands on her waist. "If you have free time, why don't you come down here and I'll teach you to cook anything!"

"Sounds lovely, Mama." I smiled as I dabbed the towel to clean my lips.

"It's getting late Mama. We better go first." Luca said as he stood and pushed the dining chair back into its place.

"You're leaving me, already?"

"We'll visit you next time," he hugged Mama Luisa. We?

I smiled at the sight before me and was a little startled when she yelped to Luca. "No no no, Luca!" She began to push Luca.

I was very confused but then I saw Luca trying to slip a thick roll of cash into her apron's pocket. "Per favore, Mama. It's the least I can do."

"Oh dio, you sweet child." She kissed his cheeks tenderly.

"Thank you for the meal, Mama Luisa." I uttered as I gave a hug to this older woman who's so fond of hugs.

"Make sure you both visit me, ok? And Elena," she whispered as she held both of my arms. "Take care of Luca, si?"

I didn't know how to answer that, so instead I just gave her a smile.

We waved her goodbyes and began walking back to the shops area which were not that far. Again, we were filled with silence and the only sound that can be heard were the footsteps of ours. He was walking slightly in front of me, so I could study his features from the side.

The small streetlight and the glow from the moonlight highlight his sharp yet handsome features. His sharp jaw, his tall nose, those dark and gleaming eyes. I also just noticed the growing stubble that looks good on him.

How could a beautiful man be so dangerous? Even without talking, he always seemed tense. Perhaps it is his natural rbf? I chuckled to myself, thinking of me, labelling him as having a resting bitch face.

"What is funny?" he asked and I looked up to see him looking at me, still walking.

"I-uh. Nothing, just talking to myself." I said sheepishly.

"Would you like to go somewhere before we go home?"

I nodded quickly not wanting for this day, and night to end this fast. As I know, tomorrow will begin for my usual boring routines.

He brought me into a local bar that doesn't have too many customers. Most are either having conversations while drinking, or drinking by themselves. Luca walked towards the bar area and the bartender immediately greeted him. Everyone really knows him, huh?

"Capo," the bartender. "What can I get you?"

"The usual, please. And you?" Luca asked as he turned towards me.

"Oh, I don't really drink." I replied.

"We're not gonna drink a lot. Come on, pick anything,"

"Um, just champagne."

"What kind of champagne, signorina?" the bartender asked as he began mixing Luca's drink professionally.

"Cuvée Rosé, thanks."

Luca took his bourbon sour and handed me my rosé before grabbing my hand for the second time today. "Come on."

He led me towards the dark stairs and opened the door which leads to an open rooftop. "This is my private spot. Where I usually meet my partners, or just to be alone with my thoughts." He confessed towards me.

I hummed in response as we both sat on the lounge couch and I leaned back when I noticed the view. The moon shone brightly alongside with the stars onto us.

"It's beautiful," I whispered.

"Very," he muttered in response and I turned to look at him. And he was already staring intently at me.

Which reminded me of that night. I couldn't help myself before uttering the next words. "Why are you being nice to me?"

Great, Elena. He definitely will not let you out after this.

He sipped his drink before placing his glass onto the small coffee table in front of us. "Perhaps, it's a way of me apologising to you. For the other day."

Oh.

"But you know I wouldn't actually feed you Teddy right?"

"How would I know? I mean, Teddy looks pretty hungry then." I shrugged before looking forward again.

He shook his head. "Teo would behead my head and feed me to the lions."

"Papa would never!" I said, incredulously. "But I accept your apologies. I'm sorry, too. You are just trying to protect me. I just. I'm not used to being cooped up in a place for too long. I get anxious." I said truthfully.

"Elena," I turned my head towards him. "I will never, ever hurt you. I shouldn't have done what I did the other day. I didn't expect you to understand my lifestyle. But this is how I handle things. Still, it is not an excuse for my behaviour. So, I'm sorry."

"I forgive you," I smiled before sipping the last sip of my rosé. "Ah, today has been great. Thank you, Luca."

He chuckled lightly. "What," I laughed, too. Am I getting drunk already? Agh, this is why I don't drink.

"Nothing," he smirked. "You're cute, and funny."

"What did I do?"

He shook his head. "Of course you would drink a white girl's alcohol."

I gaped at him. "That's mean! I drink this 'cause I have low intolerance for alcohol okay." I said, as I crossed my arms. He didn't reply so I turned to look at him again, and he's already staring at me.

I didn't know if it's because of his intense stare, or because of the night's cold wind, I shivered. I placed my champagne glass onto the table and leaned back, not knowing what to do.

"Cold?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Come here."

I placed my hands onto the couch and began scooting towards him. Okay, I'm definitely drunk. Absolutely. Positively, drunk.

When I was merely an inch away, he grabbed my arms and began to stroke them upwards and downwards. His warm hands took the chill out of me a little. Slowly, his left hand travelled upwards to my collarbone, to my neck. Then he took a hanging strand in front of my face and tucked it behind my ears.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.