Chapter 13

Luca shut the door behind him and placed his coat onto the coat rack and proceeded to go upstairs while Rafael went into the kitchen, possibly to harass Paola to make him a pesto tortellini

He's been talking non-stop about it on the way home. It almost made Luca to shove a glock into Rafael's mouth.

He found himself standing in front of Elena's room and sighing before knocking twice. There was no answer, so he knocked again. Yet, there was nothing. 

He leaned over with his right ear against the door and he can't hear any movements coming from the room. So he twisted the knob open, and found her room was empty.

He went downstairs and into the kitchen and found Rafael whining like a dog to Paola.

"Più formaggio, per favore? Si, Paola? (more cheese, please)"

"Paola," Luca called the elderly woman. "Dov'è Elena? (where is Elena)"

"Eh? Lei è uscita. Te l'ha detto, si?" (she went out. she told you, right?)

Luca's jaw tightened as realization washed over Paola. "Mio dio," Paola cupped her mouth. "Mi ha detto che te l'ha già chiesto. Mi dispiace molto, capo. (She told me she asked you. I'm so sorry)".

Rafael placed his hand onto Paola. "Non è colpa vostra (it's not your fault)."

Both Rafael and Paula heard the front door banged loudly. Rafael cursed and ran to follow his boss. He managed to get into the car before Luca slammed his leg onto the pedal.

_________________

I thanked the young girl as I handed her the money and took the paper bag into my bag. I just bought a couple of earrings, and a bracelet's charm that represents Pisces for my mom since she is one. It can be clipped onto the bracelet that I got for her the other day. 

I rarely wear earrings but I can't help but buy it. They are all so pretty that I had a hard time choosing.

I didn't realise that I had spent a lot of time in the shop as I stepped outside and was greeted by the cold wind and the orangey sky, as the sun almost set. I decided to go buy the danishes and pastries before heading home.

I got into the shop and saw a couple workers were cleaning the counter and mopping the floor. And there was no sign of any bread or pastry.

I sighed as I shut the door behind me. The sky was getting darker, but the people there looked like their day had just begun as there were many people chatting happily and going for their dinner.

Damn it, why does the bakery close early. I placed my pot into the scooter's basket and was about to put on the helmet when a voice startled me, making me drop the helmet.

I turned around and my eyes caught a dark one. It was Luca's. 

Shit. He was breathing heavily and he looked like as if he would murder me. I'm sure he could.

"What the fuck, are you doing here?" His voice was deep, almost like he was straining his anger.

The look on his face makes me want to cry and apologize profusely. But I couldn't move my mouth, I couldn't even move my feet. He looked so, so angry.

"Answer me!" He yelled, making me jump back in fear and hit the scooter which fell backwards along with my flower pot that smashed into pieces.

"Oh no," I squat down. "My flowers... my flowers," I began to collect the baby peonies. Not the peonies...

"Leave it. You're coming with me, now." I can hear his voice behind me. "I said, leave it!" He yanked me roughly which caused me to cut my thumb since I was picking the smashed pieces out of the flowers.

He yanked me again to make me stand on my feet, but perhaps I was a little heavy or I was struggling against his hold, my knees were grazed against the concrete.

"Ow! Stop, you're hurting me." I cried.

But he didn't care, he pulled me even harder so I could follow him. He dragged me to his car and I caught a glimpse of Rafael leaning against the hood of the car.

"Raf," he called. "Take the damn scooter."

"Huh? Me? But-" When Rafael saw Luca's anger, he shut his mouth and went to take the scooter.

As for me, Luca shoved me inside the passenger's side and almost slammed the door on my ankle if I wasn't quick. I can already feel the panic and anxiety surfaced through but I was too scared to even let out any sound.

Luca drove like a maniac, I shut my eyes most of the time. Afraid that we were going to run into a boulder or even down the ravine.

As soon as he parked the car, I opened the door and sprint towards the door, ignoring the stinging pain on my knees. 

I needed to save myself before he could release his anger to me. Before I could even reach the door, a huge guy grabbed me by the arms and lifted me off the ground making me screamed.

"Matteo," Luca called him. "Take her to the back."

This Matteo guy dragged me to an area, almost 100meters behind the house. I was struggling, thrashing in his big arms to escape myself. He brought me inside a place that almost looked like a warehouse.

With me still in his hold, Matteo grabbed a chair with ropes and placed it in the middle of the warehouse. He then placed me onto the chair and began to tie me up.

"No! No! What are you doing? No!" I screamed and began kicking my legs everywhere. I kicked Matteo's stomach but it looked like anything but hurt.

By now, I had my legs tied behind the chair and my legs at each side of the chair. The warehouse was dark except from the small, dangling lights. I saw Luca's face come into my sight and smirk.

"Let me go, you asshole. Let me go!" I kept screaming.

"I thought I told you to listen to me if you want to live another day," he began. "Tsk tsk. Do you know what my gang is famous for?"

"I don't know, I don't care. Let me out of here!"

"Well," he ignored my cries. "We are famous for our niles."

Niles? What, as in the Nile river?

"Let me show you," he walked a little further and pressed a button. Just then, a garage-door went up and I widened my eyes as I saw what it was.

There was a fenced shallow man-made pond. And there was an almost 13 meters long, huge crocodile resting on top of the boulder inside the pond.

I let out a shaky breath as I looked over to Luca. He walked towards me, "I really, really hate when people disobey me. 'Cause that'll make me angry. And when I get angry, I'll do irrational things."

He wiped my tears and bore his eyes into mine. "Irrational like you know, feed my nile over there. His name is Teddy. Named after Matteo's dead best friend."

"Please," I whispered. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again." My breaths are uneven as I can feel the anxiety surged through my veins.

"Do what, carino?" He asked as he caressed my cheek, as if to calm me.

"Disobey you. I won't do it again. I promise, please. I'm sorry," I cried softly.

"Okay then, good girl." He released my face and turned towards Matteo. "Untie her."