Talk Talk Talk, Ponder some More

***Alec's POV***

The world was hazy as he faded in and out of consciousness. Lights swayed as his vision danced, to the point where he might as well have been on a ship lost at sea, tugged away with the stormy tied. Briefly he recognized the feeling of being passed from one set of arms to the next, and then the wave of darkness consumed him again.

***Magnus's POV***

Not once did he ever think a dragon would have this much effect on him. Ever since his mother died, Magnus had wanted nothing more than to seek justice for her, take down the dragon responsible for her murder. But the more time he spent with Alec and his siblings, in this world where dragons lived in peace and weren't the raging monsters his father advertised, he found himself left with doubts at every corner of his mind. It no longer seemed okay to seek vengeance on the dragon race.

That should've troubled him more than it did.

Instead, he found himself pacing in front of yet another cave entrance. His legs felt more tired then they ever had before, but he found himself practically shocked into wakefulness. Alec's last words before collapsing played in his mind like a broken record, causing derision and strange twinges in his chest where his heart was.

"Magnus, I see you haven't gone anywhere."

He looked up to see Simon walking towards him. His glasses were covered in dirt around the edges, but the nerdy male hardly seemed to care. There was something shiny in one of his hands. It took him a moment to recognize the red thing for what it was.

"Where on earth did you get that?" He pointed at the object in question, which turned out to be a ruby. It dangled from a bracelet of leather snuggly tied around Simon's wrist.

"Oh, this? Izzy gave it to me. Said it would recognize when evil was near or something like that. She's so considerate, isn't she?" There was blissed out smile on Simon's face. Magnus wanted to shake his head. Hardly a week's time had passed and he was already so whipped for the youngest Lightwood.

"Or perhaps she just doesn't want her toy looking any less fabulous than she does." He muttered.

"Hey. There's no need to be mean Magnus. And I don't think she sees me that way." Simon murmured.

"Fine then. Think whatever you like." He snapped back. Deep down, he knew there was no need to be mean to Simon, a guy who did no wrong, but he couldn't help it. Hours had passed since he last saw Alec. As the seconds ticked by, his nerves continued to worsen.

And then there was a hand resting on his shoulder, squeezing gently. Mercifully, it wasn't the one with the bracelet, as Magnus doubted he would've been happy feeling the cold stone brushing his skin. Isabelle's tastes were indeed fabulous, the stone color matching her scales to a degree he thought impossible. And it feels all too like what I read about in books. Dragon courting 101 had stated that one of the ways dragons showed affection was through the gifting of stones. Of course Simon was oblivious to the gift's true meaning, being naive as ever.

"I'm sure he'll be okay Magnus." Simon told him, a small smile on his face.

Magnus shrugged him off. He couldn't bear to see the pity in his friend's expression. There was no doubt Alec would be fine, none whatsoever. What got him was how this probably could have been avoided. If only I hadn't interfered. Alec would be fine and interrogating the prisoner instead of being drugged out of his ever living mind.

Though he would be lying if he said the little smile Alec gave him while he was drugged wasn't cute. It was downright adorable and should be illegal for anyone else to ever see it. But then Alec's words replayed in his mind and he was frowning again, because really, it just didn't make sense. How can it be possible? After everything he told me about them, it just seems like it could never happen. So why did his heart beat extra fast when the words were said then? Maybe what Alec said was a hallucination, something that came from the core of his own desires.

"I know. But I still blame myself Sheldon. I shouldn't have went after him."

"No Magnus. You can't blame yourself for this. If anything, the rest of us are to blame. Alec was gone longer than I would've liked too but I just sat there. I-I couldn't do anything to help my platonic." Jace was thundering towards him. Perhaps the increased sound of his footfalls came from the guilt written clearly in those golden eyes of his. Magnus had no energy to put up with someone else's misery. Not when his own was so potent.

"Well you only did what he told you to do. At least you listened Jace." Clary pointed out totally unhelpfully. It took Magnus a second to realize the redhead was perched on the dragon's shoulders, sitting there like she owned the place. I guess they are perfect for each other: annoying and whiny. That wasn't to say he didn't love his friend, but she did irk him at times.

"Thanks Clary." Jace rumbled, nuzzling Clary's reaching palm. It sounded oddly like a purr. He wondered if Alec was capable of making the same sound. The thought of the stoic prince making the same noise made him stomach flop happily.

Simon shook his head at the duo, a yawn parting his lips. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty tired. We don't have to go back to the cave tonight do we? Because I'll probably fall asleep before we get there."

Jace chuffed. "No. You'll be staying in the Lightwood caves tonight, they're very close by." His golden gaze narrowed on Magnus. "Don't take that as an invitation to do anything, okay?"

It took him a second to realize what Jace was talking about. His mind buzzed tiredly, the events of the day catching up with him. Alec's father resides in the Lightwood caves. Technically, his goal should be right in his grasp. And yet . . . nothing about it felt right anymore. Not to mention I doubt Alec will be leaving the healing cavern tonight.

And then there was the matter of the blue harness material. It was still on him, clinging to his body like a second skin. To his knowledge only Alec was capable of removing it, once he deemed Magnus trustworthy enough.

But the rope remained around him. It was not about to let him go, not that he felt like going anywhere. Leaving Alec in such an injured state left him feeling sick to his stomach, intestines coiling like the long rope that kept the two of them bound.

"I won't, and I think I'll be staying here anyways." He gestured to the harness with an idle wave. "Pretty certain this means I can't leave."

Jace looked at the harness and frowned. "I suppose you have a point."

Simon looked between the pair, his glasses holding dirt at the corners where glass met wire. "Maybe Magnus should be allowed to see Alec. They can keep an eye on each other, and its not like Magnus can hurt him."

Clary nodded thoughtfully. "I suppose that's a good idea Si. Jace, can we?"

The golden dragon still looked contemplative, but eventually he provided them with a nod. Magnus wondered if the Herondale could feel the pain Alec was in. As platonic, the pair were suppose to share a deep bond that would provide a special sort of power to use however they chose. When he had first learned about such pairings, the hunter in him had seen it as a drawback. There was no telling what sort of advantage such a bond provided the scaly monsters of the night. Now however, he was glad for platonic. Jace was able to have Alec's back in a way no one else would be able to. He almost admired this bond. Getting close to the dragon prince seemed to be at the center of his plans. A bond chosen by the fabrics of the universe was hard to ignore and granted immediate respect. He knew this now. Knew it, and faced turmoil because of it.

What Alec had told him surely wasn't true? He needed to talk to the Lightwood.

"Sure. But make sure Alec rests."

"Of course." Was all Magnus said in return. What else could he respond that wouldn't be cause for concern? Enough eyebrows were raised as it was.

"Bye Magnus." Simon bid him farewell.

"Don't do anything stupid." Clary followed with.

Jace just dipped his head and turned away, beckoning for Simon to follow him as he lumbered off with Clary on his back. Magnus watched them go. Alec's words echoed in his mind like a chorus of voices.

"I've found you at last. My predestined."

He shook his head. "But how can it be? How?"

There was no answer, just the fading footsteps as his friends disappeared without a trace.