Princely Duty

***Magnus's POV***

As it would turn out the harness was a lot less annoying then he'd originally imagined.

Initially, Magnus had squirmed when one of the dragon servants — a scaly beastie with an eye path over one eye and a lean build— shoved it on him against him will. The material was a clear mesh that smelled faintly of those weird bath bombs Malcolm kept throwing into the well on the outskirts of town claiming he was doing his part to "beautify" it. The harness was loose but secure, a binding rope that Alec securely held the end of.

So it was not the harness, but the leash that provided the biggest pain.

"Do I really have to wear this? This is ridiculous. How are we supposed to establish peace with this thing on me?" Magnus tried to appeal to Alec's common sense, but of course the dark dragon was having none of it.

"In case you've forgotten, killing dragons isn't okay—"

"But I didn't kill anyone!" He complained.

Alec gave him a pointed look. "Nor is attempted murder okay. And don't go telling me you haven't killed a dragon before Magnus. You told me you were a Hunter when you were younger and with all the years that've passed there's no way my statement doesn't ring true."

Magnus crossed his arms, the mesh on his chest squishing underneath. He'd tried tugging at it already, but the stuff refused to budge. He was beginning to wonder if it was impossible for him to remove, which is what led him to try convincing Alec. "Fine. I haven't killed or attempted to kill any dragons without good reason." Because they're all monsters . . . right? No, no. Not Alec. But he's the exception. Indeed, the young prince was the only dragon he could goes as far as to claim that he liked.

Alec snorted. "And why exactly did my Father deserve your wrath?" The dragon was finally leading them out of this stupid dungeon, something Magnus was beyond grateful for. The damp dirt underneath their feet was beginning to give to loose gravel, the crunching sound reminding him of all the ice Clary would chew at the bar. The redhead still refused to admit to her iron deficiency, though there was no other plausible explanation.

Magnus could feel his expression darkening. "Because he killed my mother."

Alec frowned, his expression flickering with some hidden emotion. Magnus tried to read him but found the herculean task impossible. Time seemed to stretch with each footstep. Eventually, Alec responded, his voice low.

"That didn't happen."

"What? Are you denying the truth?" Magnus felt anger welling up in his gut, the roar of thunder echoing in his ears louder than any dripping water could.

Alec's mouth twitched, the gleam of white teeth poking out of the top. "I'm not denying the truth, I'm stating it. My Father would never kill a human."

They stared daggers at one another, Magnus's gaze full of fire and Alec's full of ice. Neither one of them would budge on their positions. Alec just doesn't understand. He thinks too much of his father. His father is a monster. One day I hope he realizes that.

"Then you're a fool."

Alec rolled his eyes. "The only fool I see is the one who won't open his eyes."

Magnus resisted the urge to yell at Alec with a bunch of curses. He taped them down under his tongue, biting his lip to force them from coming out. His blood boiled as an old memory played in his mind of a woman ravaged into pieces, a child walking in on death. Understanding what happened there took little effort. His mother was murdered. And only a dragon could be capable of such a brutal kill. And not to mention a dragon was sighted that day, a dragon with an unusual color scheme of black and white. Only one dragon fit that description to his knowledge, that of the king himself.

"Maybe you're the fool." He ultimately muttered, voice so low it would be impossible for anyone to hear it. The mesh on his chest that had felt barely restrictive at first now felt like a terrible cage squeezing his insides as his heart pounded.

Calm down Magnus, just calm down. How is your plan going to work if you keeping getting angry so easily? He didn't know why being around Alec made him want to be honest; he didn't know why Alec's mere presence encouraged him to let out emotions he normally kept secluded inside his own soul. This situation was a conundrum and it was something he would need to be wary of in the future. This great act of espionage, for all it was, just didn't have the same appeal to him that it first did.

He was still lost in thought when they were interrupted by a new presence in the cave. The dark green dragon was awfully familiar, but being as terrible with names as he was, Magnus forgot what to call her. He stood awkwardly while Alec spoke to her in the dragon tongue. Any attempt to listen in was futile whenever this language was brought into the fold. Frustration continued to boil, though it was for a different reason this time. When she left, he turned to Alec. His hands were clenched in fists. They left crescent marks in the palms of his hands.

"What did she say to you?"

Alec sighed, the angry demeanor from earlier gone and replaced by something else. "Another one of my princely duties has arose. The suitors are here."

Magnus frowned. "Suitors? Like people your parents want you to marry? But I thought you had a predestined?" Another emotion was tugging at his heart strings. He viciously kicked it down. What was wrong with him? Anger over his mother stowed away for a later time, Magnus stared expectantly at Alec.

Alec nodded. "I do, but that doesn't mean they won't try to aid in the process of me finding them. I would thank them but . . . these experiences have never been enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. I would prefer to find my chosen the natural way."

"Why not tell your parents that?" Probably because one's a bloodthirsty murderer Magnus. He couldn't imagine Alec giving this answer no matter how hard he tried. Hopefully he would be able to convince Alec of the truth someday. For now, don't waste this chance.

"I've tried, but . . . They're the King and Queen. Whatever they say goes. And it's not all bad. Some of these suitors turn out to be good friends afterwards, like Aline."

He didn't know who Aline was, but he'd wager they were indeed close if that toothy smile was anything to go by. "So then why do you dread the meeting so much?"

Alec frowned. "Who said I dreaded it?"

It was Magnus's turn to role his eyes. "It's written all over your face Alec."

"Hmm. I didn't realize I was so easy to read."

You're not, I just made a guess. In human form Alec was, but dragon form was a different story entirely. The dark scales hid the flush and the smaller exhibits of emotion this prince would enact. Magnus found himself searching for answers in the tone of Alec's voice instead. Right now it was a bit resigned.

"Sure. So what're you going to do?"

"I thought it was obvious. I have to go Magnus. It's my princely duty."

"Then I'm coming with you." Magnus proclaimed. "At the very least I can make the experience a tad more enjoyable."

"I doubt it but I do agree about you tagging along. I am supposed to keep you in my sight after all Magnus. My parents wouldn't have it any other way."

"Good. Then let's get going. We have no more time to waste."