King Robert Lightwood

***Alec's POV***

Alec was flying right onto where he knew his Father would be. Council meetings were always held in the dawn hours. So he landed on the small island in the center of the lake before making his way into the gaping maw of the tunnel. The crests of the Dragon families lit up as he passed by, but none did greater than the Lightwood emblem as he pressed a claw against it. How the crests recorded the attendance of the dragons in this cave was beyond him, it was something Father had yet to teach him. Not that I'll ever be looking over attendance records. That'll be up to whoever my assistant is. Speaking of which, he passed by Robert's assistant right at the entrance to the main cave.

"Alec! I didn't realize you were coming today. Here to make another embarrassing scene?"

"Aldertree, it seems you haven't learned any manners since we last spoke."

Victor Aldertree was probably the most annoying adult dragon Alec had ever met. He was a stout reptilian. His scales were a marshy brown, with green splotches along the synapses of the wingspan. There were a few hooks in his right ear, piercings from the time he spent with some of the more . . . unruly dragons located outside of their sacred kingdom. His eyes were almost completely black, their coloration had started to fade out years ago. It was a hereditary condition in the Aldertree family. Alec just thought it made the older guy looked more soulless than he already was.

"Heh. Well, you did bring humans of all things into our home. Where are the slimy whelps anyways?" Aldertree craned his neck to see around Alec as if he might spot Magnus or one of his friends.

He held back a growl knocking on his vocal chords. Why doesn't Dad replace this jerk? He's so annoying. "Michael and Mark are taking care of them at the moment. They are not your concern."

Aldertree shrugged. "Hopefully the king decides to dispose of them. Heck, I wouldn't mind eating a few, if I was given permission of course."

The idea of this fat pig eating any of the humans made his stomach turn. Or maybe it was just the idea of Aldertree eating Magnus. I suppose the only one I'd be willing to sacrifice is the insufferable red head, but then Jace would be sad so . . . I guess I'll have to find another way to get her to leave him alone. The growl at the back of his throat was growing.

"I doubt that'll happen. Now, excuse me, I have a meeting to attend."

***

The meeting hall was a spacious cavern filled with dragons. It extended well below sea level, stalactites hanging up in the air. Some poked out of the ground, big enough for a dragon to perch on if they so chose. A cliff like rock poked out of the back wall. The king sat on that pedestal, his wings outstretched in a sign of power. His body and wings were mostly gray-black, though there was a pattern of white diamond scales running down his forehead and back. A few of these white scales extended out to his wings, like checker patches flying in the wind. The ruler v-marks ran down his stomach. His would shine silver whenever they lit up. The color was meant to signify an important trait of the ruler. Alec did not know what his own meant, only that blue was exceedingly rare. He smiled when a pair of dark eyes landed on him, giving him an approving nod for attending the meeting.

"So your highness, what shall be done about the humans staying in our kingdom?" One scraggly voice asked.

"We shouldn't trust them. Humans are conniving creatures, capable of destruction." Snarled another.

"But what if they want peace?"

"No human wants peace. They all love killing too much."

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh? It's been awhile since the medieval ages."