Stakeout

****Alec's POV****

"Stick close to me okay? I can't have anything happening to you."

"Oh my Alexander, I didn't realize you cared."

"Of course I do. And keep your voice down."

The two of them were hidden behind a cluster of trees, the shadowy gloom of the forest cooling off the occupants below. His wings were stretched slightly, one encompassing Magnus like a cloak of sorts. He could hear the footsteps creeping behind them. The humans walked so quietly in comparison to dragons, like mice in comparison to giants. Which wasn't far from the truth, all things considered.

"Okay fine. I'll be quiet, but at least tell me why we're hiding here of all places," Magnus said. The hunter shifted in the long grass, the tips of the blades brushing his waist. The overgrown forest was unruly for dragons, he could only imagine how much worse it was for the small humans. And that's why it's the perfect hiding place for an exile.

Or so they hoped anyways. There was no guarantees here. Just a well-placed hope for the best.

"I'm with Magnus on this one. All this pollen is getting in my nose." Another, much higher pitched voice whined. Alec resisted the urge to role his eyes.

"And I'll pose another question: why did she have to come along?" Alec growled.

Jace seemed annoyed and sympathetic at the same time. The golden dragon kept Clary pressed close to him, his bright eyes searching the forest beyond. "I couldn't just leave her alone Alec. Not when Catarina, Magnus and Simon all get to come."

"Yeah big brother. Lighten up." Isabelle chirped. Simon was sitting causally on her back, the bespectacled boy seemingly unnerved every time Alec directed a scowl his way. Why can't any of my siblings listen to me? So annoying. Thank the angel he didn't voice these thoughts aloud however, lest he sound like a petulant child. Like Clary, he snickered inwardly at the mental imagery.

"Fine, whatever. Just know if they get hurt it'll be your problem."

"W-we could get hurt?" Simon asked, terror a new note to his tone.

Isabelle was quick to reassure him. "It's okay Si. We won't let him get you."

Alec did roll his eyes this time. This doting behavior Isabelle had taken on left him somewhere between infuriated and exasperated. He couldn't tell which was worse. He could tell he didn't like it however, and this dislike continued to dredge in the depths of his bones. Why we're these humans so bothersome? At least Catarina was quiet from her perch on Isabelle's back. As a healer and a warlock Alec didn't have the same anger towards the sight. He trusted the quiet woman even if the company she'd brought with her wasn't half as stellar as he wished it could be.

"O-okay."

"You trust me right?"

"Of course," Simon said with a bit more certainty.

"If you two are done I'd like to get down to business." Alec growled.

"I second that." Catarina agreed. "We can't wait around with such an important mission."

Isabelle huffed, but didn't argue. "Yeah, we can get going."

"So what's the plan Alec?" Jace asked.

Everyone was focusing on him now. A younger version of him wouldn't have liked all the attention, might've even ducked his head. But here he took the focus with the stride any leader would.

"Simple. We'll circle in on the cave. Our sources say it only has one way out, so we just have to make sure he's thoroughly trapped in there so he'll cooperate."

"Oh. So we're staking him out then?" Magnus asked, he sounded oddly disappointed.

Alec chuffed. "That isn't going to be a problem, is it?"

"No, no. I just thought the plan would be more interesting," Magnus said.

"He means he thought we'd be killing Valentine." Clary piped in, very unhelpfully. Alec felt a rise in the urge to smack her. Would they ever get along? His temper lowered a tad when Clary tripped over a tree root. He resisted the prominent urge to laugh.

"No I didn't. I just thought . . ."

"There'd be violence?" Alec guessed.

Magnus nodded, thankful he understood. "Yeah."

He sighed. "Trust me, I don't like this stake out anymore then you, but this is what the king said would be best."

Magnus's expression soured. "Did he even consider my plan?"

"He . . ." Alec honestly didn't know. "We'll go with your idea if his plan doesn't work." Father might be mad at him, but it wasn't like this would be the first time. And he does tell me Kings are capable of improvising. So if things did somehow go wrong there's no harm in using it.

"Ok. I suppose that's fine." Magnus didn't seem totally happy, but he wasn't nearly upset as before so Alec took it as a win.

So the group lurked outside the cave opening, waiting for their enemy to appear. With no way out besides this one, there would be no escape. You're not getting away this time Valentine.

********

A/N: Oh my gosh! I can't believe this story reached 4K reads! Thanks everyone! So glad y'all are enjoying the story. And . . . just to get y'all excited I'll let you in on a little something. The Malec ship will start sailing soon! Until next time.