In the Past Unbeknownst

A/N: Ittttttttt's flashback time! And, back to our regularly scheduled program right after that. Also, a little bit of abuse in the flashback, though it isn't overly graphic or anything, just thought I'd give everyone a warning in case they find that triggering for some reason.

And Jace is in the pic above. Who do y'all want to see next?

******

Years ago . . .

Two young dragons.

One was a shining gold, like a small sun on the earth's surface.

The other was a blanched white, his tail broken at the end from one too many beatings.

Both had been there for that, so much trauma shared between.

But it was better when they were together then when they were alone.

Because being alone with father was never good.

Because Father loved hurting, reveled in the pain crossing the faces of the two young dragonets whenever he beat them within an inch of their lives.

Though, all of that changed one day.

It had started off bad and became even worse.

The meeker one, the blanche dragonet cowered away from that voice.

Because they both knew it caused them pain.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry Dad. I—"

"DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE SORRY!" The father had roared.

The little golden dragon lowered his head to the ground in submission, shaking just as much as his brother. When this had first started, he had been defiant. But now, he knew better than to fight back.

What would happen if he did.

It really had been a bad day. A failed hunt did that. It always did that.

"O-okay." Golden eyes blinked sadly.

"Please don't hurt him." The white one whimpered.

And then that blazing gaze was on the other, squished between the rocks. Golden eyes could only watch as claws sank into a pale wing to drag the other out. The toss harshly at the wall made him wince. It was so akin to the last launch, though there was no sickening crack accompanying it this time. The bulky dragonet knew something was wrong with his father, knew it like he knew somehow, some way, this wasn't where he belonged. And yet there was no way out of here on his own.

Father had made sure of that.

The tunnel was so big, so far down.

No one would find them easily.

Gaining trust was the only chance.

But this didn't make it easier.

"Owww!" A small cry of pain.

Rushing over, the golden one crouched down, inspecting the pain riddling the white one's features. "Are you alright J?"

Rarely was he called by his real name, apparently he didn't like it.

"I-I think s-so."

"If only you had done well today, maybe your brother wouldn't have been hurt." Father sneered, stepping closer. The ground seemed to shake with the large dragon's steps, though that might've just been the imaginings of the two young dragonets.

Fear, tried and true nestled deep.

Trepidation filled the golden one's frame as he shivered. "I'll do better next time."