I can Help

Magnus sat down, back pressed up against the rock wall. The surface was smooth, permeating an endless cold to numb his tired muscles. He tilted his head back to gaze at the sky. Nightfall was fast approaching. Back home he would likely be in for the night, sharing the evening with his friends. Magnus pictured Maia. Would she wonder where he had gone off to? And what of Raphael or Ragnor? The two men would probably pretend to be happy he was gone. But they'd miss me. And I know they miss Catarina.

He frowned. Where exactly was Catarina? He couldn't remember hearing anything in regards to her whereabouts since the confrontation at the meeting. Where is she? A terrible worry clawed at his skin. Here they all were in the realm of dragons, a place where he should've never rested easy even once. And while his opinions maybe . . . subject to influence, still. Catarina could have had hundreds of possible things happen to her and he wouldn't even know it. I'm a terrible friend. I need to ask Alec about her right away.

His thoughts were interrupted by lumbering footsteps. They were nothing like the graceful footfalls Alexander would provide. Those were music to his ears, perking him up each time. His alert gold eyes trained on the newcomer. Michael stepped out of the cave, wings shaking behind him slightly. If he didn't no better, Magnus would have thought the older dragon was related to Jace. They're certainly similar enough.

"Oh. I'm surprised you're still here."

Magnus shrugged, gesturing to the rope harness foiled around him. "I couldn't exactly go anywhere else with this on me."

"Hmm, I guess so. I'm just surprised you followed his orders so easily. I can't recall a human behaving so . . ."

A new emotion clawed under his skin. This one wasn't as unpleasant, though it was by far more annoying. "The word you're looking for is obedient." He tried to keep the snappiness out of his voice. It was hard to tell if he was successful or not. Michael's expression did not change, but the fluid flicking of his wingtips paused. "I'm just trying to make amends. I shouldn't have attacked your king." Those words felt like acid on his tongue. They burned him, making it so excruciating to even breathe. Magnus forced himself to bear a smile, no matter how fake it was. There would be vengeance.

"Then that's good. I was worried you were trying to hide your true intentions being here." Michael murmured.

Oh, he doesn't realize how right he was. A wicked flame inside him greedily cackled. Dragons were so naive, too stupid for their own good. But this flame was quickly tampered down by something else. It had no name, but it's purpose was clear. What was wrong with him? Why of all times was this when the desire wanted to falter?

"Ah, well. You get to be pleasantly surprised then."

"I suppose I do. I was so worried you know. Of all the humans Robert didn't get along with, your Father was always the worst offender. The two of them always butted heads."

That put him off guard. "The two kings knew each other?" Why was he just now hearing this? Of course, he understood Robert and Asmodeus must've interacted at some point, but it felt bizarre to imagine the two as acquaintances, let alone in the same room together.

Michael nodded, seemingly unaware of the thoughts racing through Magnus's head. "Oh, they knew each other alright. Andrew Lightwood, Robert's Father and predecessor, wanted them to be friends, said it would be best for the two kingdoms to be at peace. Robert didn't like Asmodeus, mind you, but he was willing to work with the humans through any means necessary."

Something clicked in his head. Cold plummeted in his chest, making him go rigid. He can't be talking about her. Really, this doesn't make any sense. He remembered the scene in the garden. He remembered his mother's dead corpse torn open, blood and entrails on display. The sobs that had poured out of him that day, he promised to never allow himself such weakness again. His Father had been so angry, so enraged.