Suitors, Suitors and More Suitors

***Alec's POV***

Sitting on top of a smooth stone slab in the meadow, Alec tried to keep a straight face as the newest suitors approached him. Because of a certain hunter and the other business he had to attend to, his father was not here to witness the newest entries as they crashed and burned. However, his mother was their, dressed to the nines in her sparkling pearls and sea glass bracelets. The crown of silver and interwoven gold that sat on her forehead had rubies embedded in its middle. All royal crowns were crafted differently, they were meant to show off the different type of ruler each dragon was. This also prevented idiots from desiring to steal crowns because of the enchantments made to each one so only the appropriate wearer could have them on their head. Alec's current crown was designed for the prince he currently was. The silver was perfectly molded to fit his head, the blue stones matching his eyes.

"Are you ready Alec? The suitors are here to see you."

Alec sighed. The crown on his head didn't feel heavy like it used to when he was a small child, but he still was uncomfortable wearing it. Weren't the stripes enough to show off his royal status here? The crowns were only meant to be worn at ceremonies and meetings anyways. Not that I'll be telling Magnus this anytime soon. The human was crouched on the ground, eyeing the tall grass warily. He imagined the hunter was worried about what kinds of dragons they might come across. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Very few dragons have ever intentionally cause harm to dragons in this valley. He thought of a certain dragon who had been exiled, and shuddered inwardly. He was gone, but his son . . .

Maybe Magnus had good reason to be worried after all, though not for the dragon he kept on blaming for his mother's death. Alec knew his father would never be responsible for such a thing, not when he advocated for peace so much.

"Yes, I'm ready. Let's just get this over with." They had switched to the dragon tongue to speak while the hunter was in their presence. Magnus stood at their feet, eyeing the pair. Alec knew he was trying to make out what they were saying. His lips were moving silently as if he was attempting to read their lips. Let him try all he wants. Only dragons can speak this language. It's something we know since our birth.

"Now Alec, you mustn't go into this with this attitude. You must keep an open mind."

"Are all the dragons coming today female?" He asked.

Maryse shrugged. "Not likely. But a good number of them will be."

Alec lets out a frustrated huff. "Mom. How many times do I have to tell you I'll never like women. I'm not attracted to them, not one bit."

Maryse chuckled. "I know son. You're Father thought the same thing for one time, back when he was—"

"Back when he was dating Michael, I know Mom."

It was weird to think that his father's right hand dragon was the same dragon who Robert thought had been his mate. But that was what happened to many dragons who didn't run into their predestined in early years. They became curious about their options, willing to explore in an effort to find the truth. By nature dragons are loving and caring and kind. Friendship can stretch through boundaries to the point where a platonic soulmate may seem like they are meant to be more. There was a time he himself thought he had a crush on Jace. It was a relief for him to find out what that love actually stemmed from: a sense of brotherhood.

"Then you know that it's your duty as prince to take all the suitors into account, no matter what gender they may be," Maryse said.

"Of course. Bring them in." He stood with his back erect. His tail curled over his feet as he sat down. Scales glinted with afternoon sunlight, wings warming up with it.