A Convening of Friends

***Magnus's POV***

As he was set to head out in the woods tomorrow in search of dragons, he was allowed the rest of the evening to rest and prepare. Never one to miss a night on the town Magnus found himself heading out to the Full Moon Tavern. The sun was fading over the horizon as he pushed his way inside the small establishment. Barstools were lined up against the counter in a neat row, spotted cowhide sewn into each one. Several of them were taken up by casual patrons already.

"I'll have my usual blend Maia dearest." He called out.

Maia was bartending this evening. The establishment was her adoptive father's business. Magnus had met Luke several times in the past. He was a good friend, the kind that one could always grab a drink with.

"About time you showed up Magnus. Cut off any heads today?" Magnus accepted the wooden mug she nudged his way. The liquid was filled with strong alcohol, a slight burning taste at the back of his throat as he swallowed down a gulp. It was like a breath of fresh air to him.

"No. But you'll be the first to know if I do."

"Good. Those murderous reptiles deserve to be buried in the ground."

Maia's anger toward dragon-kind was not undeserved. A savage beast had murdered her birth family after a sale gone wrong. Her family had never been kind to her to Magnus's knowledge, but having a family —even if they hated you needlessly—was still better than having no family at all.

"Yes they do. Are the others here?"

Maia nodded, her angry scowl temporarily fading. "Clary and Simon are waiting for you in the back room already."

"And what about Raphael?"

He didn't bother asking about Ragnor and Catarina. Bars like this were a place they would rarely be seen at, if they were seen at all. Magnus would have to stop by their shared apartment before he left the city.

"He didn't show up. Something about hating social events, and most people in general." Maia chuckled.

"I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from Raphael. Though I'll make an extrovert out of him yet." Magnus responded cheerfully.

Maia rolled her eyes. "Yes, because I'm sure that will go well."

"Will you join us when your shift is over?"

"Of course Magnus. Now let me get back to work. These mugs aren't going to fill themselves." Maia gestured to the many set up mugs just waiting to be filled with alcohol. The kegs sat behind the bar promisingly, just waiting to be tapped into.

"This is true. See you later."

After giving his friend a copious tip he went into the back room. Unlike the rest of the bar, this place was closed off. A pool table sat in the middle of the room underneath an overhanging lamp light. The balls were already cued up with Clary and Simon leaning over it. Simon's stick was poised to strike.

Thunk.

He hit the white ball. It made its inexorable path to strike two of the striped balls. The little thuds as they landed in their pockets was satisfying to hear. Clary was leaning up against the wall, sipping her drink in one hand while the other was wrapped around her own pool stick.

"Magnus! You're finally here!" Clary said, delighted.

Simon looked up from his spot positioned over the cold balls. "Hey Magnus. How was your day. Sorry we started playing without you, but Clary was getting impatient."

Clary let out a huff, smacking her friend on the back. "Si. I was not."

"Yes you were."

"Never mind that." Magnus shook his head fondly at their behavior. "I have news to share and not much time to share it." He waved his hands in the air for dramatic effect. It had the desired effect of making Simon intrigued. Clary just look amused at her friend's antics.