Full Moon Tavern

****Alec's POV****

He fidgeted with the sleeves of his sweater, palms clammy from cold sweat. While he wasn't unaccustomed to wearing human clothing, it still felt strange to have it on for hours on end. But with Magnus watching him out of the corner of his eye Alec ways doing his best to appear casual. However, with his straightened posture and stiff-legged movements, he doubted it was working.

Just act casual Lightwood. Take a deep breath and you'll be fine.

The bar was in their sights, the little place inconspicuous in the background of other stores and buildings. The castle loomed in the distance with its polished stones and gargoyle designs on all the corners. Glass plated windows were crafted with multiple colors, inlayed with the most eye-catching hues. It reminded him of the cathedrals he heard of in stories, and Alec couldn't help the way his eyes were drawn to them. In all the legends, it was in those types of buildings dragons and humans would get together to negotiate peace.

How ironic the castle has been used as a mainstay for war.

"So you say your friend works here?" Alec asked absentmindedly. The roads were inlaid with dark stone, weeds sprouting along the edges. With the paths being wide enough here he thought of his dragon form, how it might be able to fit. But you can't do that for so many reasons.

"Yes. Maia is a lovely person to know. Been friends with her for several years." Magnus explained. "But I wouldn't mention anything about dragons to her."

Alec frowned. "And why would that be?"

Magnus hummed nervously. "Well, it's because . . ."

They were at the door now, the heavy cedar wood bearing the worn down markings of grooves, the door handle rusted. "Does she not like dragons?" Alec guessed. It wouldn't be the first time he heard such a thing from Magnus.

"Something like that, yes."

"Then I shall endeavor not to say a word." Alec huffed, reaching for the handle. Already he could hear several voices inside. There was a shuffling, the sound of liquid sloshing in cups. It seemed the place was decently busy despite being midday. They had already passed by two haggard looking bums lumbering to their homes, the stench of alcohol heavy on their breaths. It probably doubled as a hang out of sorts for hunters. And for the low lives too.

It's like walking right into a trap. He was in no way looking forward to this aspect of their little visit. As long as I don't see any dragon heads hung on the walls I should be fine. It was something he had been telling himself on repeat since they touched down.

"Thank you." Magnus replied.

It was with a groan that the wooden door pushed open with some prompting from his hand. The Full Moon Tavern was lit with a mix of natural lights from the gaps in stones, and then with the low hanging ceiling chandelier. Each little candle light on the massive thing flickered at the gust of wind before stagnating again. Most of the tables were empty, patrons choosing to smoosh themselves into one of the three booths at the back. There was a guy slumped against the the wooden counter next to the bar, a sickly pale guy sitting next to him as he responded drolly to something the bartender said.

"Welcome to Full Moon Tavern! What can I get for . . . Magnus?!"

And he would've paid attention to that voice, if something else hadn't already caught his eye.

****Magnus's POV****

He wasn't surprised to see Maia working the afternoon shift. But the sight of Ragnor slumped at the counter and Raphael gulping down ale from a large mug was almost unheard of. A bucket was left on the middle table, catching the rain from the leak in the roof. He tapped the side of it before striding the rest of the way over. Magnus all but dragged Alec with him, the dragon prince seemingly reluctant to move from his spot in the doorway.