Mother's Concern

****Alec's POV****

"What is the meaning of this?!"

Alec whirled in time to see his mother landing on the ground. Maryse Lightwood was a completely different color scheme then either of her two older children, with Max Lightwood being the exact same color palette as her. She was like a piece of sea glass: her wings were bladed arches of deep blue, her main body a watery color mixed with a leafy pattern down her spine and along her neck. The Trueblood Clan was one of the few to have such sea-like patterns to them, as they were said to originate in the deepest depths of the ocean. This was why Maryse had gills on the sides of her throat. Izzy had the same ones, but they were much harder to notice.

"Mom! Didn't see you there." Izzy laughed nervously. Her horns were the darkest things on her body — solid black.

"Uh huh. Mind telling me why there are these humans here?" Mother's eyes were narrow slits, the promise of punishment laced in her tone.

"We brought them here because we found them at the dragon spring. The one where no human has ever came before." Jace tried to explain. The golden dragon had stepped in front of Clary in what was likely his version of a protective gesture.

Alec resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He shouldn't be wasting his time on a dim witted human. All of them, regardless of their opinions on dragons, were usually forced to obey the dragon hunters. He looked over at Magnus, who was watching Maryse warily as his hands grappled for something that wasn't there. Of course he had sensed the remaining blades on the hunter. The fact that Magnus thought he would be foolish enough to not recognize the concealment was disconcerting. People like him are the reason why dragons have not been able to live in peace. He is the one whose mind must change.

"There has been a human there before, long ago, but this is besides the point. Alec, explain why these flat faces are here." Maryse was hissing in the dragon tongue. Humans did not know dragons had a slang term for them, meant to be as derogatory as possible.

"They're here because they wish to seek peace with dragon kind." Alec murmured back, also switching into the dragon tongue so the humans could not overhear.

Maryse snorted. "One of them is dressed like a hunter, I doubt he wants peace."

Her words were true. Why did Magnus dress in gear if peace was what he was looking for? Perhaps he didn't want peace at all. A shudder ran down his spine at the likely possibility, but at the same time his heart thudded louder in disbelief. The palpitations had the strange tendency to act up whenever Magnus was around. Alec did not know what it meant.

"I know Mom, I know. But," He paused, unsure what to say. Mentioning his own doubts would not solve any problems and may just get the humans killed. Alec wasn't sure if Magnus had killed any dragons as of late, but he would be a fool to assume he had not. And that makes him a hostile. That makes him killable. In dragon customs, besides prey, dragons were to not kill anyone unless it was in self-defense or if they had greatly wronged dragon kind. Anything else would be against the law by the highest decree. "I think he may be useful to us."

"How so?" Maryse's wings were folded up behind her back, a sign she was giving him her full attention.

"Keeping him here will help us learn the hunter's ways so we can save dragons lives. If he wants peace that will be even better, but if not at least we have that to gain."

Maryse nodded, considering. "And what if he wants war? What if he wishes to infiltrate the dragon kingdom to murder us all?"

Alec felt uneasy, but kept his voice steady as he spoke. "Then he will be put to death, along with the rest of his friends if they're involved." He did not want to picture that scenario. It had been a long time since blood had been spilled in the valley, and he felt no pleasure in entertaining bloodshed again.

But if he threatens my homeland then I have to do what's right. Already he was planning to keep an eye on Magnus, his mother's worries and finding the weapons on the hunter only heightening the sense of responsibility in him. He would be king someday, so it was his duty to protect his people from possible threats. Just as it's my duty to seek out peace.

"Good." Maryse nodded in approval. She had the same long horns her daughter had, though hers were a deep blue with scraggly seaweed green wrapped around the spirals. "I trust you'll stick to your word."

"So they can stay?" Alec asked.

The elder dragon tilted her head in consideration. "For tonight, but your Father has the final say on if they can stay longer. Are we clear?"

"Yes mother. We are."

Convincing his Father was NOT something he looked forward to, but he knew his mother was right. As King of the valley, Robert had final say on whether or not the humans would be allowed to stay in their sacred homeland.