Speaking to the King

***Clary's POV***

"Where is he taking Magnus?" She asked as Alec left with Magnus in tow.

The younger dragon had averted his gaze from her when she yelled at him to stay, demanded he not take Magnus away. She had not only been ignored, but the silver dragon from earlier wrapped her in his steady grip to prevent her from running off. Smooth scales rubbed up against her midsection.

"To the dungeons of course. Assaulting the King is no small crime." One of the elder dragons rasped.

"Sire, what shall we do with the other humans?" Mark asked. She was relieved to be set back down on the ground. Simon put his arm on her shoulder to steady her.

The king, a massive dark dragon, stared over the humans with cold eyes. Clary shuddered at the knowledge behind them, the way those stripes lit up according to his will. Something was hidden inside the King. There was a secret below the surface, but it was impossible to tell what it was. Maybe it has to do with Magnus? She knew why her friend had attacked the king. Everyone knew what happened to Melati. That didn't mean she agreed with her friend's tactics however.

"For now, bring them back to the cave whence they came." The king ordered.

"No! We can't go back now! There's so much we need to discuss," Simon said, being brave for once.

"Yeah. How are we supposed to broker peace if we're stuck in a cave all the time?" Clary was indignant.

"Maybe your little friend should have thought that through before he attacked my friend." The golden dragon —Michael— growled. He was a bulky figure just like Jace, though his scales weren't quite as sun-kissed.

"Now now. I'm sure there's a peaceful way we can go about this."

Catarina raised her hands placatingly. A few of the dragons sniffed at the warlock curiously, as if not sure what to make of her. The cave felt small with so many dragons inside, though it was pretty homey too. The stalagmites chairs and plateau mount were suffice enough for their quality.

"Oh, and what would you suggest Warlock? I will not put my people at risk if that's what your asking." The king said.

He was giving them his full attention, tail raised and everything. Those dark expanse of wings were shaped like Alec's own though there was something much harsher in the older dragon's face. Perhaps it was the scar running along his jawline. Or maybe it was just the way one of his horns was slightly twisted. Either way, it made her uneasy.

"What you do with Magnus is your own decision. All I ask is that you give him a fair trial, and that you give the rest of us a chance. We had no idea Magnus would do what he did and so we ask not to be passed the same harsh judgment, if at all possible."

The king stared at Catarina with narrowed eyes. There was a twitching in his muzzle; Clary wondered what he was thinking. But then Robert started chuckling, the depth roared sound echoing off of the cave walls. The other dragons watched their king silently.

"Heh. You sure are something else warlock, so negotiable. I knew there was a reason why I always liked your kind."

Her kind? Dragons sure are weird.

"So we can stay above ground?" Simon asked hopefully.

The King nodded. "I don't see why not. As long as none of you act like the Hunter there should be no problems. Michael, Mark, bring the remaining humans to my home. While they stay here that's where they will belong."

***

A/N: Yes I know this chapter is short. To make up for it, the next update will be coming up shortly (probably 2 days instead of 4).