Apology Accepted?

***Magnus's POV***

Magnus still felt sore all over the following day, but at the very least he was able to move again. Alec carefully carried him up to a higher floor in the dungeon. He grumbled about being knocked out during the move. How exactly was he supposed to learn the layout of the place if he couldn't experience it for himself?

"Ugh. When will we be going out again?" Magnus stared ahead at the stone walls. They were all stone, the only differences being the cracks in the walls and the change in frequency of the dripping water sounds.

Alec rolled his eyes. He was in dragon form again — a real shame too— his dark wings brushing the edges of the enclosed space. "I can go whenever I want. But I'm waiting for it to be prepared."

"What exactly are you preparing?" Magnus asked, his interest piqued.

Alec stared at him with a hint of amusement. His stripes lit up faintly. Magnus wondered if it was a conscious decision for the markings to do such a thing. He still didn't know how they worked, but he understood that they were connected to the young prince's heritage.

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Yes. I thought we already established that."

Alec dragged a claw along the hard ground. The noise produced was similar to chalk scratching across a chalkboard. "You don't need to know what it is. Just understand it's something to keep your savagery in control."

Magnus frowned. "So am I to be chained up?" He hadn't been surprised to hear the council of elders had declared him guilty of trying to assassinate the king. However, he was surprised as to why this trial had been held without his attendance. Not exactly fair hmm. But really Magnus should've expected poor treatment. These were monsters after all.

"Something like that. Don't worry, you'll be with me the whole time."

"I don't like the idea of being chained up," Magnus said.

Alec rolled his eyes. "Should've thought about that before trying to kill my father."

"How many times am I going to have to apologize for my mistake?"

"As many times as it takes for me to forgive you." Alec responded in equal measure.

Magnus resisted the urge to glare at his dragon companion. He doubted it would make matters any better. No, it'll only make things worse. "I am sorry Alec."

The dragon sighed. "I know. But this isn't my choice to make."

"Aren't you the prince? Don't you hold some sway in this decision?"

Alec shared ahead pointedly. "It's thanks to me you're not already dead. Be lucky you still have your life and your head attached to your body."

Magnus frowned at the gruesome imagery. For all it's cultural attributes, beheading was by far his least favorite way of killing. Too much blood and bone visible. A terrible way to die. The cave hall was expanding into a wider space. He assumed they would be at their destination soon.

"I thought you said dragons were a peaceful lot. Aren't beheadings out of line with that?"

If Alec felt insulted, he didn't show it. His expression was carefully blank like a vault sealed up tight. "In dragon history, there are a lot of things we have been made to do that were out of line with our desire for peace. Sometimes, war is unavoidable."

They stopped in place, the prince setting him on the ground. Magnus wobbled slightly, but managed to keep his balance. Alec's words were ominous and troubled. Clearly the prince knew things Magnus did not. How much prying will it take for him to tell me? Or, would I be better off going to another source of information? He doubted the second option would work out. The other dragons didn't seem to like him too much if the chains were any indication.

"Yeah, I guess that's true. But, I don't think we need to worry about that right now. Not when we're trying to gain peace." Plus, I'll try to end things quickly for you. It'll hurt less that way. His heart knew those thoughts were wrong however. Since coming to Magnus felt adrift, his resolve wavering.

Alec tilted his head. "You have a funny way of showing it."

"Alec!"

"Hehe I'll stop, but only if . . ."

"Only if what?"

"Only if you come with me."

Alec extended his hand to pull Magnus forward. With conflicting impulses he snagged one of the dragon's claws, allowing the dark beauty to pull him towards wherever he had in mind. It was Alec, so whatever it was couldn't be that bad.

"Sure. Anything to get me out of this dank cave." And he did mean those words. After being trapped here for two days he was beginning to grow restless. Magnus's eyes adjusted as best they could to the eternal blackness, but even then he could hardly see his outstretched hands. Those illuminated stripes were the only light he had to guide himself by. He was dependent on Alec to show him the way, as much as he hated to admit it.