CHAPTER FIFTEEN

(6 months later)

Michael’s POV

Today’s the day. Today’s the day that could make my life change forever. There’s just one question…what’s the best way to do it?

Then I had an idea. Today is also New Year’s Eve and we are going to a party. I’ll do it then.

I walked downstairs to find Kiara and Charlotte spread out on the floor surrounded in food and watched the Wiggles. I made my way over to them and sat beside Kiara and pulled Charlotte onto my lap.

“Mikey!” she squealed when I started tickling her.

“What’s wrong baby girl?” I asked, playing dumb.

“Stoppppp!” she squealed. I stopped tickling her and she giggled.

“Was that fun?” I questioned. She slapped my arm and hopped off my lap.

“No” she spat. Little shit has a lot of attitude for her age. I chuckled to myself and placed my arm around Kiara’s shoulders.

“C’mon Michael, time to get ready” Kiara stated as she rose from her spot on the floor.

“But it’s only 5:34PM” I argued.

“I don’t care. We are meeting one of my friends at the park so we need to leave at 6:15PM” she explained. I sighed in defeat and got up off the floor.

I walked into Kiara’s bedroom and grabbed the bag of clothes that I keep at her house and took out my dark blue flannel and my black skinny jeans that are ripped at the knees. I matched the outfit with my black leather Dr Martens and my silver chain. I was ready within 5 minutes while Kiara was still dressing Charlotte.

I headed towards Charlotte’s room and when I was just outside her bedroom door, I could hear talking but I could only hear Kiara’s voice. Oh well she must be on the phone. I leaned my ear against the door and tried to listen in on the conversation.

“I don’t know…Luke I’m not ready…I know and I’m sorry…I just need some time…Charlotte’s fine…no she doesn’t ask for you much anymore…I’m sorry…oh shit, Luke I have to go” was what I could hear. Luke? She was talking to Luke? I knocked on the door before walking in.

“Was that Luke on the phone?” I asked. Kiara sighed before nodding hesitantly.

I walked back out of the room and went downstairs. I wonder what’s happening with them. Was that the first time they’ve spoken to each other or have they spoken before?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kiara’s POV

“When can I see you again?” his voice rang through the phone.

“I don’t know” I replied.

“Please come back. I miss you and Charlotte so much” he pleaded.

“Luke I’m not ready” I argued.

“But it’s been almost eight months, how are you not ready?” he asked, sadness evident in his voice.

“I know and I’m sorry” I apologised.

“Please” he begged once again.

“I just need some time” I said. I was starting to get a little bit frustrated.

“Well how’s Charlotte? Is she good?” he asked.

“Charlotte’s fine” I replied, looking over at my beautiful baby girl.

“Does she still ask for me?” he asked with hope clear in the tone of his voice.

“No, she doesn’t ask for you much anymore” I stated. I felt so bad saying it to him but it’s the truth and the truth hurts sometimes.

“Oh” was all he said. I could hear his voice crack as he spoke.

“I’m sorry” I apologised. ‘

“No it’s fine” he assured me but I wasn’t convinced.

I looked at my watch and freaked when I saw the time.

“Oh shite, Luke I have to go” and with that I ended the call. I took in a deep breath and then there was a knock on Charlotte’s door and Michael walked in with a concerned expression on his face.

“Was that Luke on the phone?” he asked and I sighed before hesitantly nodding and then Michael walked out of Charlotte’s room.

Is he mad? Does he think I’m cheating on him with Luke? does he think that I don’t love him anymore? Did he hear the whole conversation or just some of it?

There were so many questions running through my head but I pushed them to the back of my head and finished getting Charlotte ready.

I dressed Charlotte in a pastel pink flowy dress that finished just above her knees and matched it with her white sandals. I put a white and pink headband in her hair and applied a little bit of lipstick to her lips.

I ran downstairs with Charlotte in my arms and told Michael to watch her whilst I got ready.

I ran back up upstairs and into my room. My hair was already straightened so I pinned back my fringe and applied the usual make up to my eyes. I opened my wardrobe and got out my black shorts with my white flowy top and my white pumps. I grabbed my purse and Charlotte’s baby bag and headed downstairs.

The three of us left the house like a happy little family.

If only we were an actual family…

*             *             *

Tonight was going great and it was already 11:48PM. Only 12 more minutes left of 2014. My friend Annabelle was with us but she went to the bar with Mikey and her boyfriend Wesley.

Annabelle and Wesley have been dating for almost a year and they look so cute together and they are both very committed to each other which is really good. I wish my relationships were like that.

I was playing Peek-A-Boo with Charlotte when Michael came back holding his and my drinks.

“Thanks” I said as Michael handed me my drink.

“No worries baby” Michael replied as he placed a soft kiss to my temple.

I looked at the big clock that was mounted on the brick wall of the venue we were at and there was only 3 minutes left of 2014. I looked over at Michael and Charlotte who were happily dancing to the music and laughing to each other.

The song finished and they returned back to our little table.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Michael’s POV

This is it. Only half a minute to go.

I felt inside my pocket and made sure I had what I needed. Yep, it’s there.

I looked over at Kiara who was whispering to Charlotte and smiled. One day we will really be a happy family.

“TEN…NINE…EIGHT…SEVEN…SIX…FIVE…FOUR…THREE…TWO…ONE…HAPPY NEW YEAR!” everyone shouted.

Now’s the time.

I got down on one knee and pulled out the small blue velvet box. Kiara gasped when she knew what I was doing and didn’t even let me ask the question before I asked.

Ok then.

“OH MY GOD MICHAEL, YES OF COURSE!” she squealed in happiness.

What better way to start 2015?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------