CHAPTER EIGHT

Luke’s POV

It was now 1:45PM and I’m waiting for Michael to come and pick me up so we can go and visit Kiara and Charlotte. I was strumming on my guitar when I heard my phone ring. I put my guitar down and slid my finger across the screen to answer it.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey man, I’m in your driveway. Hurry u” and with that the line went dead. Typical Michael.

I grabbed my hoodie and put it on before waling downstairs.

“Mum, I’m going out with Michael. I’ll be back in a couple hours!” I shouted to my mum from the front door.

“OK honey, have fun” she replied and I went outside.

After a 5 minute drive, we pulled up to Kiara’s house. I got out of the car before Michael had even cut the engine and I ran to the front door.

I knocked on the door and waited for Kiara to answer. There was no response so I knocked again.

By now Michael was standing next to me with a puzzled look spread across his face. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and decided to ring the doorbell.

 After 5 minutes we were still outside and Kiara wasn’t answering her phone.

“Maybe she’s asleep?” I stated, more like a question.

Michael nodded and then bent down and lifted up the door mat. Under the door mat was a spare house. I grabbed it from Michael’s grasp and quickly unlocked the door.

When I entered, the house was silent. If you dropped a pin in here, you would be able to hear it hit the floor. I made my way into the kitchen and saw that all the appliances were turned off and the house phone was unplugged. Kiara’s phone charger was missing from the power point next to the toaster as well.

I turned around to walk into lounge room when I noticed something at the end of the dining table. I walked over the object and saw an envelope with my name on it written in Kiara’s cursive writing. I opened the envelope and read the letter.

Dear Luke,

I’m sorry this isn’t a proper good bye but I’m sorry. I’m so confused and I have been since the day you walked into my life. Maybe it was a good thing that we met or maybe it was a bad thing but all I know is that I need time away to think and get my mind straight.

I have a future and a daughter to think about and I think that in the past few months I have been getting caught up too much with the life of an average 18 year old and that’s a bad thing because I’m not an average 18 year old. I have a child and I don’t even know who the father is. It could be you or it could not be you.

In the envelope with this letter are two photos. One is of the photo from the night Charlotte was conceived and the other photo is a recent photo of Charlotte just in case she is your daughter and you’ll have something to remember her. She loves you very much and asks for you every hour, just so you know.

The item folded on the table is a hoodie that belonged to Charlotte’s father. I borrowed it the morning after the party and never gave it back because I didn’t remember who it belonged to. When I found it the other day, there was a locket in the pocket with a message from a grandma to her grandson named Luke. I have a strong feeling that the hoodie and locket belongs to you. If they do then I’m sorry for keeping it all this time.

In the bag is a swab of Charlotte’s saliva for you to get a DNA test if you wish. I really hope you are the father because Charlotte really needs a male figure in her life. When you get the results please don’t try and contact me because I need to get away. Maybe one day I’ll come back and we will meet again, but until then…