38. Shadow of Death

A/N: The chapter you guys have been waiting for! We're finally getting some long awaited answers to some of your burning questions. I hope you enjoy this chapter and it begins to clear up some stuff. Don't forget to leave behind your beautiful thoughts and vote <3

Helpful Glossary:

qortesso - princess

cimmimur - commoner

Isei - the Elite

Ni lave - my love

Alethia felt her heart sink at the words

You are the weakest one.

As if lurking in the corner of her mind, her mother's voice appeared. The penalty for weakness is death.

Memories of dark and torturous hours she had spent trying to rid herself of all forms of weakness flooded her. She had done everything her mother had ordered her to over the years. All in the attempt to rid herself of that one singular word.

Weak.

Her hands curled into fists until her nails began biting into her skin. The stinging pain cleared her mind as she focused on Kai. Alethia's nostrils flared as the silence lingered in the air. She could feel Naevia's eyes observing her reactions, reading her like an open book.

"I can only imagine what Icarus has put you through," Naevia spoke, dissolving the tension with a soothing tone. "I am sure he has done everything in his power to strip you of your humanity, and yet, you did not break. However, the damage has been done, qortesso. You must rid yourself of his teachings and gain back the things that have been taken from you."

Alethia's stormy grey eyes shifted away from the woman's face. Her ears tingled as she glanced around at everyone whose attention remained on her. Jaw tightening with discomfort and anger piling up in her stomach, Alethia noticed the unfazed expression on Ren's face. The knot in her stomach loosened as she realized his silent message to her.

You are not weak.

Kai raised his jeweled fingers, putting them down as he spoke, "You lack control of your magic. You cannot overcome your fear of your mother, our major enemy in this war. You are arrogant when it comes to your fighting abilities and control of your emotions. In reality, your emotions have control over you."

When Alethia continued to remain quiet, Naevia smiled gently. "This is why we are here. We will train you. And you must be open-minded, willing, and patient. It will take time, but it will be worth it. For all of you."

She bit the inside of her cheek as she struggled to restrain the flood of jagged emotions rushing through her. Despite her attempts to push them away, memories slammed to the surface of her mind.

A haunting pain twisted her insides as she recalled the various types of poison that were put into her food and water until she starved herself in an attempt to escape them. Healers who hovered over her, sweat dripping down their face and splattering against her wet, feverish cheeks.