9. Sadistic Bastards (Part 2)

Ren was the first one off the ship before it was properly tied to the dock

Ren was the first one off the ship before it was properly tied to the dock. The workers glanced at him in surprise, but he ignored them. Without Galen to take away some of the seasickness, the two-day long boat ride had been torturous. His body had broken out in a cold sweat, and combined with his injuries, he'd almost wished to drown in the sea to end it faster. Ren let out a slow breath, feeling steadier with his feet on unmoving land.

Alethia shifted on her feet at his side, neck craning back and forth as she observed the busy market town.

Wooden booths stood in front of shops where traders yelled out deals to gather customers. The scent of cooked meat, alluring spices, and perfumes filled the air. People of all ages walked through the market, haggling with vendors, and laughing with their companions. A group of female Nixians, evident from their red hair and caramel skin, stood by a nearby weaponry booth, testing out a pair of throwing daggers.

Ren started towards the smith shop where he used to stay with Galen. Alethia followed his long strides hastily as she stared at their surroundings. He couldn't blame her for it. He remembered the first time he had arrived in Gera with Galen. He had been an awestruck kid, wanting to explore every nook and cranny of the market town. Now, after living there for eight years, he knew the town like the back of his hand.

He stopped at a booth where an old woman with wrinkles across her face gave him a wide smile.

"I haven't seen you around in a while," The woman said as she held out a brown folded parcel. He grasped it, the hot contents warming his cold hands.

Passing over a bronze coin, he gave a small smile. "Been out on business. Weapons don't forge or sell themselves, Nana."

"And who is this young lady?" Nana peered over his shoulder at Alethia, who ducked her head lower. "You better be feeding her well."

He nodded, turning away. She chuckled, waving him along. He continued walking, unwrapping the parchment to reveal two steaming meat pies. Ren passed one to Alethia, who stared at it for a moment before taking a tentative bite. He devoured the other in two bites, calming the growling in his stomach. Ren would miss the meat pies the most. Nana was old, but she knew how to cook.

He sighed, the crowd thinning as they got closer to the shop. He turned down another path, the shop appearing on their right side. Ren pulled out the key from underneath the potted plant next to the door, unlocking it and walking inside.

Within the shop, the walls lined with weapons Galen and he had forged together. Axes, swords, daggers, and spearheads greeted him, along with the distinct scent of coal dust and molten iron. A small forge was on the wall to the side of an open window. An anvil stood in the center of the room, holding hammers, tongs, and chisels.

He held the door open for Alethia and closed it after she entered. His heart was heavy in his chest. This had been their home.

At every corner of the room he could recall a memory he'd had with Galen. The time he had slammed the hammer onto his finger by accident as a kid and Galen had treated it. Or the time he started wielding weapons that they forged under Galen's observant eyes. He remembered when Galen tried to convince him to embrace his healing magic.