20. A Bloody Massacre (Part 2: The Flesh)

A/N: In an attempt to NOT break down a chapter lol, I'm leaving this one at its current length. Please leave any comments and don't forget to vote! Enjoy :D

 Please leave any comments and don't forget to vote! Enjoy :D

Alethia's eyes narrowed in on her mother. A burst of hot anger spread through her veins, lighting her entire body on fire. Alethia took a deep breath, trying to shove her mother's mocking voice out of her head.

Emotions are an unwanted distraction.

But, she refused to push down her rage. The queen had killed her father. The man who had supported her and taught her how to be good. A sweet man, her precious treasure, who had sacrificed himself for her.

The queen was going to pay for taking him away from her. And it was going to be by Alethia's hands. This kingdom and its people were none of her concern. Nothing mattered but this moment. She had patiently waited, silent, and docile to anyone's questioning eyes. All for this, to be in front of her mother again to do the one thing she had wanted to do for years but hadn't had the guts.

Nor the heart to do so because of her sister.

But after Roxana's betrayal, Alethia had nothing to lose anymore. All that remained of her was an empty shell burning with fury like the flames engulfing the market town. And she reveled in it.

Alethia inched forward, gripping the bloodied hilt of her sword tighter. She ignored the carnage around her, and the prince's observant eyes as he looked between her and the queen.

She didn't care if he figured it out and saw the resemblance between the two of them.

Everything was going to be over soon enough.

A hand grasped her arm, bringing her slow progression forward to a halt. Alethia twisted around, lifting her sword in a flash to point it at Ren's neck. Its tip buried slightly in the soft skin beneath his chin, a thin trail of blood trickling down it.

"Stay out of my way, or the next head I cut off will be your own," Alethia snarled, eyes narrowing on his unflinching face.

He scowled at her. "I'd like to see you try."

She brought back the sword, lips pressing together as she felt her anger simmer. He was an obstacle in her way. Ren's face showed a hint of uncertainty, and she noticed his hand tighten on the axe in his hand.

"Hey, we don't have time for this," Sephirah interrupted the pair, maneuvering between them. The redhead glanced down the path where the queen was approaching. "We need to work together if we're going to stop her."

"I don't require your worthless help," Alethia snapped. Sephirah's eyes narrowed at her, and the bird on her shoulder rustled its wings.

The Nixian princess leaned closer, her bloodied face taking up Alethia's entire vision. "Worthless as you may think my help is, I will not allow you to do anything foolish under my watch. If you want to get to her, then you'll have to go through me."