21. A Bloody Massacre (Part 3: Until Death)

A/N: Here's the final parts of the bloody massacre! Omg, writing these past couple of chapters have taken a lot out of me lol. Intensity level is real. Hope you guys enjoy! Please vote, comment, and follow if you're feeling kind :)

Aydin drew back his spear, blood splattering out of the Kantian's chest and hitting him in the face

Aydin drew back his spear, blood splattering out of the Kantian's chest and hitting him in the face. He risked a glance behind him, checking to make sure his father was still behind him. His crown glinted in the light, and the king gestured at Queen Liliana, words flying between them.

He strained to hear, the urge to get closer and listen to their conversation, causing him to step backward. A sword gleamed in his peripheral vision. His body jerked into action. Too slow. Aydin's magic sputtered. He attempted to bring up his spear to block.

Suddenly, someone shoved into his shoulder, knocking him to the side. Aydin stumbled over a grey-skinned corpse. Mud formed by his people's water magic stuck to his boots.

Lance slashed his sword across the corpse's throat, and it thudded to the ground. He turned his light brown eyes on Aydin, a scowl on his face. "Don't get distracted."

Aydin smiled gratefully at his lieutenant. Lance had been watching his back way before he became general.

Every skirmish and squad training session, they had been paired up. They could always be found together either in the soldier's barracks or joking around in the field. He considered Lance to be more than his lieutenant. He was a brother that Aydin never had.

He certainly hadn't gotten his flirting methods from his father.

Lance had taught him everything he knew before he was named general. After that happened, Lance had gotten way more serious. Sometimes to the point where Aydin questioned if he had a secret twin that replaced him.

Shaking his head to get rid of the memories, Aydin cleared his throat. Lance glanced at him briefly as he shielded him from another attack.

"Lead the men," Aydin shouted over the chaos around them. "I'm going to help the king."

His lieutenant grunted, and Aydin took that as approval. Aydin turned on his heel, eyes scanning the soldiers fighting around him and the littering bodies. Flames from Nova's fire still blazed, wind fueling them even further. By the small amount of mud and water flying, he could tell everyone's magic was running low. His magic was depleting dangerously low.

It was becoming a battle of endurance.

Aydin jogged through pairs of fighters, shield thrusting aside the swords and axes that came at him. His spear twirled as he sliced through his enemies quickly and efficiently. Aydin blew a strand of white hair out of his eyes. Cuts across his body stung while his legs were like deadweights. He felt like crashing in the dirt and sleeping for eternity.