50. A Tarnished Savior (Part 3)

People in the crowd began to spit out angry retorts

"Crooked scum!"

"Wretched creatures fated for destruction!"

"Rot in the hellhole you crawled out of!"

The insults were endless and rose in volume as the clans' people began raising their palms, preparing to use some form of unknown magic.

Naevia raised a hand and silence fell immediately. They dropped their arms and bowed their heads, but their expressions remained ferocious.

"There is a reason for everything in this world," Naevia stated softly. Her dark eyes glistened with understanding and sorrow. "As there are consequences to every action. Enter our tent, doas, and I shall explain many of your unanswered questions. The time has come for you to know."

"I'm not entering a damn thing, you old hag." Ren's nostrils flared in annoyance. The crowd hissed out anger remarks.

Alethia glared at the Naevia, observing as the twins behind her began to move their hands in unison. "The words you weave together carry as much weight as a feather."

Argan grunted, flopping uncharacteristically in the pillow resting by the head of the table they'd vacated in the commotion. "Truths are like the desert lions. When released to roam, they'll defend themselves. The choice rests upon you to hear them, but no one will coerce you."

"I say we listen to them," Aydin spoke up, gathering their attention.

Ren's brow furrowed. "And since when do I listen to you?"

"Maybe your brain fried after the traumatizing incident you just went through, but let me remind you, you idiot," Sephirah started, her voice deepening with anger. "They made you almost kill yourself, poisoned Alethia to the brink of death, and forced Ren to nearly meet his own end. And you think we should listen to these people? Do you hear yourself?"

Alethia cleared her throat. "Their words might weigh less but that does not discredit them entirely. I want answers."

Sephirah threw back her head, yanked on her hair and groaned loudly. Then her shoulders fell as if the fight had drained out of her. She crossed her arms and spoke grudgingly, "Well if this atrocity is truly occurring then dispel with the foolish crowd. I see no reason why their presence is necessary. If anything, it is threatening and unwelcome. And we remain here, not in enclosed tents where ashes know what might lay in wake for us."

Ren grunted in agreement. The twins beckoned the crowd away at the elder's nod of approval. As the crowd dispersed, the twins twisted a ring around their index finger and mumbled discrete words--wrapping them in a thick blanket of silence as they watched the clan's people depart, throwing angry looks over their shoulders.

"You might as well make yourselves comfortable," Argan grumbled as he rested his chin on his hand, slumping down and shutting his eyes as if to take a nap.