Chapter 14

The moment Steve opened his eyes, he knew something was wrong. He remembered crashing the plane along with himself, he was supposed to be dead. And the game playing on the radio, he remembered that game, he was there with y/n. All his doubts got confirmed when a woman entered the room greeting him. Indeed something was wrong.

“Where am I?” his voice hoarse. “You are in a recovery room in New York City,” she said with a fake hesitant smile. He looked at her, her attire, her expressions, she was lying.

He looked towards the radio and then towards her “where am I really?” he asked as if daring her to lie again. But the woman was still trying to act, even if she knew she was screwed because of her miserable acting. With a nervous smile, she replied: “I am afraid I don't understand.” Steve was quite a patient man but now his patience was running out, he knew he was alive, he didn’t die and the war was over. Now he could make y/n his wife, he would go back just like he promised. 

But first, he had to know where the heck was he? Was he in some hydra base? Was this all an imagination? He didn’t know what to think. 

Still looking at the woman in her eyes, he told her, he knew she was lying “the game, it’s from May 1941. I know cuz I was there.” and the expressions on her face says it all, she really was screwed. 

He stood up instantly sauntering over her, “I'm gonna ask you again.where am I?” “ Who are you?” he yelled.

Suddenly the door opened and to men with guns appeared. He took a step back. He was somewhere, where he shouldn’t be. He pushed them to escape but the room was faked. It broke and he saw everything was fake. The room, the view, everything was an act. He started to run ignoring the woman’s calling. He went out the door and saw people in black suits, the woman announcing code 13 on the speaker. Everyone turned and looked at him. He was running pushing everyone that was coming in his way. 

And when he got outside the building, he regretted opening his eyes. The streets, the buildings, nothing was the same as he remembered. He looked around, his heart beating fast, head pounding., trying to figure out what was happening. 

Then someone’s voice made him turn around, and a man in black with a patch on his eye. Black cars surrounding him, a crowd of people with cameras in their hands, were surrounding him. He was nowhere to run. The man came near him, his demeanor calm “look I’m sorry about that show back there. But… we thought we thought it’s best to break it to you slowly” the man’s talking in riddles was making him more frustrated. Just tell him what the hell was happening and get lost.

“Break what?” he asked, afraid of the answer. The man’s expressions changed “you’ve asleep cap. For almost 70 years.” he said as if it wasn’t a big deal. 

Him sleeping for seven decades wasn’t a big deal, the years he promised to spend with the love of his life, he spent sleeping, wasn’t a big deal at all. He truly was regretting opening his eyes. 

There were no expressions on his face, nothing on his mind except for y/n. Where would she be, dead or alive? Did she marry someone? And suddenly he couldn’t feel his headache, the ache in his heart was too much to feel anything else. He wanted all of this to be a dream.

Because if that was his life now, he couldn’t live it, not without her. Maybe it was a punishment of him leaving her. He got his life back only to feel the same, y/n felt in all those years without him. Whatever it was, he had to live with this now, with pain and regrets in his heart. 

He took breaths, didn’t know what to say. The man was looking at him with neutral expressions. Steve looked around, his eyes began to wet. He would cry but not know. “You gonna be okay?” he asked. Steve didn’t even know what to say, he wanted to yell. No, I’m not okay, I am not going to be okay. He wanted to scream, why did they bring him back, why now after all those years. But that’s not what he said. “Yeah...yeah, I just... I had a date.”

~

y/n didn’t know what to do, what to think. Was she happy, was she scared? She sure felt relieved seeing Steve after so many years, seeing him alive. She was happy she chose to live to see him again. She couldn’t believe he was alive, all those years he had been alive, just if she knew that. She would’ve rescued him. Now seeing him, she realized how much she wanted to be with him, seeing his sad, shocked face on the TV. she wanted to go to him, tell him everything was fine she was there. She knew he was thinking about her. 

But could she go to him? What would she tell him, how was she even alive? How would she tell that she had become a monster, she feeds on people. All these years she was feeding on blood to live. She wasn’t the y/n he knew, the y/n who saves people, no matter who that person was good or bad. Doctor y/l/n wasn’t an honest doctor anymore. The blood bags, once she gave to her patients, were now stored in her fridge as her food.  

How would she tell him about all those people she killed in brutal ways, her intention was indeed good, to kill the bad guys but did that make her hero? No, she needed blood, that’s why she killed them, for herself. She wasn’t a good person, she was a killer. A blood feeding monster, that’s what she is. She couldn’t let Steve know about her. He wouldn’t accept her, she cheated death. She was against nature, Steve was a good man, he wouldn’t accept that, accept her.

He was better off without her. Who wants to live with someone who thinks of them as something to eat.

She didn’t know when she started to cry. Her face was drenched in her tears. Trying to get control of her sobs she called on her phone. “Damon?” her voice hoarse and he knew she was crying. “What happened y/n?” 

“N… nothing I just wanted to, I don’t know.” she didn’t know why she called him. She couldn’t even make any excuse. And without saying anything she cut the call, making Damon worry. He knew something happened and was bothering her. She wasn’t the one to cry, after being a vampire he never saw her crying. So without wasting any time he decided to pay her a visit.