Chapter 24

Steve's sudden change in behavior was bothering her. Maybe he just wanted to know about her or the distance she was creating in between them. She didn't know it was a good or bad idea to invite him but tonight day she would tell him everything and let him decide what he wants.

She got out of her car and picked up the grocery bags from the backseat. She opened the door, only to sigh in annoyance.

"Hello, beautiful" Damon greeted her with a smile. He was sitting on her couch, an apple in his hand.

She ignored him and walked towards the kitchen. "What are you doing here?" her tired tone made him.

"Ouchh," he said coming towards her. "You are not happy seeing me huh"

y/n chuckled and shook her head, "no, it's just.... I invited Steve for dinner tonight." she told him while taking the things out of the bags.

"Ooh!! Don't worry I won't ruin your night hun" he winked at her, making her roll her eyes.

"It's not like that, I just wanted to tell him and get over with it."

He knew she was worried, he took her hand making her stop working. "Do not worry y/n, it won't make any difference for him. Make good food for him and then maybe... give him the best night ever.." she hit him in the head at his words.

"You are gross, you know that"

~

She checked out herself in the mirror one last time, her anxiety was increasing. Suddenly the doorbell rang but before she could get to it, Damon opened the door the greet her guest.

He smiled in amusement, seeing Steve in a checked shirt and leather jacket. Oh, there were also red roses in his hands.

He is perfect for her. Damon chuckled internally.

"Hello..."

"Steve Rogers" steve introduced himself.

"Damon Salvatore" Damon said, shaking his hand.

He invited him in, y/n was standing there with a nervous smile on her face. But Steve didn't focus on that, he was regretting coming there especially with roses.

What was he thinking, she was definitely with someone else. Hell, she even had a ring, where there was his once. And why does he have to bring those damn flowers?

His self-loathing were interrupted by her worried voice, "Are you okay steve."

He was about to reply when Damon jabbed in, "must be zoned out seeing you" his comment made Steve frown.

But y/n glared at him, silently warning him. "C'mon let's go eat dinner, I am starving." Damon walked away, leaving them alone.

Steve cleared his throat and gave her the flowers, though he was feeling weird giving her them now.

She gave him a bright smile, "thank you" and took the flowers from him.

They both walked towards the dining table where Damon was already for them.

Damon knew he should have left them both but he didn't. He was thinking to start something about y/n's past when Steve wasn't there before his friend changes her mind of telling him everything.

Suddenly Damon noticed Steve gaze towards y/n's hands. He smirked seeing her daylight ring on her ring finger. He knew what Steve was thinking.

Damon cleared his throat before speaking, "I gave it to her" he said making both of them look at him.

y/n frowned in confusion. Damon pointed at the ring, "the ring. Though it wasn't on that finger" he chuckled.

Steve got embarrassed getting caught but y/n was gaping in shock. She didn't even remember wearing that ring on the ring finger. She did it to get rid of the boys at the club.

"When did I give it to you hun? In 65? You kept it all these years?" Damon said in a fake surprising voice.

"Shut up Damon" she was seriously pissed at him, her tone made him shut his mouth. Steve looked at her in surprise, he never heard her talk in that tone.

y/n sighed and looked at Steve. There was no way back no, she had to tell him everything before he just assumes the worse.

Like her and Damon being together.

"Steve I need to talk to you" her serious voice made him nod his head. Damon tried to control his smile, he was successful in his plan.

"And no it's not about me being engaged with this jerk here" she continued. A part of Steve was relieved hearing that, even though he would never confess it.

y/n looked at Damon with an 'I'll deal with your shit later' smile. "Will you please get out of here now?"

Damon nodded without taking an offense and walked out of the house. y/n sighed. It was weird than she thought, maybe because he was thinking that she was with someone. She never even imagined he would think like that.

But now she had to clear it first then the main problem. "Look I am not with him, or anyone," she said.

"You don't need to explain y/n, it's alright if you..." he stopped seeing her glare.

"Let me speak please Steve. I am not with anyone. I didn't move on from you. I didn't want to" she had tears in her eyes.

"This is just to keep the boys away," she said showing her ring. "I couldn't wear yours after..." it was getting hard for her to stop the tears from falling.

"But this is not the point here, right. You need to know I the gell I am still alive" she chuckled.

"This is not how would say it but... yes," Steve said, patiently waiting for his answers.

"Damon is older than me." Steve raised his eyebrows at her.

"I met him after your..." " then somehow everything was getting better, he was such a good friend to me. He reminded me of you and bucky." she was all lost in that time.

Suddenly Steve's phone started to ring. He pulled out his old flip phone and pressed the button to accept the call.

Y/n didn't know who it was but she was annoyed. Now that she had decided to confess everything, everyone was interrupting her.

Steve stood up after the call. y/n looked at him with questioning eyes.

"It was Fury, he wants me there," Steve told her, he didn't want to go but he had to go.

y/n grabbed him making him stop, "it's a mission" she knew it was but Steve didn't answer her. There was a weird feeling inside her, she didn't want him to leave, again.

But she didn't stop him, she closed the distance between them and brought her face near his and kissed his cheek.

"Be safe. And please come back" she whispered, looking into his eyes.

Steve placed his hand on her face and nodded before turning towards the door. She didn't know it was just her feelings for him or something bad was really going to happen.
.
.
.
A/N: So, as I'm done with my mids here's a new chapter as promised! 👀✨