Chapter 21

The day finally came, she would become an Avenger, the day when she would meet Steve after 70 years.

She still didn't think, what she would tell him, maybe because she didn't have to think. There was nothing to think about, she would tell him the truth. The question was how she would tell everything.

"You're thinking too much" there comes her friend's voice. He wanted to go with her but he knew he couldn't.

He was going back to Mystic Falls. But he was still worried about her.

"Look, I already told you, if the Captain did anything stupid, I could always compel him," Damon said smirking. She rolled her eyes at him. 

"Sure, as if I'll let you do that"

"look, y/n. I know you are worried.  But everything would be alright. Maybe he would act weird at first, but he wouldn't leave you if he loves you. And if something bad would happen, I'll be there for you. You'll always have me with you, I won't let him hurt you." She looked at Damon, she would never get used to seeing an emotional Damon. She went near him and hugged him tightly. 

"Now, go before I change my mind and come with you. He said, pushing her off. She frowned at him and pouted.

They both went out of the house and sat in their cars, going to their own ways.

~

She was walking towards the conference room, fury in front of her leading to the way.

She kept neutral expressions but her heart was beating fast. She was feeling anxious. Fury didn't say anything except for greeting her.

They reached the room and she entered inside, taking a deep breath.

She looked around everyone, searching, the face she wanted to see for years. To look into those blue eyes which once gave her courage, gave her comfort. But she couldn't find them. He wasn't there.

Fury started to introduce her when tony cut him off, " I think someone's missing! Capsicle is not here" 

 Fury kept looking at him, making him roll his eyes. "The Captain is not here. Can't you see that?" He added in an annoyed tone.

"I can see that very well, Mr. Stark. I think we should continue if you don't mind." Fury said before looking at everyone.

"As I've already told you about her. Her name is y/f/n. She has enhanced reflexes. After completing her training she'll join you officially. Agent Romanoff, I want you to make her ready." Fury told everyone. 

Nat nodded looking at y/n, giving her a little smile. 

"Can you demonstrate to us your powers?" Suddenly, Tony said. 

She looked at him, deciding if she should scare that little boy she once knew or not. But he wasn't little anymore, so before anyone could blink, his back hit the wall with a jerk and her hands were wrapped around his neck lightly. 

He looked at her with wide eyes, he was surprised by that sudden attack. Y/n smirked at him, "Is that enough?" 

He chuckled and held his hands in surrender. 

"I think you should go now." Fury said to her. She turned towards him and went outside without saying anything. 

Everyone was smirking at Tony but he was looking at y/n with a frown, trying to remember where he had seen her before…

~

"Have you met him before?" Fury asked her. 

"Stark? He was a little boy when I first met him." She replied chuckling. 

"I'm guessing, you compelled him too." She didn't reply, just nodded.

"Where are we going?" She asked thinking where he was taking him. 

"I hope you are prepared with your speech. Gotta let you meet the team Captain. I hope you impress him if you want to be a member of the team." Fury said with a smirk. 

She couldn't react to his words. All the courage she was feeling before, faded. Her breaths got short, she started to feel panicked.

But she knew she could back out, not now, not anymore. She had to push herself. She had to overcome her dark thoughts. 

They reached where Steve was waiting for them.

"I'm gonna leave you here. Meet the Captain and let him know your worth, just like you did before. And don't worry about anything, there are no cameras there. Now go inside." He said before turning to go in the opposite direction.

She inhaled and pushed the door and entered.  She was pounding as if it would come out of the chest. Tears in her eyes, ready to fall. His back was facing him, making her feel, he came from the war. 

As if, a few years had passed and he was back after winning. Waiting for her to open the door of her house, waiting to welcome him with a big smile and open arms. As if he kept his promise to come back home to her. 

But that feeling wasn't real. The reality was painful. He got late. Decades passed, not a few years, that was reality. She died, he died, only to come back, that was reality. He wasn't outside her door waiting, she wasn't home to welcome him with open arms. 

This was a reality.  She wanted to change it, but would he want that anymore, with her.

The door closed with a thud. Steve turned around to meet her.

But when he saw the face, he wanted to see before going to ice, the face he wanted to see after being brought back. The face he thought he would never see, he was seeing right now.

He didn't move, thinking it was just an illusion. If he would take a step, she would fade away. 

She took a step towards him, "S...Steve" she whispered, the wetness in her eyes falling on the face.

He sighed hearing her voice. He didn't want to believe she was real but she felt real. 

She took hesitant steps near him, she could read his face. She knew how he was feeling.

She cupped his face with hesitant moves, giving him a sad smile. He leaned into her touch closing his eyes.

Her familiar touch, making him realize she wasn't an illusion. She was there with him.

He opened his eyes to look into her wet ones. He tried to say something but she hugged him tightly. He wrapped his arms around her body, which now felt little against his. 

They both remained like that, she was savoring the moment, fearing she would not get this chance after explaining everything...