15 | mother of the year

★

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU took the bait," Mandy admitted, staring at the new jacket Steve/Jimmy had bought her. Recently, the two girls had been hanging out a lot more, and Amara had to admit that she enjoyed the company. Mandy was funny, she had a good heart, and she also knew how to stick up for herself. It was like the two were platonic soulmates, they were practically best friends at this point.

"Hey, he bought me a really expensive pair of shoes too. These are the best shut up gifts I could ever ask for. I've been needing a new coat. You just can't let anyone know that you know, okay?"

"Okay," Mandy replied, settling herself onto the bed. "I can't believe he bought Fiona a house."

"I know! I would die if a guy bought me a house. And the one across the street as been abandoned for years. It used to belong to our old history teacher from like seventh grade."

"Huh," the other girl mused. "I think he offered me money to give him a blowjob once."

Amara gagged, before laughing. "God, men are disgusting."

"Yeah," Mandy agreed. "Totally gross."

A few hours later, Amara sat in the Gallagher's living room, fighting over a bowl of popcorn with Ian. "You bitch! This is mine!" He yanked it out of her grasp, the pieces of kettle flying everywhere, some landing and sticking in her hair. Before she knew it, she was breathless with laughter, the entire room echoing with everyone's voices.

Steve walked in, placing his coat on the rack, before stepping into the living room. There was a brief pause when he met Amara's gaze, but she gave a subtle nod, silently telling him she wouldn't say anything. He'd already bought her quite a few things, Silvia and Debbie as well. She wasn't about to completely become a sugar-baby.

"Missed you, stranger," Fiona said, greeting him, and Steve bent down to give her a kiss before sitting next to her on the couch. Amara nearly laughed out loud at how ironic the sentence was.

Steve leaned forward, grabbing some popcorn out of the bowl on the coffee table. "This popcorn is burnt."

"Our microwave sucks," Fiona stated, but then turned to give him a pointed look. "That doesn't mean I want you to buy us a new one." Debbie suddenly walked in, slamming the door behind her, her face as white as a sheet. She almost looked like she'd been crying. "Debs?" Fiona questioned. "Honey, what happened?"

"Dad have one too many again?" Lip asked, and Amara kicked his foot from across the couch.

"You just gotta ignore him when he's like that, Debs," Ian advised.

"Why do you guys always blame dad first?" Debbie wondered, her gaze scanning throughout the group in front of her.

"Who else is there?" Fiona replied, looking confused.