1: A Gift

*Logan POV*

I'm sitting in my room. Actually, stuck in my room is more accurate. Because I'm grounded.

"Logan, can I come in?" my mom asks.

"Yeah," I say.

I turn away from the door as she comes in.

"Look, honey, I'm sorry. But-"

"I gave you no choice. I need to learn how to control this otherwise I'm going to get in big trouble one day. So I should just stop now before someone catches me. Then I tell you I have no control over this and that it's unfair that I'm grounded. Then you tell me this is for my own good so I can't hurt anyone. Or are we going with a different speech this time?" I say.

Every single time, I get the same exact speech. Mom sighs.

"I guess I do tend to repeat myself. But it's still true," she says.

"I still have no control! You think I want this?" I ask.

"Honey-"

"Just go away," I say.

I look up at her. My mom loves me, but she just doesn't understand this part of me. Neither do I, but that doesn't mean I want to be locked up every time I use it.

I don't try to use my ability, it just happens. Sometimes, just out of nowhere, the lights might go so bright they burn out, or something just blows up for no reason. It always happens when I'm around, and usually within 5 feet of me. Always me. So I must be the cause.

Even with all the time I have to myself in my library of a room, I can't find any information about my ability. The most I've found is an article or two online about something similar. That's it. No leads or information on the person who caused it, or even what exactly.

"Logan, dinner!" Dad calls.

"Coming," I shout.

The last thing I want to do is sit with them and have them glancing at me every five seconds, but I have no choice.

---

Dinner was as I expected, which is to say long and uncomfortable. I quickly go back up to my room and grab a book. I don't care which one it is, I just want to get my mind off things.

The book turned out to be an informational one all about the different types of energies in science.

I pass the hours by reading and researching. Not that I'll find anything new on my ability, but it's still worth trying.

As the hours pass by, I have nothing much to do. I solve all my Rubix cubes three times over and reread a lot of my books. I don't dare try using my ability. This is what I hate about being grounded.

At around midnight, I decide to go to bed. I have nothing else to do but sleep. 

I wake up when my lights flick on. They're dim, but still bright enough to alert me something's wrong.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hello, Logan, is it?" a stranger asks.

I reach for the hardcover book under my pillow.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my room?" I ask.

"My name is Thomas Sanders, head of Sanders School of Magic. I'm here because I want to offer you a place at my school," he says.

"Magic? That doesn't exist," I say.

It doesn't. It's silly to believe otherwise. I think I'm just having a very strange fever dream.

"You're right, it doesn't. But 'school of magic' sounds better than 'school of energy harnessing and manipulation'," Thomas says with a small laugh.

I hold my stern gaze. If this is real, then I'm very suspicious. Why would he show up in the middle of the night, in my room, and not even try contacting me in the first place? A simple Email or an actual letter would be fine.

"You're questioning why I'm here, and why now," Thomas says.

"Maybe," I say, "And perhaps I'm merely confused as to why a complete stranger is in my room in the middle of the night,"

"I'll admit, our methods aren't the best, but you are also a unique case. Not many parents choose to ground their kids and hide them away instead of taking them to the doctor or something, and you are stuck here so often we can't get ahold of you," Thomas explains.

"Ok, so then why are you here in the middle of the night?" I ask.

"Would you rather I come and explain this to your parents as well, and why their parenting methods caused this?" he asks.

"I guess not, but you could come around when they're not home," I say.

"But would you talk to me then? Or pretend you're not home?" he asks.

"You know, you don't have to answer all my questions with questions," I say.

Thomas sighs.

"Look, I'm inviting you to my school. You can learn to control your ability there," he says.

"That sounds interesting. But how can I trust you? Because this whole introduction is very suspicious and creepy in general," I say.

"I know it is, and we should probably update our system. But here's my proof," Thomas says.

He takes a deep breath, and suddenly all the light in the room comes towards him, forming an orb around his heart.

"This," he says, "Is the manipulation of light energy. One of the hardest to learn, and hardest to master. You have to find all the layers and forms of light and drag it to your central point. For me, it's my heart," 

He moves his hand around the ord, and it shifts to six different colors. Red, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, and purple. He waves his hand once more, and the light disperses back into their original places.

"So, are you in?" Thomas asks.

"Yes, I think I will join you," I say, "When am I leaving?"

"Tomorrow. Your parents will be getting a letter from a prestigious boarding school, inviting you there. The rest of the instructions will be on there," he says.

"Wait, it's October. Why would I be getting a letter now?" I ask.

"It got stuck in the mail, maybe? I'm not that good at coming up with excuses, usually, my partner does that. The vice-principal," he says.

I nod.

"I'll come up with something," I promise.

Well, here's a new story. And it's a sorta high school AU. And magic AU. So I hope you enjoyed reading, and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments! Have a wonderful day/night you magnificent peep!