Chapter 2-Anatomy and Physiology

Anatomy and Physiology is one of the hardest and most competitive classes at the college. The class structure is it meets 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, in an accelerated format. The students who take it come from different majors within the health sciences. Many of the students who are required to take Anatomy and Physiology are aspiring to be in the health professions, but some are from other science and math related fields, which are generally male dominated.

A very significant portion of students who take Anatomy and Physiology, however, will either fail or drop out, because they've underestimated the difficulty of the class. To do well, which only a small fraction of students do, the class requires that students memorize vast amounts of complex information regarding the human body in a short period of time. It requires many, many hours of study, even for the brightest of students.

It lays the groundwork for students' future studies, but it is also what one might refer to as a "weeder" course. Its challenging nature is designed to "weed out" the students who aren't smart enough or serious enough about the material to handle the difficulties that are sure to come in their future coursework in the medical, engineering, scientific research, or other fields of the health sciences.