-40- Setback?

-40- Setback?

About two weeks ago Yibo was released from the nursing home and now lives with Zhan and his family under one roof. Zhan lovingly takes care of Yibo and brings him every day to the day clinic for therapy, where he stays at Yibo's side and then drives home with him again.

Often Yibo was so exhausted from the therapy that he fell asleep in his wheelchair on the way home. Zhan then brought him carefully into the room and together with his father, who was then usually already home, they put Yibo to bed.

Sometimes Yibo was still so exhausted in the morning that he often didn't even want to get up and go to therapy. But Zhan always managed to motivate him. But since two days Yibo was feeling very bad and he could not get up. He had pain and fever.

When the doctor came, he called an ambulance to bring Yibo to the hospital. He needed a thorough examination, because the doctor suspected that Yibo's right kidney was not working properly anymore and that he suffered so much because of it.

Zhan walked up and down the hospital ward the whole time. Although the doctor at the nursing home had already explained to him that Yibo might suffer from late effects of the coma, but he hoped that it would not come to that. And now Yibo was here in the hospital and it was unclear if he might lose his kidney.

Hour after hour went by and Zhan was still waiting for the doctors to tell him what happened and to finally see Yibo again.

When the doctor finally came out of the door, Yibo was lying on a hospital bed and was taken away by two nurses. Zhan stopped the doctor and demanded an explanation. The doctor said, "Well, it looks like it's the kidney. We're taking him to a colleague in internal medicine now and then we'll have to operate him anyway because he has an infected appendix."

Zhan followed the nurses and Yibo looked at him with relief when he saw Zhan. "I'm glad you didn't go. Stay here with me." He said to Zhan before he was pushed into the next examination room. The fourth since they arrived at the hospital.

Once again Zhan had to wait outside while Yibo was in this room, being checked and examined by three doctors. And it took another full hour before one of the doctors came out to talk to Zhan.

"I'm sorry that we kept you waiting. We didn't know you are his legal guardian." Said the doctor.

"Well, I'm just his guardian until he can take care of things himself again. But how is he? Is it his kidney?"

"Well, I can reassure you, he won't lose his kidney. But he has a kidney stone and it's giving him grief. But we' re dealing with that. He will need surgery for his infected appendix. We have to take it out. But we need your consent for that."

"Yes, of course." Said Zhan, who was relieved that Yibo wasn't going to lose his kidney.

Still, Zhan was worried. Because of the operation he will have to stay in bed again for a few days and at the therapeutic centre of the day clinic they told him that a day without training can lead to a setback. And here it was not just one day, but several days.

Immediately he called the therapist at the day clinic and told him about the upcoming operation. He reassured Zhan and said: "At the moment it is important that the operation is done. And I can come to the hospital and do some light exercises with him. But only two days after the operation. Yibo will not suffer any setback if he takes a break for two or three days. His muscle development is very good and his movement is improving fast. We'll catch up quickly."

Relieved about this, Zhan then told Yibo about the phone call and signed the consent form for the operation. They had another half hour together before Yibo was taken to the operating room.

"I don't feel like staying here. I hate hospitals." Yibo complained.

"Mmm, me too. But we can't change that now."

"But you know what the worst part is?

"What's the worst thing?

"That you can't sleep beside me tonight. I hate that." Replied Yibo.

Zhan didn't like the idea either, but there was nothing he could do about it anyway. So he promised Yibo he'd come in the morning and stay till the evening. And as soon as he was allowed to go home, they would be able to share a bed again.

When Yibo was taken away for his operation, Zhan discovered a lost soul. At first he was not quite sure, but when he saw a nurse walking through the middle of the young man, it had been clear.

Zhan went to the lost soul and asked him what he was doing here. "I thought I would find my body in a hospital." He said to Zhan.

"Well maybe this isn't the right hospital." Zhan replied.

"I've been to all the hospitals in the city, but I couldn't find my body."

"Maybe it's in a nursing home or your family is taking care of you at home."

"You think so? I feel like I don't have family here."

"Do you have any idea how long you've been separated from your body?"

"At least a month. I walked past a fashion store, and in its window were clothes I wore. I heard the salesgirl say the clothes went on sale a month ago."

"A month ago. OK, let me check something." Replied Zhan. He took his cell phone out of his pocket and went through the accident reports for the last two to eight weeks. Then he saw an ad and said, "Oh, damn."

"What?" The young man asked.

"So, your name is Pierre Morales. You came to France and came here for a holiday. Together with your friends, you were going to spend two weeks in Beijing, and from here you wanted to go to Taiwan. You planned, it says here, to make a proper trip through Asia and to visit many countries and cities. But after a visit in a nightclub, you got into a fight with some bullies. One of the men hit you so hard that you fell and hit your head. Your friends and the brutal bullies didn't even notice how you bled to death." Explained Zhan.

Pierre Morales looked at Zhan in confusion and began to cry. "I remember. I got between Thomas and one of those guys and suddenly I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and fell to the ground, then it got dark."

Since Zhan can see the lost souls and help them, it's not the first time he's met a lost soul of a dead person. He knew that these souls could not go to the afterlife until they knew their name. They just wouldn't go, would probably rather face it. Because they are so eager to find out who they are that they simply refuse to go to the afterlife.

But Zhan also knew that once they knew their name, it wouldn't be long before they left. The soul suddenly lights up brightly and then disappears. And so it was with Pierre Morales. One minute he was desperate and crying. But as soon as this bright light enveloped him, he smiled and disappeared.

Zhan couldn't believe that all this had lasted less than 20 minutes. From finding the lost soul to disappearing, not even 30 minutes. That was definitely Zhan's best time.

Over the past few days, Zhan had often been ashamed that he had not only abandoned his task as a medium to help lost souls, or even been pursuing it at all, since Yibo awoke from his coma. But somehow no lost souls came to him either. Not like before, when they discovered Zhan and asked him for help. It surprised him a lot.

When Yibo's operation was completed, they took him to a room. Zhan got goose bumps as he entered the room, because the sight he saw reminded him of the months of viewing in the nursing home. Seeing Yibo motionless in bed again, frightened Zhan.

He sat down beside the bed, took Yibo's hand and stroked it. And fortunately, it didn't take long before Yibo woke up and smiled in agony. "ZhanZhan don't cry, I'm awake." Said Yibo.

Zhan, who hadn't even noticed that he started to cry softly, looked up at Yibo, jumped up from his chair and kissed Yibo for joy. "God, I hate that sight so much." Zhan muttered after explaining to Yibo that he was afraid for a moment that Yibo might slip back into a coma.