-36- My future

-36- My future

POV YIBO

Yibo woke up in the middle of the night and saw Zhan sleeping beside him. He looked at him with a smile and found that Zhan was lying asleep like a curled up cat and his soft snoring sounded almost like a purr.

He was still very exhausted from having tried to make himself noticeable to Zhan the whole day. He had also tried it for a short time with his brother, but gave up when his father came. He didn't want his father to notice that he was awake.

When he was still in a coma, he had been able to notice what was going on around him from time to time. And so he could not only know that Zhan was with him every day, but also overheard a discussion between Zhan and Hai Kuan.

They talked about Yibo's father and that he was covering up for the crime of Yibo's stepmother. Yibo had wished he could wake up and scream at that moment. How could his own father not stand behind him and help him? As his son, didn't he have every right for his father to stand by him and help him? Which loving father would allow that his son would be wounded somewhere fighting for his life and bring his wife home in peace? Should he not look for his child in this case?

Yibo did not want to return to this house with a father like him. Besides, he wanted to move out before that. He should have worked for the company here in Beijing long ago. Maybe he would have found Zhan, too, and they would have been a happy couple for a long time if all this hadn't happened to him.

Right after he got the job offer and wanted to find Zhan, Yibo wanted to leave this house. He had always hated it there and stayed only because of his father and brother. But he would have preferred to leave there long ago.

Right after his father's wedding, they moved into this house. A house where a woman killed herself after her husband and two children died in an accident. She killed herself in the room that was his. Sometimes he imagined that he could still hear her crying in that room.

Yibo kept looking at Zhan and whispering softly and with a hoarse voice, "You are my future and I never want to be without you again."

Of course, Yibo was still shocked and a little angry because Zhan almost left him that very evening. The whole day he struggled to show Zhan that he was awake and tried to stop him from leaving. And the moment Zhan turned away, when he could hear Zhan going towards the door, he finally managed to open his eyes and speak.

It hurt to speak and his eyes couldn't stand the bright light, which made them tear. But it wasn't just the light that made them tears, it was the view of Zhan walking towards the door, the man he was desperate to wake up for, the man he loves so much.

The moment he saw him leave, he wanted to stand up and would have liked to slap Zhan in the face. So angry and horrified he was when Zhan went to the door.

Over and over again for the past almost five months, Yibo was awake for brief moments, hoping each time Zhan would notice. He hoped the monitoring devices in his room would sound the alarm, but nothing happened and he kept drifting off into a coma again and again.

But from the moment Zhan told him he would leave soon, he fought like crazy to finally come out of the coma and stop Zhan from leaving.

When the night nurse came into the room, she tore Yibo from his thoughts. She smiled at him and asked if it was really okay for him to have his visitor sleep beside him. Yibo smiled and said, "He is not a visitor. He is my boyfriend." His heart immediately beat faster when he heard himself say that Zhan is his boyfriend.

The nurse looked at the monitor and giggled. "I see, the love is great, isn't it?"

"Yes, very much." Said Yibo.

"From the day he found out you were lying here, he came here every single day taking care of you. He even took over your care and didn't want the nurses to do it anymore, except for a few elderly caregivers. Sometimes he even came here early in the morning before work, washed you or helped put you in the bathtub, washed you and never let anyone else touch you. Some of the young female nurses whined constantly about how much they wanted such a boyfriend."

"Sounds like he was jealous, from what I hear."

"I don't know. Maybe he just wanted to take care of you himself. But now you should get some sleep, too. The doctor will come after breakfast and your muscle-building training starts today too. So you should rest and gather your energy."

"Mmm, I will. But, nurse? Could you do me a favor?"

"Of course, what is it?"

"I want to lie on my side and put my arm over him. Can you help me?"

"Yes, of course." She said, gently turning Yibo on his side. She put Yibo's arm over Zhan's hip and covered them both up. Then she said good night to Yibo and left the room.

Yibo moved his fingers up and down and tried to stroke Zhan. Zhan, who woke up from this, smiled and laid closer to Yibo and said, "I love you Yibo."

"And I love you ZhanZhan." Yibo responded calmly. He closed his eyes and snuggled his head against Zhan's.

When the first two young nurses came into the room in the morning, Yibo noticed them sneaking out again and through the still open door he heard one of the nurses say that she thought it was a pity that Zhan really doesn't seem to like women. Yibo had to smile and was happy inside. Because of the fact that Zhan doesn't like women, he can be with the person he loves. He didn't feel a bit sorry for the nurse. When it comes to his Zhan, he has no pity. Zhan belongs to him and to no one else.

Another hour later, Zhan woke up and automatically took over the care of Yibo. Now that he's awake and really is aware of everything, he was a little embarrassed that Zhan washed him from head to toe even before they came closer than holding hands, hugs and kisses. But at the same time he was glad that it was Zhan and not one of those young nurses.

When breakfast came and Yibo saw this mushy, vomit-like mass in the bowl in front of him, he wanted to say he wasn't hungry. But since Zhan took it upon himself to serve the food, he ate it without complaining. The nurse had explained to him that his stomach would have to get used to solid food again and that's why he was given this porridge. But as a reward for eating it all, he was allowed to nibble on a handful of pretzel sticks.

Shortly after breakfast, as announced by the night nurse, the doctor arrived with his training and nutrition plan specially adapted to Yibo. He also explained to Yibo that he could soon be transferred to a special facility where they could ideally take care of Yibo's needs. But Yibo had other plans.

"I want to be with my boyfriend and not in another facility. I can spend the day there and face the training, but I don't want to stay there overnight." He told the doctor.

"So a day clinic? Well, we could arrange for you to be picked up in the morning and taken to the day clinic, and in the afternoon you'd be taken home." Said the doctor.

"Yes, something like that." Said Yibo.

"Well, I would agree to that. And I just talked to my family on the phone and my parents wouldn't see a problem. They'd support me." Zhan explained.

Yibo was glad they talked about this during the breakfast, after Zhan heard that Yibo was about to be transferred and told him about it. Zhan immediately called his parents and explained everything to them and they agreed immediately. And because Zhan had turned on the speaker, Yibo heard his family say in unison, "We're looking forward to finally meeting your boyfriend and we're glad he managed to stop you from making a big mistake."

And Zhan's family also said they would prepare the room right away. Yibo is very grateful to them. And is also looking forward to meeting Zhan's family. Just during this short phone call, he could hear how much Zhan's family loves him and even him, as a stranger, they are ready to welcome and take care of him together. At that moment, even Yibo felt loved by them without knowing each other.