-4- Silence

-4- Silence

After their super strange experience at the convention, Zhan and Chuyue decided not to say a word about it to others. It would be too embarrassing for them if anyone else found out that they imagined they had talked to the dead Miss Ann Yung. Zhan and Chuyue were sure that they would point their finger at the two and laugh at them.

Still, particularly Zhan didn't let it go. Why did it happen to both of them? One of them could have imagined it. But two together? That could only be explained by saying that there might have been some substances in the air that took away the ability to think clearly.

Who knew exactly what the spiritual leaders were smoking? They whirled around with smoking bundles of some herbs and in just a few moments the whole hall was filled with this smoke and stench. Who could tell if there weren't some consciousness-altering substances.

And that's why Zhan and Chuyue decided to keep quiet and not to tell anyone else what happened.

As Zhan sat in the editorial office and went through his notes, something else went through his mind. The man mentioned an accident caused by Miss Ann Yung. That was a year ago, and at that time, Zhan was still writing about the accident reports.

He opened his folder with his saved articles and looked for the date. It only took him a moment to find the right article. He opened it and reread what he had written then.

"After the last day of the convention, the 68-year-old Miss Ann Y. wanted to drive home from the convention hall. According to reports, she was in poor health and seemed very tired, so she was offered several times to drive her home. But she refused everything and wanted to drive herself. Only five minutes after she had left, she crashed unbraked into a group of cars at a red light. The police assume that she fell asleep behind the wheel. There were four slightly injured, three moderately injured and one seriously injured motorcyclist who was the first person she hit. The motorcyclist was immediately taken to hospital and had to undergo emergency surgery. According to the doctor, the young man has little chance of survival. Miss Ann Y. died at the scene of the accident."

And he wrote a second article about it. "The young man, the victim of a traffic accident, died only days later. The doctors did everything they could to save his life. Unfortunately, without success. The saddest thing was, the 26-year-old left behind not only his grieving parents, but also his wife and his one-and-a-half year-old daughter. In a small circle, the family bid farewell to their beloved son, brother, husband and father. Our deepest condolences to the family of the late Lee P."

Zhan remembered again. He had spoken to Lee Pier's mother, which was his real name. The mother, who was originally from France, explained that since she followed her husband to China, they had been unlucky. And now her beloved and only son was also taken from her. She said she wished that this old woman would burn in hell.

But what upset the mother the most was that hundreds of followers of Miss Ann Yung said goodbye to her and nobody even tried to at least express their condolences to the family of the deceased. All of them were only interested in Miss Ann Yung and they forgot that through her fault she took the life of an innocent young person.

At that time, she had even shown Zhan pictures of her son. At first sight he looked like a Chinese man, but he had unusual blue eyes and was nearly two meters tall. His daughter also had blue eyes, she even had blond hair and did not look Chinese at all.

Zhan wondered if perhaps unconsciously he remembered the accident and therefore imagined talking to this woman? And because Chuyue was already with him at the time to photograph the scene of the accident, it was quite possible that he, just like Zhan, unconsciously thought of the accident. Only that they didn't see the connection.

At least that would be a satisfactory explanation for Zhan. Because the other way around, it would otherwise mean that he and Chuyue were talking to the ghost of Miss Ann Yung. And what are the chances of that? Besides, he was thinking about the stranger almost all the time, so it wasn't unlikely that this was the reason why it came to his mind.

But if Zhan was honest with himself, he just didn't know anything. He only knew that he and Chuyue were in that hall, that many herbs had been burned there and that the two of them imagined talking to a woman who died a year ago. And no matter how he turned it around, he did not believe that it was possible that he and Chuyue imagined exactly the same thing.

However, to admit that it was possible that all this spiritual stuff might work after all, Zhan found it much harder than to admit that he was under mind-altering drugs and just unconsciously remembered Miss Ann Yung.

Since Zhan thought he was wasting enough time thinking about the Dead Woman, he started writing his article. When he finished, he looked at the pictures on Chuyue's memory card. He needed some more good pictures for his article. And while he was clicking his way through the more than 300 pictures, he suddenly got stuck on a picture that Chuyue had taken of him.

On the picture Zhan was standing in front of one of the stands and watching a card reading, for a woman, about mid-twenties. There were many other people standing around him watching the fortune teller. But these just didn't attract Zhan's attention. It was the bright light right behind him. He enlarged the picture and suddenly, it looked like someone was standing behind him and had his arms around Zhan's waist.

Confused and incredulous about what he saw there, Zhan rubbed his eyes. But nothing changed. He even called a colleague and asked her what the picture looked like to her. And she looked at it with big eyes. "What is this?" She asked him. Two other colleagues came and looked at the picture. They all were as confused as Zhan.

Together they kept clicking through the pictures, in case it was just a coincidence. And whenever Zhan was shown in a picture, there was also the light figure. Sometimes the figure held Zhan's hand, sometimes it embraced Zhan, and then in one of the pictures, it looked like the figure was kissing Zhan.

"And that's why I don't like all this spiritual shit. It's fucking scary." Said one of Zhan's colleagues.

Zhan himself had goose bumps, and yet, that light figure looked familiar. Or at least it didn't scare Zhan. He felt he knew this shape. But who could it be? Had someone close to him died in his surroundings? Could the soul of a loved one who had died, really be with him? Perhaps his grandfather? Or his uncle? Well, he was close to both, but, would they kiss him?

When Chuyue came to Zhan to ask him about the memory card. Zhan showed him the pictures. Chuyue shaked himself and then picked up his camera and took a picture of Zhan. He gave Zhan his memory card and together they looked at the picture. They both stared at the picture with their eyes wide open and their mouths open, and a figure of light seemed to crouch next to Zhan.

Both immediately looked at the spot next to Zhan. But there was nothing to see. Not the slightest hint of light.

Zhan printed this and the other pictures of it and decided to ask the only person he knew for his opinion, who he knew wouldn't call him crazy and might even have an explanation for all this. His grandmother!

His grandmother had always been a very spiritual woman since Zhan can think, and often claimed to be able to communicate with ghosts and lost souls. And that's why most of the family had turned away from her.

But his parents did not. They said that she was just a confused woman looking for attention. No one had ever believed her when she talked about talking to a ghost again. Zhan was one of them. He had not believed a word she said. But now he thought that maybe not everything she said was a lie. And if she really can see ghosts, then maybe even the light figure?