-23- Zhan's dream

-23- Zhan's dream

Zhan sat in his room in the evening and typed a few thoughts into his notebook. He had been doing this for a week now and somehow it was good for him to just let everything out that was going through his mind. He took a short break, took a big sip of water and then started typing his dream from the late afternoon at his grandma's house.

***

The dream...

Zhan was immediately aware that he was dreaming as he stood in front of the Wang's house and looked through the window to the living room. He had also been unable to get into the house for some reason and so he stood in front of the window and watched Wang Yibo, who had just come home from work and met his mother in the living room.

It was already dark outside and slowly a thunderstorm was approaching. The soft grumbling of the thunder could already be heard from a distance and here and there he also saw some lightning. The air already smelled of rain and Zhan was sure the storm would soon be here too.

Yibo entered the living room and his mother greeted him smiling with a kiss on the cheek. Zhan couldn't understand what they were talking about, but it had to be something good, because both were smiling. After the short greeting, Yibo and his mother sat down at the dining table, which is in the living room in their house, and had dinner together.

Everything seemed harmonious and nothing indicated any difficulties between the two.

After dinner Yibo and his mother sat together on the sofa in the living room. Yibo held his mother's hand while they both watched an episode of his mother's favorite show. How did Zhan know this? Well, he didn't know it himself.

About half an hour later, Mrs. Wang fell asleep on the sofa and Yibo still sat with her. Zhan assumed he wanted to tell her what happened in the meantime while she was sleeping.

The thunder became louder and louder and a fresh wind came up. The lightning came closer and soon the storm would be right above them. For Zhan, it felt like the air was becoming electronically charged.

When Mrs. Wang woke up after a short nap of 20 minutes and looked at Yibo, her gaze changed suddenly. Suddenly, she jumped up and screamed something that Zhan couldn't understand. Yibo also got up from the sofa and discussed with her.

After a moment, Yibo reached into his pocket and gave his mother an envelope. She opened it and took out the money that was in the envelope. She counted it twice and suddenly threw it at Yibo's feet. He gestured with his hands and said something that Zhan wished he could understand.

But Mrs. Wang did not respond to Yibo. Yibo turned around and went to the stairs, but when he wanted to go upstairs, his mother blocked his way. She pushed him away from the stairs and took a packed travelling bag from a clothing store near the front door and pressed it into Yibo's hand.

Yibo put the bag on the floor and again he and his mother discussed until Yibo, shaking his head, took the travel bag, put on his jacket, took his helmet and left the house with the travel bag. He stopped at the door and shouted into the house: "You are completely deranged. How can a person change like that within two years? How can a normal person change his own nature from loving to malicious several times a day and not even notice it?"

A bright flash of lightning whipped across the sky, followed by a thunder. Mrs. Wang came to the front door and yelled, "I told you to leave. I will not let you tell me that I greeted you lovingly and even had dinner with you. I was asleep, that's all!"

"Are you crazy or something? For years you've been the wicked stepmother who pretended to be loving and caring all the time in front of people. But we know you were never nice. How many times have you told Hai Kuan and me that you only accepted us because you can't have children of your own? And then suddenly, two years ago, you changed. Suddenly, you took turns being nice and evil, always claiming that you couldn't remember. Just like today! You should have a serious check-up!" Yibo yelled back as he searched in his trouser pocket for his keys to the motorcycle.

"Just get out of here. I can't stand your face anymore and I won't let you drive me crazy by saying things about me to confuse me. How can I be nice to you and eat with you when I'm sleeping? Don't you think I realize you're trying to drive me crazy? Is that how you're trying to get rid of me?" His mother yelled back.

Yibo sat down on his bike when he found his keys. He put his travel bag between his legs and cursed, because it slipped back and forth. And before Yibo started the engine he said to his mother: "I wish you could finally decide who you want to be. The loving mother or the evil stepmother!" Then he drove away.

In the next moment, Zhan was standing on the deserted country road, it started to rain heavily, it thundered and flashed alternately and he saw Yibo coming towards him on his motorcycle. He rode slowly and again and again he had to adjust his travel bag. Suddenly a car came up behind him with high beam lights.

Yibo drove to the side of the road and tried to let the car pass, but suddenly the car speeded up and headed straight towards to Yibo. Yibo tried to jump off the bike but did not make it in time before the car hit him and his bike.

Nothing happened for minutes. Yibo lay injured in the rain on the road and nothing moved in the car. But then the driver's door opened and Mrs. Wang got out of the car. She ran to the motorcycle and looked at Yibo. When he raised one of his arms, Mrs. Wang cursed and grabbed him by the hand. She dragged him by his hand through the high grass to the river, Zhan could even see how Yibo lost his bracelet. When she reached the river, she simply let Yibo, who was unconscious, roll down the slope into the water. She watched as Yibo's body floated away from the water.

When she was back in her car, she made a calm phone call. Then she put her head back and fell asleep again. Only briefly, maybe ten minutes, but when she woke up, she suddenly screamed. She almost jumped out of the car and ran to the motorcycle. She kneeled in front of it and cried bitterly. She called out for Yibo, ran back and forth and even to the river, but couldn't find him.

Her hands were shaking so much that she couldn't even manage to dial the emergency call. And suddenly, a second car arrived, it was Mr. Wang. He put his arm around his wife and took her into his car. Then he went to Yibo's motorbike and whispered softly: "Where are you boy? I hope you are well. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

Zhan changed his location again without his intervention and had returned to the place where he thought Yibo might have made it out of the water. He saw Yibo floating in the water and with his last ounce of strength he managed to swim to the riverbank. And then suddenly an old woman appeared. She had something black hanging from her shoulder that was sort of chirping.

She pulled Yibo up from the riverbank with great effort. Zhan could see Yibo's soul leaving his body and tried to tell the old woman to let him lie. Again and again he shouted, "No, please, let me lie there."

Suddenly the old woman raised her head and said, "You will die if I leave you there. She'll find you and she'll kill you."

Yibo suddenly started running away from his body. He ran and ran and Zhan followed him unwillingly until Yibo suddenly stopped and looked around in confusion. "Why am I here? Who am I?" He asked and slowly walked on. And just like Yibo, the storm was moving on and Zhan was awakened from his dream.

***

In Zhan's room

Zhan wrote the last paragraph of his dream and then saved everything. He closed his laptop and went to bed. Something was wrong with Mrs. Wang, it was now clear. But what caused her sudden changes in her nature?

Zhan now knows the sequence of events of the evening when Yibo had his accident. But what made Ms. Wang do that? What changed her so much? And when will Yibo finally come back?