-8- No report

-8- No report

When Zhan was back in the editorial office, he searched the database archive for the accident reports from a year ago. He hoped to find a report about the accident of Wang Yibo, which also led to his disappearance. But no matter how many accident reports he looked at. Wang Yibo's was not among them.

But Zhan didn't want to give up yet and looked for reports at the missing persons, but even there he couldn't find anything. Had Wang Yibo's parents not reported his disappearance? And why didn't the police report the accident to the newspaper?

Usually, accident reports are always reported by the police. And since Zhan works for a well-known daily newspaper, it's unlikely they didn't get a report. Unless, the police station in the small village hadn't reported it. Even though helicopters and search dogs were being used?

Zhan thought about the short conversation he had with the brother of Wang Yibo. Wang Hai Kuan told, that they were looking for his little brother for days and days, and that the police from the village were very restrained in their search. They had already given up on Wang Yibo when they didn't find him after three hours of searching. According to them, he was injured and confused when he went to the waterfall, fell into it and was drifted away. They assume that he drowned and his body cannot be found because the streams of the river made him drift away.

"While everyone in the village and also the inhabitants of the neighboring villages went in search of Yibo, the police in our village had been sitting in their police station doing nothing." Wang Hai Kuan had said.

"Why didn't they participate?"

"Because they couldn't stand my brother. They disliked him because of his homosexuality. The old chief of the police department had often threatened to arrest my brother if he caught him with any guy. But Yibo never did anything wrong. He never hurt a soul and was always shy and reserved. The old chief left four months ago, now they have a new one, but he doesn't want to look for Yibo again, because the accident happened so long ago."

"And did the police at least have the motorcycle checked? If another vehicle was involved, there must have been marks on the bike."

"I don't think they ever looked at it. It was towed away and certainly hasn't been inspected since. I'm not even sure they didn't secretly scrap it. Because whenever my father called and asked for the bike to be returned, they said it is not possible."

"So you think maybe they were covering something up?"

"Absolutely. They are hiding something!" said Hai Kuan, clenching his fist in anger. Zhan could understand why Wang Yibo's family felt this way. Now that he found no reports about the accident and his disappearance.

After Zhan had written, as he thought, probably his most boring article about the designer and his fondness for certain fabrics, Zhan made his way to an appointment with a concert promoter. He wanted to have an article written about the upcoming concert of Hua Chenyu, for which Zhan also has a ticket. For once, he would not see the concert as a reporter, but as a fan.

When he arrived at the organizer's office and wanted to enter the hall where he had an appointment with the organizer, he found it locked. He rang the bell and tried the other door, but it was locked as well.

He waited ten minutes before calling the organizer on his cell phone. He seemed very nervous and excited when he accepted the call. Zhan asked him where he was and he said: "I called the editorial office to get the appointment postponed. My wife is in labour, our baby didn't want to wait until the birth date. But it will still take a while here. If you're not up to anything else, you might as well come down to the hospital and we'll talk for a minute."

Zhan found it inappropriate to interview someone, while his wife was in a room next door and giving birth to their child in pain. But since he had no other plans, he went there.

When he arrived at the hospital, he immediately went to the birth station and found the future nervous father sitting in front of a room. Sweat dripped from his forehead and his hands were shaking. When he saw Zhan, he stood up and greeted him friendly. "I am sorry that we have to do our interview here. But I have no real choice. The concert is already this Friday and the article wouldn't be published in time."

"Mmm, that's okay." Zhan replied and began his interview, while cries of pain could be heard from the room behind them.

To speed up the interview, Zhan simply recorded it on a tape recorder. And so it took them not 30 minutes, but 10 minutes. Afterwards he took some pictures of the organizer with his mobile phone and then wanted to go back to the editorial office to write his article.

But somehow he was drawn to the emergency room first. He was looking for a doctor he had talked to many times before, when he was still writing accident reports. When he found the doctor, and the two of them had exchanged a few pleasantries, Zhan asked him, "Can you remember having had a patient last year who had an accident and might have been pulled from a river?"

"Here in Beijing?" The doctor asked.

"No, a small village." Explained Zhan and told him the village.

The doctor pondered for a few seconds, which seemed like minutes to Zhan. But then shook his head and said, "So many patients come in here every day, I can't possibly remember anything like that. But we had one patient who was badly injured and soaked to the bone, who was simply left at the door. Unfortunately, the surveillance camera at the entrance could not record the person who dumped the young man. The young man was seriously injured, had no papers with him and after the successful operation he was in a coma. He was taken to a nursing home. But I do not know if he is still there. Unknown patients without relatives are often taken to some state-supported institutions and often moved from one institution to another. It is often very difficult to find out where the patient ended up. But if you want, I can check it out and see if I can get something out of it."

Zhan didn't know if the coma patient is Wang Yibo. The chance was minimal, but at least there was a small chance. So he said to the doctor, "That would be great. I'm looking for a patient named Wang Yibo. A year ago he had an accident on a country road. The police assume that he was injured and confused when he went to a waterfall, which is there, and possibly fell into the water. Since no body was ever found, it's possible he survived."

"Yes, it is possible. I'll try to find out something and get back to you. I still have your phone number." The doctor replied.

"Thank you, doctor." Said Zhan and then said goodbye.

He doesn't know why it's so important for him to find Wang Yibo, maybe he feels sorry for the young man's family. Maybe it's his natural curiosity as a reporter to find out what happened. Anyway, what Zhan knows is, he'll stay on this case. Because he believes there are some secrets that should be discovered.