-35- Asshole

-35- Asshole

Zhan hadn't even realized what was happening and was able to react accordingly when the door to the room opened and a sister came running in. It was only now that Zhan noticed the alarm that one of the two monitoring devices sounded. He had completely missed it.

The nurse saw that Yibo is awake and pressed the red button, which was installed especially for this case, above the light switch and called the on-call doctor. It took less than two minutes for the doctor to arrive in the room, luckily he was just next door. He immediately began a thorough examination on Yibo, while Zhan was still standing there in shock, in the middle of the room. When the doctor wanted to send Zhan out of the room for this, Yibo immediately shook his head.

For almost an hour, the doctor examined Yibo, who did not let Zhan out of his sight for a moment. It was as if he feared Zhan might leave as soon as he looked away. But Zhan was too shocked that Yibo suddenly woke up just as he was about to leave and was unable to simply leave.

Zhan always thought it was overdone and even ridiculous when something happened in books, series or movies, like defusing a bomb just two seconds before the end of the countdown. The sudden appearance of a helper or some other kind of rescue was also part of it. But now, two seconds before leaving the room, Yibo woke up and struggled to say anything. This was neither overdone nor ridiculous for Zhan, it was a miracle for him.

When the doctor gave Yibo a liquid he had to swallow, he told Yibo that he would soon be able to speak without pain again. Only then did Zhan realize how much effort it must have cost Yibo to speak to him in pain. And that only to call him an asshole. Which he is, as he himself had already admitted to Hai Kuan.

After the thorough examination, the nurse asked if she should inform Yibo's family. But Yibo shook his head and said in a hoarse voice, "Not yet. It can wait." And looked Zhan straight in the eye.

Before the doctor left the room, he explained to Yibo that he wanted to make a recovery plan for him now, so that he would get fit again quickly. Then he and the nurse left Zhan and Yibo alone in the room.

Zhan still hadn't moved and just stood there, not knowing what to say or do. Yibo, whose headboard of his bed had been moved up so that he could lie higher, asked hoarsely, "Do you know why you're an asshole?"

"Yes." Zhan replied succinctly.

"Do you? I think not. Cause there's lots of reasons."

"Like what?"

"Come here to me, and I'll tell you." Yibo replied.

Zhan moved very slowly towards Yibo's bed. He felt so guilty, he wanted to run away. He was ashamed and hated himself the most right now.

When Zhan arrived at Yibo's bed, he sat down on the chair next to it or at least wanted to. But Yibo shook his head and pointed to the place next to him on the bed. So Zhan sat on the edge of the bed and took Yibo's hand, which he held out to him with great effort.

"You are a big asshole for not keeping your promises. Not only did you promise to wait until I woke up. You promised to be there for me and you promised that you and I could be a couple then. You promised to dance with me. You broke all those promises! How can you say you love me and then just want to leave me? If you really love me, why don't you stay here and face it?" Yibo asked hoarsely.

"Because I have a task too and I wanted to learn how to do it. And I didn't know if you would remember anything."

Yibo looked at Zhan angrily and said, "What does it matter if I remember or not? You knew I loved you even before my stepmother tried to kill me! It would have made no fucking difference if I could remember my time with you as a lost soul or not. You must have known that I would have been happy to see you anyway! And to use your task as an excuse is ridiculous.You were a coward and you would have rather walked away than to accept that I might not remember you!"

Now it was clear that Yibo remembered. And that made it even harder for Zhan to keep up his facade. 

"You know, Zhan, I never thought you could be such an asshole. You even made my brother cry. He sat here and cried because he didn't want my heart to be broken. I've never seen my brother cry before. Congratulations, you did it!"

"But I..."

"But what? I've been awake the whole day, struggling to show it to you. But when my father came, you disappeared for hours!"

"There was no alarm that you woke up. The devices respond to heart rate, pluse and brain activity.

"So? I was still awake. Even so, I moved my fingers to show you I was awake. I can hear everything!"

"I'm sorry, Yibo. Really, I'm sorry. I didn't realize. I've been so wrapped up in myself that I didn't notice."

"Because you were only thinking about yourself and not me! I can understand why you were afraid I wouldn't remember you. But that's no reason to run away. So? Do you still want to run away now? If you are, then just go. Go to the airport and get lost if you really care about learning how to help souls. Leave me here alone like you planned."

All Zhan could do was shake his head. He wiped his tears from his eyes and just didn't know what to say. The thoughts in his head spun around, making him unable to grasp a single thought.

"And you know what else wonders me, Zhan?"

"No, what?"

"You said you Iove me and want to be with me. Then why do you keep kissing the person you love on the forehead? Would it have been too much to kiss me on the mouth?"

"Of course not Yibo! I just thought, what if you wake up and I give you a kiss when you can't remember anything?"

"If the man I loved before all this, had kissed me when I woke up, I would have been happy!"

"I'm sorry, Yibo."

"You should be. Now give me a kiss. Because I can't move and get that kiss myself."

Zhan leaned over and gave Yibo a little peck. Yibo shook his head and said, "Not like that. I want a real kiss"! So Zhan bent over again, intertwining his fingers with Yibo's and kissed him well. And it was like he put all his emotions into that one kiss. Because suddenly he felt free, free from all his worries and fears, so that there was nothing else left but the love for Yibo.

"ZhanZhan, I hope you will not leave me. I want the man I love to stay with me. Do you think you can stay with me?"

"I will stay with you Yibo. Even if I have to go to the village every day. I promise I'll stay with you."

" Now about that. I wanted to wake up 90% because for you. And 10% to tell my father, I don't want to go home. I don't want to go back in that house."

"Then where will you stay?"

"I want to stay with you, ZhanZhan. I want to live with you. Could you imagine that?"

"Well, I gave up my room and the room has already been rented. We'd probably have to stay with my parents until we find a new place."

"So that's a yes?"

"Yes, Yibo. I would be happy if we could live together."

"I promise I'll recover quickly and get a job so you don't have to pay alone for everything."

"Yibo, take your time with your recovery. It'll take you a long time to recover. Don't worry about the money. I have savings and when we go to my parents' house we won't have much of a cost. I can go back to my old job too. I just need to call my boss."

"But I don't want to live on your expense ZhanZhan."

"Mmm, I know. I know, but I want you to recover in peace and calm. And I want you to study. I saw your graduation and I know you can do a lot. So use your intelligence and your talents and become what you always wanted to be."

"I never had any other desire but to dance. Well, and maybe become a cop. Or working for the secret service, that would be great too."

"Then dance. And we'll talk about the dangerous jobs when you graduate from the university." Zhan said with a smile.

Yibo got tired, so Zhan wanted to go to his parents' house. But Yibo begged Zhan to stay with him. And after the nurse gave her OK, Zhan lay down beside Yibo and after three or four long and very loving passionate kisses, they fell asleep together. And Yibo somehow even managed to put his hand on Zhan's butt and hold him tight.