-37- All under one roof

When Yibo's father and his brother found out that Yibo is awake, because he called them from Zhan's mobile phone, they wanted to bring him to their home. They came immediately to the nursing home and even wanted to start packing Yibo's belongings, when the doctor told them that Yibo has to stay at least another week and then will move to Zhan's family at his own request.

And although they knew that Yibo still needed a lot of rest, they argued with him because they wanted them all to live under one roof again. Zhan was furious at how little consideration they had for Yibo's health and when it was enough he said loudly, "Enough! Yibo has made a decision and you should respect it. He will not move back in with you. But you can always come and visit him at our home. And now you should respect his health, because Yibo still needs a lot of rest!"

"Oh, yeah? Now you're acting up. And just yesterday you wanted to leave him!" Said Yibo's father.

"And what about you? You deserve the title, worst father. Knowing that your son could be injured somewhere and need help, all you could think of was bringing your wife home in peace instead of looking for me! Zhan has explained himself to me and I understand him partly. But I will never understand you dad. I am your son! How could you let her do this to me? How could you even lie to keep people from looking for me? You want to blame Zhan? You should be ashamed of yourself and glad I didn't report you!"

"Yibo, my son, I know I made many mistakes and wasn't there for you as a father But that doesn't mean that I don't love you. And you're turning only 21 years old, don't you think you should be with your family?"

"No. I don't. I should be studying or working. In fact, I would have lived and worked in Beijing long ago if your wife hadn't tried to kill me. And for what anyway? What did I do to her?" It was only then that Zhan realized that Yibo didn't know everything. But he also thought it would be better to wait to explain it to him when he was feeling better.

"Yibo, don't think about it now. First of all, it's important that you make a full recovery. There' s still time for everything else." Said Zhan.

"She was going to get your life insurance money. That''s why she tried to kill you. You only had to disappear long enough for her to have you declared for death. But because she insisted that no one look for you, there was no missing persons report and therefore no proof that you might be dead." Explained a police officer who stood in the doorway.

No one had noticed him coming and Yibo was so horrified and angry that he started shaking all over his body. The doctor who also came into the room raised his voice and said, "Everyone except his boyfriend, get out! The patient needs rest and apparently the only one who understands is his boyfriend."

The doctor already pushed almost everybody else out of the room. When Yibo was better after a few minutes and he had stopped shaking, he spoke to the police officer. They talked for only a few minutes and only about Yibo's father. Because the police investigation also made them believe, that Yibo's father was at least an accomplice and helped to cover everything up. Yibo didn't even have to report him himself, that happened automatically.

And in a short conversation in private, the officer explained to Zhan that Mr. Wang, in order to get his wife's money, even forged documents. Another crime he committed, which was accused of, and which only led the officers to suspect that the father had probably known about all that was happening.

After a very hard first training with a physiotherapist and an ergotherapist, where Zhan stayed at Yibo's side the whole time, Yibo could rest and sleep a little.

When there was a knock at the room door at about 4 pm, Zhan went to see who was there. There were his parents and his two siblings who wanted to introduce themselves to Yibo. With Yibo's permission, they came into the room and greeted Yibo very calmly.

They brought him a few cups of fruit porridge with, which he is allowed to eat and even bought a massager to stimulate the muscles. Carefully they put the massage mat under Yibo and set it on the lowest level. Yanli, Zhan's older sister helped Zhan to massage Yibo's arms and legs. While Cheng, Zhan's little brother, prescribed Yibo some vitamins that even small children get when their immune system was weakened.

Meanwhile, Zhan's father served Yibo a fruit porridge and talked to him calmly. "This was all very much for you today and we will not stay long. We just want to make sure that you have everything you need to regain your strength quickly. I'm also leaving you my cell phone so you can call Zhan or us anytime you need anything, if none of us are with you. Besides, I'm not using the phone anyway. I don't understand any of that tech stuff." He said to Yibo.

"That's very nice, thank you." Yibo replied shyly.

"Oh, no, I thank you. Especially for loving our son and making him happy. I haven't seen him smile so much in a long time. Besides, we are happy if we can help you and in our family you are very welcome. And Zhan's grandmother can't wait until she gets to meet you too. She wants you to know she thanks you for fighting to wake up and stop Zhan from leaving."

"Mm. I'm glad I stopped him, too. I think I might have even gone to Africa to bring him back if I had to." Yibo replied with a grin, looking at Zhan.

"And we would have paid for the plane ticket, believe me." Said Zhan's mother. Making everyone laugh.

After a total of one hour, Zhan's family said goodbye again. Zhan's mother said, "We will visit you for an hour every day. We'll help Zhan to apply lotion and massage you. And as soon as you can be transferred, we will be waiting for you at our home. We have arranged a room for you and Zhan downstairs. It's all at ground level, and you'll be able to use a wheelchair and walk with walkers without tripping."

"Wow, you're really gonna put me in a room with Zhan?" Yibo, who since his coming out as a homosexual had experienced almost exclusively rejection and even dislike, as Zhan knew, was completely overwhelmed.

"Yes, of course. You two are a couple, why shouldn't you sleep in the same room together?" Zhan's father asked.

"I don't know. I didn't think you would be so open-minded about it." Yibo replied.

"My wife has always said since Zhan's birth that he will never love a woman and make a man very happy one day. She was practically waiting for Zhan to say he has a boyfriend. And we are all open-minded and just happy when our children are happy. It doesn't matter to us as parents what gender they love. They should be happy, because that' s so important to us." Said Zhan's father before they left the room.

When Zhan and Yibo were alone again, Yibo said he envied Zhan for his parents and already likes his family very much. Zhan laughed and said, "Remember, you are part of it now and they will shower you with love as well my siblings and me."

Zhan lay in bed and cuddled up to Yibo. Proudly he thought of his parents and how happy he is to have been born into this family. Sure, they're not perfect either, but for Zhan, they're close to it. And he is already looking forward to seeing how they will also protect and guard Yibo with their love and devotion. Taking him into their family and showing him what family really means.